FSX won't load

Thread: FSX won't load

Banned
    Blog Entries

FSX won't load

My FSX won't load past the splash screen. I have reinstalled it many times with no luck. In my quest for a fix I noted that a corrupt logbook.bin might be the issue, I searched for it
    and did not locate it. It supposedly loads a new one with each install. I also installed the latest video drivers. It all started with that SweetFx update and from there, things went south
    PDQ. Took my Accel off and the Basic FSX. So far, I am at the point where I activated BASIC FSX only and it and it won't go past the splash screen ( it will load sceneries and the other stuff).

:isadizzy:

I had the same problem, so I uninstalled Sweet fx, Radeon Pro and Razer game booster,
    Then I ran FSX from the fsx.exe in the main fsx folder, it worked fine so I then re-installed Readon Pro and Razer and all is well.
    I will have another go with Sweet Fx later and let you know how it goes. I am also running Shade for FSX.

My system is an AMD quad core 945 running oc at 3.4 ghz, Noctua cooler and 8gig of ram.
    Graphic's cards are two ATI Radeon HD 5770's direct Cu. Antec 1200 case, 1000w psu.

You will find your logbook.bin in C:\Users\{YOUR NAME}\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files
    It doesn't usually get deleted by an uninstall.
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Asus VG32G Monitor 2560x1440
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56
    Saitek Pro Pedals
    Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous Beans View Post
    You will find your logbook.bin in C:\Users\{YOUR NAME}\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files
    It doesn't usually get deleted by an uninstall.
    I did a search for that file and it doesn't come up. A no show. Hummmmmm

Forget using the search bar it doesn't find it on mine either, just look in the folder I mentioned.

Windows maybe hiding the .bin extension too. It does that by default for known file types in which case it will just be called Logbook.
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56
    Saitek Pro Pedals
    Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Forget using the search bar it doesn't find it on mine either, just look in the folder I mentioned.

Windows maybe hiding the .bin extension too. It does that by default for known file types in which case it will just be called Logbook.
    I did look in the proper folder and it is not there to be found.

I have the show hidden folders files and drives enabled.

I have reinstalled this thing (FSX) sooo many times and it will load the splash screen and close up shop.

I don't know what the order or succession of files process to where FSX is fully loaded an ready to go but it seems like something is preventing it from
    loading all the way.

Ah OK, that rules out the logbook error then. The symptoms you originally described did sound like like it could have been the culprit but in this instance I guess not.
    I'm all out of ideas. Sorry.
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56
    Saitek Pro Pedals
    Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Ah OK, that rules out the logbook error then. The symptoms you originally described did sound like like it could have been the culprit but in this instance I guess not.
    I'm all out of ideas. Sorry.
    Just so you know I did find the logbook.bin (was in trash bin) and restored it, it Still have same issues

Thanks for your time anyway.

Try using this logbook recovery tool, fsxlogrecovery11.zip http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=98186. One time my FSX would not start, I used it to repair my logbook, then all was well.
    Dandog

Just This Guy!

These could be way off base but....I have had a similar problem in the past and these fixed it for me.

Tip 1
    Try this trick
    - it has to be done quickly to work
    - press Ctrl-Alt-Delete to bring up the task manager first (make sure you can see all the Processes around the letter "F")
    - double-click your FSX shortcut
    - FSX.exe will show up as a process
    - right-click it and choose "Set priority" the "Above normal" then when the next screen pops up just slam the "enter" key

Don't:
    - load trackIR or anything else until FSX has loaded

Tip 2
    - double-check all your junction points are actually still there on the SSD if you have FSX on a SSD and a regular hard drive.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dandog View Post
    Try using this logbook recovery tool, fsxlogrecovery11.zip http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=98186. One time my FSX would not start, I used it to repair my logbook, then all was well.
    I tried that, no luck - thanks anyway.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by P38man View Post
    These could be way off base but....I have had a similar problem in the past and these fixed it for me.

