How to make FS9 trees to show up right in FSX

Thread: How to make FS9 trees to show up right in FSX

How to make FS9 trees to show up right in FSX

There are some FS2004 freeware sceneries which show up guite nicely in FSX too - except the trees. Tree texture's background looks black. That looks anything but natural.

I think there is 3 ways to get rid of this.

1. If the trees are in a separate bgl-file, just remove it (disadvantage of this is lost trees)

2. To change the background color of the trees transparent. I don't know how to do this. I tried an advice found on Internet to use DXTBmp to invert the tree textures alpha channel (used to change airplanes glass transparent), but it didn't work for the trees.

3. Some trees are included inside one bgl-file with other models of the airfield. How could one remove or change the tree's bg color in those without removing the other parts (like all airport buildings) of that file. Is it possible at all? I tried Model Converter v.1.3 but didn't find there any way to remove the trees from the bgl-file. Is there in the MC any way to change the transparency?

Some FS2004 airport sceneries have such a problem in FSX that the runways look totally white or black. I have tried to remove this "effect" with ADE9x unsuccesfully.

Anyone know "medicine" for these?

Pekka

The problem is FSX models now use DirectX10 materials (which FS9 didn't use).

In model converter X you would select the tree from the model library, then select the Material Editor, then navigate down to the framebuffer blend section. Clicking on the Set Default Transparent button will change these settings to InvSrcAlpha and SrcAlpha which is the most common way of making transparent materials (there are other ways but you don't need to know what they are) and should work with FS9 models.

You would then need to export that model as a .x file and then run that .x file through the xtomdl program (which is part of the FSX SDK)

This will give you a new .mdl file

You could then try making that/those mdls into a new library bgl file (try the Library Creator program from Arno and fsdeveloper).

With any luck if you put that new library bgl into the scenery folder of the original library bgl then FSX may read those models first (I would try changing the name of the library bgl so that it was alphabetically before the original library bgl).

Without any luck you could export all the models in the original library bgl as .x files and convert each to a new model file and create a completely new library bgl removing the original library bgl completely.

Dead easy!

the easy way is to use bgl2xml then simply replace the fs9 guid nos with fsx ones.

takes no time at all - if you are happy with where all the fs9 trees are located.

If the tree objects are created and placed via SCASM compiled source code, a different workflow would apply. :iidea:

GaryGB

Quote Originally Posted by anthony31 View Post
    The problem is FSX models now use DirectX10 materials (which FS9 didn't use).

In model converter X you would select the tree from the model library, then select the Material Editor, then navigate down to the framebuffer blend section. Clicking on the Set Default Transparent button will change these settings to InvSrcAlpha and SrcAlpha which is the most common way of making transparent materials (there are other ways but you don't need to know what they are) and should work with FS9 models.
    The settings are already InvSrcAlpha and SrcAlpha before clicking the button!

Quote Originally Posted by P38man View Post
    the easy way is to use bgl2xml then simply replace the fs9 guid nos with fsx ones.

takes no time at all - if you are happy with where all the fs9 trees are located.
    I have 3 of these sceneries and in each one Bgl-file where there are trees. Running Bgl2Xml (both versions) results only "Unknown File Type"!

Quote Originally Posted by GaryGB View Post
    If the tree objects are created and placed via SCASM compiled source code, a different workflow would apply. :iidea:

GaryGB
    I don't know how they are made. Modelconverter won't open all of them and Bgl2Xml works with none.

Quote Originally Posted by PHo17 View Post
    I don't know how they are made. Modelconverter won't open all of them and Bgl2Xml works with none.
    Hi again:

The suggestions by the initial respondents in this thread would have worked well if you had newer XML format scenery object placement files compiled by FSX SDK BGLComp, but you have indicated that they were not able to be de-compiled via BGL2XML; this suggests that they may be older SCASM derived BGLs.

