Nick's Windows/FSX setting up "Bible"

Thread: Nick's Windows/FSX setting up "Bible"

Nick's Windows/FSX setting up "Bible"

Just wanted to repeat here my thanks to Nick Needham for his extensive guide on a clean/optimized setup of Windows and FSX. I went through it last weekend, installed Win7/64 and FSX from scratch and my old rig now runs better than new and FSX is smooth as butter. We'll see how it progresses with careful install of the addons I really need and enjoy.

The still WIP document is here:

http://www.simforums.com/forums/the-...opic46211.html

Highly recommended! I just can't believe all the lost years struggling with a cluttered preinstalled Vista system.

There is some good info there by Nick. However, his info reads that we need the most cutting edge computer components available to run a program that was released seven years ago this month. That is an odd position to take. He also states that much of the reason cutting edge technology is needed is due to the ignorance of third party developers. I guess I should throw my computer away (its outdated) and stay away from the products from third party developers. Not going to happen. Just my two cents.

I would like to see some better documentation (footnotes?) to support what is being passed on as specific technical information. Until then, its just opinion to me.
    Dandog

Just This Guy!

Quote Originally Posted by Dimus View Post
    FSX is smooth as butter. .
    In my case Peanut Butter................ the crunchy kind too
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Quote Originally Posted by Naismith View Post
    In my case Peanut Butter................ the crunchy kind too

I love crunchy too! Just not on my sim.

Nick may be a bit rough around the edges. I may also not agree with all of his opinions, they are after all, his opinions. His deep knowledge of the subject though and his desire to share it with the community has benefited me big bucks at this time. As I said, my system is old, nothing comparing with the specs described by Nick for a modern system. Following the guide though I now have a "new" system that fully covers my needs and all I spent was on a Win7/64 DVD. These are hard times to spend money.

Blog Entries
    I also have been a fan of Nick Needham's sage advice since day one. I have an older socket 775 Q9550 with 8 GB ram and an old GTX285. I don't even know exactly how many simulator rigs I have built using his advice. Everything I learned about optimization from TechCor and Nick has kept my rig speedy enough to run fullterrain software and HD aircraft on high settings at 30+ fps almost everywhere...hey even New York City! Thanks Nick for all your hard work!
    Ted

Yes he is very opinionated...but we got a saying down here where I live. "If you are a master at what you do, you can spit on the sidewalk and ain't nobody gonna say different!"
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam