Virtavia B-29 Released - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Virtavia B-29 Released

Still a WIP - well look at the colour of the girl's hair for chrissake!!!
    Hair? What hair??
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

Anybody having trouble with simmarket.com installer???
    I have multiple erros with this plane in installation as lack of folders and files: texture.bump donŽt exist, there are many textures missing. Tried to reinstall 3 times with the same effect. (Antivirus disabled).
    IŽll try download the installer again. :isadizzy:
    Flavio - P3D v4.5 - MSFS 2020 - Win 11 Pro 64
    i912900KF 5.2ghz - ASUS TUFZ690 - AIO Cooler Master PL360 Flux Masterliquid - 32gb Kingston Fury 3600mhz - Asus RTX 2080 Super - AGON 32'' AG323FCXE 165mhz -
    MCP 737R 2015 Virtual Avionics - SSDs M2 2Tb+1Tb XPG

Quote Originally Posted by DaveQ View Post
    Just uploaded 42-24749, 'Tanaka Termite', 874th Bomb Sqdn., 498th Bomb Group, Saipan 1945 with the earlier T square 32 tail marking. I've put in a modified prop.dds file for those wanting to have a circular prop disc.

Next is 'Jokers Wild', 42-24626, 871st Bomb Sqdn., 497th Bomb Group, flown by Lt. John W. Lawson and lost 3rd January 1945. 15 mins after bombs gone, the aircraft dropped out of formation and communication was lost. It was never seen again. Still a WIP - well look at the colour of the girl's hair for chrissake!!!
    Superb Dave

Thanks Dave!

This also looks like an interesting variant:

"Jack's Hack"

From this picture it also looks like not all B-29 had the same finish.. this one for example has a much more polished/mirror-like finish. I wonder if that's achievable. Also, a general problem I discovered with the stock textures is that they are way too shiny when enabling bloom. Not sure how Virtavia did it, but bloom should be considered when configuring the reflection factor. Carenado / Alabeo usually test their add-on with bloom to make sure it won't look odd.

Quote Originally Posted by adi518 View Post
    Thanks Dave!

"Jack's Hack"

From this picture it also looks like not all B-29 had the same finish.. this one for example has a much more polished/mirror-like finish. I wonder if that's achievable. Also, a general problem I discovered with the stock textures is that they are way too shiny when enabling bloom. Not sure how Virtavia did it, but bloom should be considered when configuring the reflection factor. Carenado / Alabeo usually test their add-on with bloom to make sure it won't look odd.
    Nice! Without knowing this particular B-29, museum aircraft tend to be much more polished than in service aircraft. So it might not be historically accurate if you want to show it as it was in service.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Quote Originally Posted by adi518 View Post
    Thanks Dave!

"Jack's Hack"

If I had a good enough colour photo I'd have a go at 'Jack's Hack'. I'm no artist so I have to use images and Photoshop. As for metallic finishes, it's always been one of the greatest challenges to get it even remotely right. Almost every photo looks different and, as Jens-Ole says, in service they were never as polished as museum pieces. However 20th AAF B-29's were kept pretty clean by ground crews who regularly polished them with gasoline; whether one was ever set alight as a result is not recorded....!

DaveQ

Has anybody done or is doing WWII scenery for the Northern Marianas btw? Would fit the Superfort beautifully!
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

If I had a good enough colour photo I'd have a go at 'Jack's Hack'. I'm no artist so I have to use images and Photoshop. As for metallic finishes, it's always been one of the greatest challenges to get it even remotely right. Almost every photo looks different and, as Jens-Ole says, in service they were never as polished as museum pieces. However 20th AAF B-29's were kept pretty clean by ground crews who regularly polished them with gasoline; whether one was ever set alight as a result is not recorded....!

DaveQ

Has anybody done or is doing WWII scenery for the Northern Marianas btw? Would fit the Superfort beautifully!
    Dave, I have just about completed most of the Marianas in WWII time frame. Over a year long project. Includes all the Islands north of Saipan, Tinian and Guam. Shouldn't be to long now. Finishing the north and northwestern airfields on Guam now. Shouldn't be to long. The scenery will include static B-29's with the proper tail identification for all islands. Tinian has an area were the A-Bombs were loaded. I will be using Mark Schimmers A-Bomb objects with complete underground pit and raising wenches. Back to work on it today. It is Called Marianas 1945.

Here is a very old video of some of the early scenery with the Shockwave B-29. Video HERE
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

Stovall, good news. Cant wait too!
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

That dose look impressive Tom looking forward to it

Many thanks Tom - I'll look forward to being able to put these magnificent aeroplanes where they truly belong

DaveQ
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

General information: if you fly her over 340, 350, 360 mph, there's a chance the controls could lock up. The ASI reads MPH so that should make it easy to maintain speed.

Quote Originally Posted by mal998 View Post
    General information: if you fly her over 340, 350, 360 mph, there's a chance the controls could lock up. The ASI reads MPH so that should make it easy to maintain speed.
    I had this happen but I'm pretty sure I wasn't overspeeding. Strange.

I had a stall recovery yesterday that put it into a steep dive and had the controls lock because of an overspeed. Fortunately I had just enough height to level off and recover. But one thing that puzzles me is that the aircraft needs full right rudder immediately after the wheels leave the ground, to maintain a heading. This diminuishes as speed builds up and once the flaps are up. And it doesn't occur on landing but can occur if you put on full power for a go-around; it almost behaves like a single engined fighter with prop torque. I would assume the real aircraft had props geared to eliminate prop torque but maybe not, and is that how this model is set up??

DaveQ

What's the logic behind the controls locking?

No particular logic, but why would you want to fly an aircraft well beyond it's rated maximum speed? That is unless you want to kill yourself and your crew, and tear the plane apart.

But seriously, reading through the original B-29 Pilot's manual there were a ton of restrictions placed upon pilot and crew as to how this aircraft was to be flown. It was a beast and required careful attention regarding it's flight envelope and procedures. There were quite a few accidents and crews were lost because of it. Having said that, the overspeed/control issue was something I tried to eliminate but never did find the cause. Anyone who has ever worked on an airfile will know the frustartion of sorting those little bugs out. Finding the causes of things and then correcting them can be infuriating. In the end I ran out of time and had to move on.

DaveQ,
    That's odd. How do you have your realism sliders set up? I know you already know this but I'll say it anyway, re-calibrate your controller, check your weather settings for crosswinds. The real aircraft did not obtain rudder control until 60-65 mph. Pilots were told to maintain directional stability through the use of the throttles. However, I think that's asking a bit much of the simulator pilot. I would like to hear a bit more about the issue, though. Maybe we can figure out what's going on.

Attachment 95190

Thanks for this Mal, it's fascinating to read the original notes and how they match with the FS experience. The yaw problem I know is at least in part down to the vagarities of my particular Logitech controller, which hangs to the left when I grip the stick. But it is just the sudden pull to the left on rotation that I've had to learn to correct for which I now can, and can fly a fairly straight course off the runway so I'm content. It's always to the left even in the absence of a cross-wind component, which is why I suspected a torque issue, but the controller grip twist is a significant compounding factor. Not to worry, I'm loving this beast!!

Thanks Dave for the positive words. They are much appreciated in that we usually hear about what's wrong rather than what's right so I am glad you're having a happy experience with the "beast". Now, as for the controller issues, I have a couple of thoughts; first, I've always had an aversion to controllers employing a twist grip for rudder function. To me they seem to lack a certain amount of precision because they attempted to marry 2 functions into one which to my mind is anti-ergonomic (made-up terminology). Realizing that one can get use to just about anything, I always felt uncomfortable twisting the stick while moving forward and back at the same time. That is why, when my old Saitek X-35/X-36 hit the skids I replaced it with an X-45. I preferred the older X-35-36 version but could not find any on Ebay. That's probably because I bought them all up. At any rate the thing I liked about the old Saiteks was there were 2 separate controllers that plugged into each other. One was a joystick, but the other was a throttle that employed a rocker switch on the underneath of the handle that activated the rudder. Very ergonomic, and very natural to use. The other issue with most controllers is the contacts wear out and as you have already mentioned with your twist grip you can end up with a pronounced pull to one side or another. I'm sure the Saitek or Windows software allow you to re-calibrate and center the rudder function but if the contacts are worn this will be a never-ending issue.