Tip 1
    Try this trick
    - it has to be done quickly to work
    - press Ctrl-Alt-Delete to bring up the task manager first (make sure you can see all the Processes around the letter "F")
    - double-click your FSX shortcut
    - FSX.exe will show up as a process
    - right-click it and choose "Set priority" the "Above normal" then when the next screen pops up just slam the "enter" key

Don't:
    - load trackIR or anything else until FSX has loaded

Tip 2
    - double-check all your junction points are actually still there on the SSD if you have FSX on a SSD and a regular hard drive.
    Tip one loaded in taskmanager and I did the quick priority adjustment and hit enter then FSX just disappeared.
    Tip2
    Not sure what u mean. I have fsx on a hard drive.

OK it isn't stable at all then.

I would then recommend you try to uninstall FSX and all your addons too and reinstall using these instructions.
    http://support.precisionmanuals.com/...stall-fsx.aspx

Try installing to a different directory, but make sure it is on the root of C eg C:\FSX as per the guide above but if you have used it before try C:\newFSX or something.

My guess is something is "hanging on".

Which version of Windows are you running?

Sounds like an aside, but I have exactly the problem you describe, and it's caused by the Windows 8.1 preview 'messing' with the display.
    It's supposedly fixed in the final version of Windows 8.1 - due out this month.

Dave

Have you tried renaming your fsx.cfg file and letting it build a new one?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dhazelgrove View Post
    Which version of Windows are you running?

Sounds like an aside, but I have exactly the problem you describe, and it's caused by the Windows 8.1 preview 'messing' with the display.
    It's supposedly fixed in the final version of Windows 8.1 - due out this month.

Dave
    Using Win 7 64 Bit.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by P38man View Post
    OK it isn't stable at all then.

I would then recommend you try to uninstall FSX and all your addons too and reinstall using these instructions.
    http://support.precisionmanuals.com/...stall-fsx.aspx

Try installing to a different directory, but make sure it is on the root of C eg C:\FSX as per the guide above but if you have used it before try C:\newFSX or something.

My guess is something is "hanging on".
    It Works!!!! After reading your link, and as painful as it was, I had to delete the entire contents of the FSX folder as per instrutions. There must of been some bad ju-ju in there or something
    was really tangled/trashed up to cause only the splash screen to show. Now, I have to reinstall EVERYTHING that was there (addons). At least I know have the basics back.

When I first elected to remove all of fsx, I was under the impression that all the files would disappear, to my surprise they are still there. I had to delete *.* all the contents of the
    FSX folder that also had all my addons, everything! Well, Now I have a hobby....put it all back

Thanks again.

Yeah, I found out the hard way that there are a lot of residual files lying around.

I have taken to appending the date to my flight sim directory, i.e., FSX 2013-10-02. That way I know for sure that addons are going to the right place, we are working with fresh content, etc.

And yes, I try to limit re-installations to one a day...
    i7 3770K @ 4.6GHz (OC), 8GB DDR3 1600 memory, Windows 7. All home built.

Fast motorcycles, vintage cars, good bourbons, and alas, vintage cigars I had to give up...

Quote Originally Posted by FSX68 View Post
    It Works!!!! After reading your link, and as painful as it was, I had to delete the entire contents of the FSX folder as per instrutions. There must of been some bad ju-ju in there or something
    was really tangled/trashed up to cause only the splash screen to show. Now, I have to reinstall EVERYTHING that was there (addons). At least I know have the basics back.

When I first elected to remove all of fsx, I was under the impression that all the files would disappear, to my surprise they are still there. I had to delete *.* all the contents of the
    FSX folder that also had all my addons, everything! Well, Now I have a hobby....put it all back

Thanks again.
    You are most welcome.

All of us can breathe a sigh of relief.....the thought of being without FSX makes one experience shudders and a chill down the spine! (err at least for me...)

You may wish to look at my guide?
    http://sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/sh...X-11-July-2012

Happy flying.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Howellerman View Post
    Yeah, I found out the hard way that there are a lot of residual files lying around.

I have taken to appending the date to my flight sim directory, i.e., FSX 2013-10-02. That way I know for sure that addons are going to the right place, we are working with fresh content, etc.

And yes, I try to limit re-installations to one a day...
    If I understand you correctly, you add a date to your FSX directory? I am a little slow here bear with me, but how does that sort out your addons?

