Abnormal Landings

Thread: Abnormal Landings

Question Abnormal Landings

How would I go about extending only the port (or starboard) MLG on, say, a C-47 or a B-17? How should I modify the scrape points on wing and nacelles to keep FS9 from registering it as a crash, and instead allow the aircraft to slide to a stop?

How would I go about extending only the MLG on, say, a C-54 or a B-29? How should I modify the scrape points on the fuselage to keep FS9 from registering it as a crash, and instead allow the aircraft to slide to a stop?

- H52
    A tad high and a tad hot is better than a tad low and a tad slow - H52

Tips

To prevent any crash turn off crash detection (in realism). Only way. Moving the scrapes, etc, will not prevent crash due to stress, such as belly landings.

In the contact points section of aircraft cfg you will find extension time for individual wheels. Don't want nose wheel to extend? Then enter a time of 360.000 (seconds, or 6 minutes). The main wheels will extend but nose wheel will not be there when you crash.

The only points that will 'work' for belly landings are the FLOATS (or type 4) points. Scrapes won't work. You remove the 'sparks' in effects section. Here are two previous posts in Flt Sim Com forums on the subject. Cheers.
    Chuck B
    Napamule

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showth...belly+landings

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showth...belly+landings

If the links don't work, then go FSCom and enter 'belly landings' in forum search. PM me and you can provide the cfg so I can help you edit it.
    [SIGPIC]i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz, Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, Sapphire Ati Radeon HD-5700 1 Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Acer 23 in LCD, Windows XP SP2, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse[/SIGPIC]

IIRC the A2A Wings of Power Bombers and Jets pack are belly landing enabled. If you have them, check out their cfgs. They have a B-17 and a B-29 included.

Floats are the best I think for this as it enables you to land at sea too without sinking instantly. Landings have to be real slow and REAL smooth, MINIMAL sink rate to avoid a 'crash'.

Jamie

Tip

Quote: 'To prevent any crash turn off crash detection (in realism)'
    Chuck B
    Napamule
    [SIGPIC]i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz, Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, Sapphire Ati Radeon HD-5700 1 Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Acer 23 in LCD, Windows XP SP2, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse[/SIGPIC]

Thanks Chuck and Jamie. I've tested it on a tail-dragger and it works perfectly. I'll modify a trike on the weekend and post some screenies.

- H52

That "thing" called real life got in the way, so this has taken longer than planned.

I modified two a/c, Leobardo Guzman's C-46 --further modified by Terry Jones to include random failures; and Tom Gibson's DC-7CF as repainted by Manfred Meyer.

The C-46 had a Float Point added to the fuselage 15 ft forward of the tail wheel and Float Points added to the bottom of the nacelles. The extension time of the starboard MLG was increased by 600 seconds. Enhanced spray and water effects were added from the Grumman J2F 'Duck'.

Similar mods were made to the DC-7CF with a Float Point placed on the nose 10 ft higher than the extended position of the nose wheel and Float Points added to the inboard nacelles 10 ft forward and 8 ft higher than the position of the extended MLG. The extension time of the nose wheel was increased by 2200 seconds. Enhanced spray and water effects were added from the Grumman J2F 'Duck'.

Crash detection should remain "ON" otherwise the a/c will bounce back into the sky. Ditchings in particular require a very soft touch, as pointed out by Jamie. But it CAN be done.

- H52

Here are the DC-7CF pix:

Some may remember a series of ditchings by Pan American Stratocruisers in the 1950s. These were featured as front-page events by LIFE and COLLIER'S periodicals. Thanks to Greg Pepper's B377 as repainted by Wayne Tudor, you too can try your hand at re-creating the drama of those Pacific flights.

[Yes, I know it was a Coast Guard cutter, but MS only provide a cruise ship ]

- H52

Attachment 94327Attachment 94328Attachment 94329Attachment 94330Attachment 94331

By adding some more float points I was able to keep the wings from digging into the Pacific during the ditching.
    - H52

Attachment 94376Attachment 94377Attachment 94378

Echo?

H52, Did you go look at my video of 737 and 747 doing land and water 'belly landing'? I only used 3 floats. 1 on under nose, and 1 each under engines. I used a light to temp locate floats position. You don't need more than 3 cnt pts. Anymore than that does nothing. Here is link: http://youtu.be/kKrXKnCcEdg . You can add effects, or let the sparks fly from floats on touchdown. You can also leave crash detection on. Your choice. But, it DOES NOT make the AC BOUNCE on contact. That is a mistaken assumption-sorry. Chuck B Napamule

Chuck, you must have velcro on your ocean. With crash detection OFF, your a/c will MOST DEFINITELY jump back into the sky.

- H52

Members +
    Easy! ..just ask Chesley Burnett "Sully" Sullenberger...He has some experience in this...Vin

What?

I had crash detection OFF in those videos and the ac did NOT bounce on land or water. Why? Cause I didn't 'crash' (read on).

Having crash detection ON or OFF makes NO difference. It is only when you exceed the 'Impact Damage Threshold' you will CRASH and the AC will be POSITIONED (transported) to 500 ft (elevation). That is 'starndard' behaviour. That is not a 'bouce', that is the result, and indication, of a CRASH due to exceeding 'Impact Damage Threshold' and not due to stress or running into some other object. You can 'fix' this by placement of cnt pts (in relation to other types) and by edit of values for compression (with some limitations due to MODEL). You can't 'fix' a crash when crash detection in REALISM menu is set to 'ON'. Two different things.
    Chuck B
    Napamule

Good explanation, Chuck. Thank you.

- H52