As far as control lockup, there was a condition known to pilot's and aeronautical engineers alike called compressibility. Here is a brief description of the phenomenom: "virtually all of the high performance a/c would enter compressibility in a dive, speed depending on Critical mach number of the wing. The complications that arose were formation of a shock wave at the point where the velocity was greatest over the wing - leading to separation, change of center of lift, turbulent flow over stabilizer, etc"

Here is a page from the B-29 Pilot's Operating Manual as it pertains to putting the B-29 in a dive (pg75)

Attachment 95206

I had a stall recovery yesterday that put it into a steep dive and had the controls lock because of an overspeed. Fortunately I had just enough height to level off and recover. But one thing that puzzles me is that the aircraft needs full right rudder immediately after the wheels leave the ground, to maintain a heading. This diminuishes as speed builds up and once the flaps are up. And it doesn't occur on landing but can occur if you put on full power for a go-around; it almost behaves like a single engined fighter with prop torque. I would assume the real aircraft had props geared to eliminate prop torque but maybe not, and is that how this model is set up??

DaveQ
    Hi Dave,

All engines and propellors turn the same way so the torque is not eliminated in any way unlike the P38. I have the Haynes manual for the Avro Lancaster and there the BBMF describes the same: enormous torque (rudder) corrections needed during take off. At go-around the same: lots of torque and prop wash at low speed with little stability. I try to counter the effect by frequent rudder input and differential throttle settings.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by ftl818 View Post
    Hi Dave,

All engines and propellors turn the same way so the torque is not eliminated in any way unlike the P38. I have the Haynes manual for the Avro Lancaster and there the BBMF describes the same: enormous torque (rudder) corrections needed during take off. At go-around the same: lots of torque and prop wash at low speed with little stability. I try to counter the effect by frequent rudder input and differential throttle settings.

Paul
    Thanks Paul - very interesting. I fly the B-29 exactly that way; splashes of left rudder down the take-off roll keeps her on the centre line and plenty as the nosewheel comes off. Because she responds slowly to the rudder I centre it as soon as she starts to turn, then re-apply if she drift out to the left again. Flaps up incrementally from about 160mph, turn on heading when airspeed tops 200mph.

Mal - I read or heard somewhere that dive recovery can be achieved using the trim tabs if the elevators are locked by compressibility , though clearly you need enough altitude. Can't see the attachment atm.

Still enjoying flying her - if I can get permission to copy artwork there are two Korean War 19th Bomb Group repaints on-going though the models are strictly speaking inaccurate for that era because the radome only appears on the model without the turrets. Still they look great and it is only a hobby after all...........!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B-29 Dragon 2.jpg 
Views:	288 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	304

DaveQ

Looks Great Dave , strangely with all the reference material I have here i am very limited in regard to the Superfort tho Dragon Lady is one i do recall .
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();} else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Hi Ian

Dragon Lady was a B-29-50-BN, 44-61835, of the 30th Bomb. Sqdn., 19th Bomb.Group, flying out of Kadena, Okinawa. A great reference for Korean War B-29's is this one - http://home.comcast.net/~b29sinthekoreanwar/Units.htm. Dragon Lady was lost on 31st October 1951; about 40 miles out from Kadena No. 3 engine caught fire and caused an explosion that ripped off the right wing. There were no survivors. There are many such stories and references on the website above.

DaveQ

is this B-29 really worth it?? i was thinking about buying it Looks like a Nice Model
    Thursday, November 27 2014 I Lost My Best Friend My Uncle! He Was Amazing person He was a volunteer For Las Vegas metro Police he will be missed, I Volunteer with him Many Times With LVMPD And USFS

THOMAS CURTIS
    Thursday Nov 27th 2014

==Punisher of Arizona == Thin Blue Line

Hi Ian

Dragon Lady was a B-29-50-BN, 44-61835, of the 30th Bomb. Sqdn., 19th Bomb.Group, flying out of Kadena, Okinawa. A great reference for Korean War B-29's is this one - http://home.comcast.net/~b29sinthekoreanwar/Units.htm. Dragon Lady was lost on 31st October 1951; about 40 miles out from Kadena No. 3 engine caught fire and caused an explosion that ripped off the right wing. There were no survivors. There are many such stories and references on the website above.

DaveQ
    Cheers , Thanks for that Dave , I do have a scheme that has not been done yet is "The Big Stick" Z-44 of the 500th been plugging away at, surprised "Eddie Allen" has not popped up on the radar yet.

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();} else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus N210MS View Post
    is this B-29 really worth it?? i was thinking about buying it Looks like a Nice Model
    Yes definitely. It's likely to be the only FSX-native B-29 in the forseeable future and is an excellent overall representation of the aircraft. There are holes to be picked I guess but that's true of pretty much every add-on ever published. I only have two very minor gripes; firstly it would be good to be able to move the gun turrets, and secondly the range of external models is limited. That aside it flies well and looks great.

DaveQ

Members who have read this thread: 60