Assuming modification of these scenery packages is for your personal use (and only on your own FS computer), you can try de-compiling with Winfried Orthmann's BGL Analyze version 3.1 (bglana31.zip):

http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php...2sd&DLID=27375

The SCASM source code output files (with *.SCA file extensions) may then be examined with a text editor; depending on their code structure, it may be possible to import them into ModelConverterX to be converted and placed as 'scenery' BGLs in FSX format using the "wizard" provided in that utility.

And if you can import the SCASM source code file into ModelConverterX, you could also follow Anthony31's workflow ...as suggested above.

Pending your satisfaction with the results of the above conversion procedure, I can direct you to some additional info on how to use ModelConverterX to output a XML scenery object library placement file, which can be edited to swap FSX tree GUIDs for the legacy trees, then compiled into a placement BGL via FSX SDK BGLComp ...as suggested by P38man above.

Alternatively, I can further direct you to some additional info on how to completely eliminate the trees from the SCA source code file, prior to re-compilation into a scenery placement BGL via SCASM.

Hope this helps ! :mixedsmi:

GaryGB

Assuming modification of these scenery packages is for your personal use (and only on your own FS computer), you can try de-compiling with Winfried Orthmann's BGL Analyze version 3.1 (bglana31.zip):
    I am no scenery maker and practically don't understand of making sceneries anything (except afcads). All is for my personal use. I'll just try to fill some "gaps" with FS2004 (freeware) sceneries, where I haven't managed to find any FSX scenery for an airport. Some FS9 sceneries are so mixed up in FSX that there is no hope using those (I don't have any hope ) - some are usable except some minor disadvanteges like trees.

Thank you Gary and others for your help.

I'll try to do as you advised. However not being a scenery builder I don't quite understand how to edit tree GUIDs (what they are in FS9 and FSX and what is the difference?). Maybe this is too hard task for such a non pro like me? I only know of making and editing afcads with ADE9X.

Pekka

Hi Pekka:

If you think you might wish to delve into the process of converting the 3 legacy format scenery BGLs, here is a general conceptual overview:

Once you have downloaded and unzipped Winfried Orthmann's BGL Analyze version 3.1 (bglana31.zip), you can try de-compiling the legacy scenery BGLs into *.SCA files written directly to the same folder.

When you download and set up ModelConverterX, tell it where to find the necessary FS SDK files, and where to find the textures for the 3 legacy format *.SCA files you are importing.

Next use ModelConverterX to convert the SCASM code into a FSX format scenery BGL (which is XML-based and is internally compiled by ModelConverterX via FSX SDK BGLComp).

After doing this, you can use ADE or other FSX compatible scenery editors to work with the objects derived from the legacy format BGLs.

You could then move, or exclude and totally replace any of the converted legacy scenery objects more easily, and have some fun with scenery building / enhancement without much additional technical involvement.

Hope this helps!

GaryGB

Next use ModelConverterX to convert the SCASM code into a FSX format scenery BGL (which is XML-based and is internally compiled by ModelConverterX via FSX SDK BGLComp).
    Thanks but the ModelConverter only returned error message: Message: Input string was not in a correct format.

Thanks but the ModelConverter only returned error message: Message: Input string was not in a correct format.
    Hi again:

There have been a few reports of that error message with ModelConverterX (aka "MCX") in the past, and it is possible that there may be some unique characteristic to the SCASM code from those BGLs which 'older' versions of MCX are not yet programmed to deal with.

Please post download links to the legacy add-on Scenery packages you are referring to above which contain the SCASM BGLs you are working with; once others know what files you are working with, perhaps they could de-compile the same BGLs into *.SCA files and test them with the 'latest' development build of MCX. :iidea:

If you would prefer, you could communicate that information via a private message here at SOH.

Without that information, it might be rather difficult to further assess what is transpiring with your workflow, and thus it may limit one's options for troubleshooting what went wrong.

Hope this helps ! :mixedsmi:

GaryGB

Please post download links to the legacy add-on Scenery packages you are referring to above which contain the SCASM BGLs you are working with; once others know what files you are working with, perhaps they could de-compile the same BGLs into *.SCA files and test them with the 'latest' development build of MCX. :iidea:

If you would prefer, you could communicate that information via a private message here at SOH.
    I managed to convert the bgls to *.SCA files, but no further.

