The Transcontinental Discussion and Questions - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Transcontinental Discussion and Questions

I think the A2A P-51 is pretty rugged in that regard, though whether you can run it at 71" for three hours or so remains to be seen. Historically, the later model Merlins could take a bit of a beating. I know from experience that the earlier Merlin in the A2A Spitfire I/II is NOT as durable and will cook quite spectacularly with only moderate abuse.

Well I tried it out last night, the WOP3 P51-D with accusim can go flat out at 71" MP in WEP for 90 minutes no problem (90 minutes I ran out of gas having only 2000lbs).

I ran the A2A P51 at WEP for about 10 minutes one time. An engine with near 80hrs on it. When I landed, the engine had much damage.

Thanks Roman for the scenery.

Hello All,

I may have missed it, but I did look ...

At least 3 days prior for a Team entry, but what's the deadline for a Solo entry?
    salt_air

Quote Originally Posted by salt_air View Post
    Hello All,

I may have missed it, but I did look ...

At least 3 days prior for a Team entry, but what's the deadline for a Solo entry?
    A Team Of One is still a team! Besides, the 3-day rule is slightly "squishy" and no legitimate entry will be turned away. As long as Miss Nelly is happy with the paperwork...
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

ATTN: RedGreen (Dave),

As you know, the question of unlimited War Emergency Power (WEP), or just very high manifold pressure, has been one of years-long debate. The current practice is clearly unrealistic and worth thinking about from time to time. Accordingly, we went to see Miss Nellie, expecting a long blackboard discussion of temperature, metallic alloys, and fluid dynamics. Instead, she had a quick matter-of-fact reply:

"There is no straightforward way to monitor or restrict the use of War Emergency Power (WEP). Since our requirement is to use the unmodified .air file and aircraft.cfg file, those aircraft that have unlimited WEP will be able to use it."

Several times, we have thought about doing a special event with Gunter "Teson." The event would be centered around his "Real Engine" addon program in order to introduce more realistic engine management techniques. To be sure, we have to be careful because some pilots just don't want to deal with such issues. And there are some practical issues in building configurations for the aircraft involved. Nevertheless, we would be truly happy to pursue the idea if people are interested.
    -Mike

Details on the Start and the Finish and on Scoring are now posted as NOTAMS in the Official Thread.

Please take a look to see if you have any questions about the "Flying Finish" system and the scoring.
    -Mike

An update to scenery - optional, FSX only.

Howdy,

Just added some small things to the scenery if you are running FSX. It adds a couple thousand spectators behind the scoring trailer along w/ airshow type static aircraft. (B-52, B-787, SR-71, SU-37, Blackhawk) These are all stock low poly models that come with FSX.

[INSTALLATION]
    -Just copy the "FSX_KFRG_CROWD.bgl" over to the Transcontinental 2013\scenery folder while FSX is closed.

Attachment 94600

Attachment 94599
    Roman

Insomnia has its privileges ------

And so does membership in American Express, alas it doesn't apply here

I created a spreadsheet located HERE so you can enter the title of your aircraft/paint that you will be piloting for the race. With the title entry users of FS9 can create an alias aircraft.cfg entry so at least something similar will show up in the multiplayer session regardless of the paint. For users of FSX and FSHost this can be made easier too, especially if one has 100s of aircraft in the hanger. Selecting just one type from a dropdown box of hundreds or thousands is kind of a PITA.

This provides excellent opportunities for realistic photo ops.

Nuttin worse than racing against a 400 MPH Cessna 172!

I donot know if the SOH server has a "auto" model picker or not.. ? Maybe an exercise in futility???
    Roman

Sounds good to me roman, I hate having to go through in fshost and change what aircraft people are in, and I do NOT have a large selection to draw from so usually just ending up picking some warbird i have. Although I wish FSHost would save those entries so i dont have to do them every time.

Great idea.

Great idea Roman, thanks! I was thinking about this issue yesterday as well. Your solution is perfect.
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

For what it's worth, an idea to share. I created 1 complete aircraft with just the parts needed to display in MP. Basically it boils down to

1. The panel folder aliases to the C-172 panel - for all aircraft since it will not be flyable.
    2. 1 Airfile for all aircraft since it will not be flyable. ( I used a corsair air file)
    3. The key part to the aircraft.cfg is just the [fltsim.X] entries, even then you do not need all the excess. (the rest of my aircraft.cfg is for a corsair)
    4. Separate sounds for engine types.
    5. Used just the model and texture(s) copied from the other aircraft in the hangar..
    6. Can just delete the aircraft folder once the race is over and it does not pooch up your aircraft in the hangar.

It took all of 45 minutes to make the aircraft and test while it took over 2 hours to find a freeware FW190 & P-51B.

