Alitalia Bankruptcy?

Thread: Alitalia Bankruptcy?

Alitalia Bankruptcy?

According to BBC, the Italian Airline "Alitalia" is a week out of bankruptcy.

Apparently they are one billion Euros in debt.
    Keep your airspeed up,

Jagdflieger

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...me=Jagdflieger

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty
    to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
    deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Benjamin Franklin

They could always claim it's not a real currency

I'd hate to see them go under, hopefully they can be saved if the story is true.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

While other European airlines merged to keep a big enough market required to survive, Alitalia remained on its own. A merge with Air France/KLM was cancelled in 2000, as Alitalia had an excessive amount of staff and it was impossible to negotiate with the unions about reducing this staff.
    Due to nationalistic sentiments fed by for instance Silvio Berlusconi the airline never merged and finally became too small to survive. Plans to save Alitalia didn’t really work and Alitalia already received financial support from the Italian state, banks and even their shareholders. This process is already running for over 13 years now.

Received financial support so far:
    Italian state € 300 (2008)
    Compagnia Aerea Italiana € 1100 (2008)
    Shareholders € 150 (2013)
    And currently their loss is estimated at 1 million Euros per day!.

I don’t think there is enough money to save Alitalia.

Just my 2 cents,
    Huub

I'm an aviation enthusiast like you all and it would hurt to see them go, the history they made, what they meant. But I'm also an Italian citizen and I say let them go under.
    The whole country is crumbling from the inside, thanks to decades of bad politics, corruption and clowns. The taxpayers can't afford Alitalia's black hole of money yet again, we already have our government for that, you know.

Quote Originally Posted by SixGhost View Post
    I'm an aviation enthusiast like you all and it would hurt to see them go, the history they made, what they meant. But I'm also an Italian citizen and I say let them go under.
    The whole country is crumbling from the inside, thanks to decades of bad politics, corruption and clowns. The taxpayers can't afford Alitalia's black hole of money yet again, we already have our government for that, you know.
    Sad state of affairs for sure, and its happening everywhere there are politicians without a moral compass. I am sorry to hear of yet another historic airline in this predicament.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Members +
    We have similar situations....Our AUTO industry for example..Adding to the causes ,of this,exempting the UNIONS would be not reflecting some real reasons..Here GM was bailed out,Unions and all.Only FORD was able to survive.FIAT controls Chrysler...So to in Italy,,Greece,Spain,..The concept of unlimited Entitlement society will bankrupt a nation...Austerity is a tough Pill once hooked on free handouts...As Far as Politicians everywhere? They Promise and Give, The People Put them in, Only The People,can take them out..But They Do Not! All Will not give up free stuff! which gives Politicians the chance to take and abuse..There are no free rides...Again GREECE,SPAIN ,ITALY are examples of this..All Should look inward..and realize All Must Live In Its Means And Budget..Ciao Bambino..Vincenzo!<label for="rb_iconid_25"></label>

On the upside, on-time performance has continually improved over the last four to five years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alitali...d_load_factors

The article also states that this is *not* the original Alitalia, but basically a new airline using the same name - and having less of the financial burden of the original one.

Let's see how long it takes until a random carrier from the Middle East comes to the rescue.

I actually used to fly Alitialia's only 747-400 cargo freighter... We used to have the greatest layovers up at Lago Majori, staying in the Grand Dino, right out of some Cary Grant meets the rich widow romance film.

T

Quote Originally Posted by fliger747 View Post
    I actually used to fly Alitialia's only 747-400 cargo freighter... We used to have the greatest layovers up at Lago Majori, staying in the Grand Dino, right out of some Cary Grant meets the rich widow romance film.

T
    I can see it now... 21st Century Pictures announces "der Fliger747" - a tale of daring, romance and aeronautical excitement; starring Clint Eastwood as the grizzled, veteran pilot, an aging Brad Pitt as the dashing copilot and a supporting cast of nubile "romantic interests"; filmed on location in various Alitalia (nice segue back to the thread) bases around the world; Directed by the reincarnation of Sergio Leone...

Yes, sad to see the continued flow of PanAm/Eastern/etc/etc airline disappearances but at least we have the photographic record...
    http://www.airliners.net/search/phot...909d8033074628

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Alitalia used to be a great company, I know a hostess used to work for Alitalia during 60's and she told me about this old glorious airline. The company always had problems with workers, too many people recommended from politicians and being paid for doing nothing. Nothing to say about the service, good pilots and clean planes. I doesn't surprise me it's time for this company to die but still.... skies will miss the planes with the green-white-red stripes

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Sad state of affairs for sure, and its happening everywhere there are politicians without a moral compass. I am sorry to hear of yet another historic airline in this predicament.
    Nicely said.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

I knew a pilot who flew for them for a while, back when the no smoking regimes were being introduced. As well as the sheer amount of gold braid on the uniform, he liked how the captain made the rules about smoking on a flight: he was a heavy smoker all his days.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Quote Originally Posted by Jagdflieger View Post
    According to BBC, the Italian Airline "Alitalia" is a week out of bankruptcy.

Apparently they are one billion Euros in debt.
    Wow! That's pretty deep in the red!

Ken