Look at your P.M.

Pekka

I managed to convert the bgls to *.SCA files, but no further.

Look at your P.M.

Pekka
    Hi Pekka:

I am reviewing the files you mentioned in your PM, and will have some further info for you, when I have had some more time to look through them.

BTW: I discovered that some Russian scenery objects used in the author's 4 scenery packages require textures from yet another 3rd party freeware add-on in order to be converted / displayed:

http://simviation.com/1/search?submi...Id=&filename=Y

Pulkovo, Russia, Scenery and Traffic (Category: FS2004 > Scenery)
    Zip file preview
    83.36Mb (1734 downloads)
    Pulkovo, St. Petersburg, Russia (ULLI) scenery and traffic. this will replace the default scenery and as a special bonus, pulkovo AI traffic. The following are the ai planes, Il86, tu134, tu154, il114, and boeing 737. All of them come with a panel and sound, but the boeing is not flyable, only the ilyushins and tupolevs are flyable, AFCAD included.

Posted Apr 17, 2010 16:39 by Alex Huff

PS: You are likely to have greater success importing the *.SCA files into ModelConverterX by using the latest development release of that utility (new URL):

http://www.scenerydesign.org/latest-...nt_release.zip

NOTE: Do not attempt to decompile "LIB2.bgl" via BGLAnalyze version 3.1, as it is likely to build a *.SCA file so big that it may fill up your hard drive and crash system memory.

"LIB2.bgl" and the "LIB2.sca" file which can be generated via SCDis23 (an alternative to BGLAnalyze version 3.1) shows that this is a legacy dynamic object 'library'; no version of ModelConverterX that I'm aware of can process such a file to completion, so it is best to simply ignore the source "LIB2.bgl" file entirely.

Let us know how things go using the latest version of MCX.

GaryGB

NOTE: Do not attempt to decompile "LIB2.bgl" via BGLAnalyze version 3.1, as it is likely to build a *.SCA file so big that it may fill up your hard drive and crash system memory.
    Ooh! Who could imagine that? However I got from 400 to 700 times bigger SCA-files from the 1 kB bgl-files too.

Thank you for help Gary!

Hi Pekka:

Sorry for the delay in following up on this.

I have further reviewed the files in the 4 scenery packages you mentioned in your PM, and have summarized in another PM to you, any BGLs which could not be processed via the 09-24-2013 development version of ModelConverterX without crashing that utility.

CAVEAT: Before processing with the latest development version of ModelConverterX, add the following Texture sub-folders to ModelConverterX via:

ModelConverterX Menu > Options > Texture Settings > TextureSearchPath > [...] > [Add...]

* Texture sub-folders for the 4 scenery packages you mentioned in your PM

* Texture sub-folders for the 2 Russian scenery packages listed below

* [FS2004 install path]\Texture folder

NOTE: Some Russian scenery objects used in the author's 4 scenery packages require textures from 2 separate, 3rd party freeware add-on scenery pacages in order to be converted / displayed:

Pulkovo, Russia, Scenery and Traffic (Category: FS2004 > Scenery)
    Zip file preview
    83.36Mb (1734 downloads)
    Pulkovo, St. Petersburg, Russia (ULLI) scenery and traffic.

Posted Apr 17, 2010 16:39 by Alex Huff

Russia Republic of Sakha (Category: FS2004 > Scenery)

Zip file preview
    15.11Mb (536 downloads)
    Russia Republic of Sakha (Yakutia).

Posted Dec 24, 2012 04:00 by Andrey Anta

Hope this helps !

PS: I have a great appreciation for the fine scenery and aircraft produced by Finnish FS developers in several version of MSFS, and hope to see more released in the future.

Best wishes for lots of fun with your scenery enhancement activities !

GaryGB

Thank you very much Gary! Look at your P.M.

My best

Pekka

Members who have read this thread: 4