If you install FSX every day, you will need to know which of your many copies you are updating.
    The only possible explanation.

I am guessing that at some stage you had installed some kind of shader modification software, perhaps SweetFX or ENB
    series.
    Too late now but they add .dll files to the FSX folder which can and will cause your initial problem or FSX will start but the
    spinning aircraft and game screens are black.
    This normally occurs when a user either is certain they have removed all the files but is unfortunately wrong or has inadvertently deleted or moved one or more of the complete set.

As you found, if you uninstall FSX, this process only removes files which were originally installed and leaves everything
    that has been added or modified since then.
    This could explain why your re-installations didn't cure the problem as the d3dx**.dll files which cause the problem remain in the folder.
    Deleting the entire folder is a bit of a drachonian way to remove a couple of rogue files but at least it worked.

In the event of a future terminal problem, FSX can easily be persuaded to install a second and therefore clean copy.
    To do this, simply rename your FSX folder, to FSX.old for example and then create a new folder named FSX.
    Run the install software and select Repair.
    When it has finished, you will have a brand new clean installation in your new FSX folder.
    You can then either compare the two and spot the files that are giving you trouble, or transfer your addons to the new installation.
    Because the FSX location has not changed ( as far as your PC can see) most, if not all can be quickly re- installed by simply copying the files from FSX.old to FSX.
    It is perhaps a shame I didn't see your post earlier.

Regards,
    Nick.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=ncooper;839576]If you install FSX every day, you will need to know which of your many copies you are updating.
    The only possible explanation.

I am guessing that at some stage you had installed some kind of shader modification software, perhaps SweetFX or ENB
    series.
    Too late now but they add .dll files to the FSX folder which can and will cause your initial problem or FSX will start but the
    spinning aircraft and game screens are black.
    This normally occurs when a user either is certain they have removed all the files but is unfortunately wrong or has inadvertently deleted or moved one or more of the complete set.

As you found, if you uninstall FSX, this process only removes files which were originally installed and leaves everything
    that has been added or modified since then.
    This could explain why your re-installations didn't cure the problem as the d3dx**.dll files which cause the problem remain in the folder.
    Deleting the entire folder is a bit of a drachonian way to remove a couple of rogue files but at least it worked.

From what I have read in the sweetfx readme I see this"

/ Usage /
    '-----------------------------------------------------------*/

It will automatically run when you start the DirectX 9, 10 or 11 game that you added SweetFX to.
    If you want to run different game with SweetFX then you need to install to that games directory too.

It does not modify any game files either on disk or in memory. <<<<<<<< So does it leave files that remain if you delete the program?
    Instead it uses a custom Direct3D runtime dll which the most DirectX games will call.

PRINTSCRN saves a screenshot named ScreenshotXXXX.bmp in the directory you installed SweetFX to.
    SCROLL_LOCK switches it ON and OFF. It starts in ON mode.
    PAUSE reloads the shader files (this is useful when you need to tweak the settings while the game is running)

Keys can be reconfigured in the injector.ini file.

Some keyboards (mostly on laptops) don't have a dedicated SCROLL_LOCK button,
    but require you to hold down the Fn button while you press another key to activate Scroll Lock.

If you can't figure out the right combination just from looking at your keyboard and experimenting,
    then read the documentation for your keyboard or just reconfigure the keys in injector.ini

Yes, as it says, it uses two "custom Direct3D runtime dlls" which are placed into the FSX root folder along with the rest of the files.
    These are d3d9.dll and dxgi.dll. They have matching .fx files, d3d9.fx and dxgi.fx.
    In most cases, without the injector.ini file or the SweetFX folder or the SweetFX_settings.txt file the two .dll files will cause the problems.

It is true that no files are amended in FSX or anywhere else, however there are files named d3d9.dll and dxgi.dll in the Windows folder which FSX
    uses.
    Placing the SweetFX .dll files in the FSX folder stops FSX from looking for the Windows ones and makes it use their modified ones instead.
    If all the SweetFX files are present in the FSX folder, it works very well for those that like what it does but if any of the vital components are moved or deleted, well you saw what happened.

Regards,
    Nick