EDIT - Just tested in FSX and it works just fine with the limited [fltsim.X] entries.. ( Except my FW190 model is not compatible :-( )

A screenie of the folder structure - Attachment 94607

And below is the key part of the aircraft.cfg, notice in [fltsim.7 & 8] Eamonn and ratty (Ian) are already entered :-)
    __________________________________________________ _________________________________________

[fltsim.0]
    title=CORSAIR
    sim=Airfile
    model=Corsair
    panel=
    sound=Big Radial
    texture=Corsair
    description=MP aircraft only
    ui_manufacturer=Transcontinental MP
    ui_type=Corsair
    ui_variation=

[fltsim.1]
    title=FW190
    sim=Airfile
    model=FW190
    panel=
    sound=FW190
    texture=FW190
    ui_type=FW190
    ui_variation=

[fltsim.2]
    title=P-38 number1
    sim=Airfile
    model=P-38
    panel=
    sound=P-38
    texture=P-38_1
    ui_type=P-38
    ui_variation=1

[fltsim.3]
    title=P-38 number2
    sim=Airfile
    model=P-38
    panel=
    sound=P-38
    texture=P-38_2
    ui_type=P-38
    ui_variation=2

[fltsim.4]
    title=P-38 number3
    sim=Airfile
    model=P-38
    panel=
    sound=P-38
    texture=P-38_3
    ui_type=P-38
    ui_variation=3

[fltsim.5]
    title=P-51B number1
    sim=Airfile
    model=P-51B
    panel=
    sound=P-51
    texture=P-51B
    ui_type=P-51B
    ui_variation=1

[fltsim.6]
    title=P-51B number2
    sim=Airfile
    model=P-51B
    panel=
    sound=P-51
    texture=P-51B
    ui_type=P-51B
    ui_variation=2

[fltsim.7]
    title=P-51D 'AD-809'
    sim=Airfile
    model=P-51D
    panel=
    sound=P-51
    texture=P-51_1
    ui_type=P-51D
    ui_variation=Eamonn

[fltsim.8]
    title=P-51D civ 'N5412V'
    sim=Airfile
    model=P-51D
    panel=
    sound=P-51
    texture=P-51_2
    ui_type=P-51D
    ui_variation=ratty (IAN)

[fltsim.9]
    title=P-51D number3
    sim=Airfile
    model=P-51D
    panel=
    sound=P-51
    texture=P-51_1
    ui_type=P-51D
    ui_variation=3

[fltsim.10]
    title=P-51D number4
    sim=Airfile
    model=P-51D
    panel=
    sound=P-51
    texture=P-51_2
    ui_type=P-51D
    ui_variation=4

[fltsim.11]
    title=Thunderbolt
    sim=Airfile
    model=Thunderbolt
    panel=
    sound=Big Radial
    texture=Thunderbolt
    ui_type=P-47
    ui_variation=
    Roman

For FSX users you can edit the planes.txt file in the FSHost client software folder.

You can add custom entries or simply change the default aircraft that shows up.

default_fsx = Cessna Skyhawk 172SP Paint2

Changed to

default_fsx = P-38J-camo

The default plane that now shows is the FSD P-38J-camo. Simply change the title line to what ever aircraft you prefer. It would be a good idea for it to be a frame rate friendly aircraft.

To reduce the frame rate draw on your system convert it to an AI instance.

Copy the aircraft.cfg entry and rename the title line to P-38J-camo AI. For that entry change the panel entry to

panel=AI

Do not create a panel.AI folder. You only want to point FSX to a non existent panel so the plane will not have functioning gauges. This will also prevent it from showing up in the aircraft selection menu.

If you don't want to listen to the default Cessna sounds find an appropriate soundai folder and drop it into the aircraft folder. The quick and dirty way to create AI sounds is to copy the sound foder and rename it to soundai.

Finally change your default aircraft in the planes.txt file to use your new AI.

default_fsx = P-38J-camo AI

Using custom replacements.

If you change the line

*Corsair* = Mooney Bravo

to

*Corsair* = Corsair 1C 1

Any Corsair that enters the sim will get that paint.

Below are some replacements you can do.

*P-47* = P-47D-20-RE MML
    *P-51* = P-51D 'Snooks'

These paints will only be replaced if you do not have the paint the user is using.

For FS9 changes similar changes can be made to the planes.txt file on the server. The issue becomes choosing aircraft everyone has that would be the replacement. That becomes too difficult to implement. Its also not as flexible as the FSX planes.txt file. For FS9 the replacement is shown even if you have the paint the other player is using.
    ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

Accu-Sim/Duenna issue?

At the moment I'm on a test flight in the A2A Civilian P-51 about 300 miles east of Long Beach. When I roll the cursor over the Duenna fuel box I get a pop-up message that reads "It seems to me you've got a special negative-fuel-flow engine".

I took off with full tanks (279 gallons), and I've used 95, and I think there may be a problem with the way Accu-Sim handles fuelling. You can't fuel the plane from the FSX Fuel Settings screen, though fuel changes ARE reflected there. Instead you use a pop-up window. Is it that the Duenna is confused? Or have you guys encountered and solved this problem before and I'm too dense to figure it out?

Ian

Not sure bud, I recently did a test with the P51-D Military version with accu-sim and the Duenna didn't report any problems. I would suggest you be VERY careful if you have the A2A fuel page up though, as you put your mouse over the fuel tanks and scroll your mousewheel it WILL change the fuel in your tank which may get Duenna all mad.

I didn't however hover over the duenna to see if there was any messages but there were no flags, everything green and validated when i landed no problem.

Thanks, Eamonn. I'll just keep my fingers crossed and hope it works out. And I am NOT going to open the fuel window until I'm down and stopped!

Pilottj did a test with the P51 Accusim, and was getting fuel faults in the duenna, because of the left wing fuel return.
    See this thread. http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...NON-PARTCIPANT

A question for Miss Nellie

Regarding the online first and last legs.

Having some trouble setting up online. Is this required to be in the race?

Hmm, that makes me wonder exactly accusim models that, as long as the overall weight balance continues to go down it shouldn't be an issue as I don't believe the duenna monitors each tank individually just the overall total. The only way this would trigger a duenna error is if accusim subtracts fuel from the tank then adds to the left tank and the duenna happen to catch a total between these steps and after it completed these steps, so after the deduction but before the addition.

Makes me wonder though, might have to do some monitoring myself of the internal FS values to see how accusim is doing this.

Well caught, Eamonn. The Mustang DOES pump fuel back into the left tank. I guess the pump delivers more than the engine needs and the system puts it in the left tank (assuming it's not full) rather than dumping it overboard. I remember seeing a mention in a thread on the A2A site. That's why you're supposed to start out on the left tank. It might even be in the manual but I haven't - er - read that thoroughly yet (only had the bird for 6 months!).

ratty & Eamonn (and any other Accu-Sim pilots),

It would be nice to have a proper procedure to avoid that stray pound of fuel being "added."

The Duenna simply monitors the weight of the aircraft (or maybe fuel) to guard against pilots' adding fuel mid-air. In this case, it appears that we have a minor glitch in the way that Accu-Sim models the fuel on board.

As for the race, please go ahead and continue flying if you see this particular message. Look at the Duenna textfile in the thread that robert41 links us to. You will see the message and quickly understand what has happened. Your own Duenna report should look like TJ's message. You will also note that TJ flew many legs and this message was rare.

When you are in the race, don't worry about the error and "leg invalid" indicator. Just assume that everything is ok. We can go back after the race and examine the Duenna textfile for any leg on which this event occurs – and validate it manually. Happily, there are only a few legs in this race.
    -Mike

Thanks Mike will do.

Its probably going to be quite rare as i assume the duenna has to pick up the values at just the wrong time to flag an error, but something to keep an eye on.

Thanks again

robert41,

Might you please check your Personal Messages? We would like to see if we can help get you online for the race.

We should be able to work around the start requirement for you, but the "flying finish" requires an online presence.

--M
    -Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MM View Post
    Procedures.
    (1) At 20-30 nm out of KFRG, you should announce in the MP chat box "20 miles out." RaceCon will confirm contact, and thus establish that the MP server is working properly. Your notification will also alert the official scorers of your arrival – they cannot "see" 20nm out.

(2) At 10 nm out, you may announce your arrival via chat box. RaceCon will confirm if possible.
    Hi "RaceCon",

May we be permitted to do this either Verbally or via a Teammate?

TIA,
    Rob O.

Quote Originally Posted by Great Ozzie View Post
    Hi "RaceCon",

May we be permitted to do this either Verbally or via a Teammate?

TIA,
    Rob O.
    Another trip through the glass door and into Miss Nellie's office. She looked at me with a blank expression. She paused. And then got that stern expression and looked at me twice. (I thought about my options for a moment and hoped that the door had not shut behind me…)

The Committee has set the Multi-Player chatbox as the dedicated channel for communication between incoming pilots and the official scorers, "RaceCon," on the ground at Republic Field KFRG. TeamSpeak may be noisy and a pilot's messages may get lost in the general conversation of many other pilots doing many other things. In the buzz of the finish, we expect RaceCon to focus on the chatbox and more-or-less ignore the banter on TeamSpeak.

For FSX pilots, the MP chatbox is part of the standard FSHost setup.

However, if the pilot cannot make the chatbox work, then he may attempt to communicate either through a teammate or through TeamSpeak. There are no guarantees in any case, but anything that confuses communications will make for mistakes in a busy environment.

Remember, the observers on the ground cannot "see 20nm away" and thus cannot reliably know that a pilot is approaching KFRG. Part of the reason to use the chatbox is to test the communications and confirm that MP is working for everyone. And the second reason is to alert those observers so that they are ready to mark the pilot's flying finish. The pilot in question seems to be a long-time veteran and might be among the pre-race favorites. If he arrives before the competition, he should be keen on having the official scorers ready to acknowledge his flying over the finish line. It would be a shame for them to miss the winner because he failed to communicate clearly with RaceCon regarding his imminent arrival.

That said, we shall ask RaceCon to make every effort to work with pilots for whom the MP chatbox is a challenge. If everyone makes an honest effort here, we are confident that things will work out well.

Any other special requests…?

I mumbled no, not at the present time. Then a quick thank you. And quickly left the office.
    -Mike