ILS/RNAV Approaches?

Thread: ILS/RNAV Approaches?

ILS/RNAV Approaches?

Does anybody know if there is a way for me to practice ILS/RNAV approaches on FSX? I understand FSX isn't a real training tool, but at least I can try.

Members +
    Hi Walter ,not wanting to get into Whats available to you...Flight Simulation is part of pursing a Pilots license..You can use the net to ask the questions and get other Info. Many times have used Microsoft Simulator to familiarize a trip planed...Many Flight Schools do in fact offer Training utilizing Sims.The time counts if An FAA approved Sim.But for home entertainment,,and learning,There are Hundreds of Manuals,Books to acquaint you to fling IFR...You may try SPORTY S PILOT SHOP for Charts,Plates,Books.,aids..This to include CDS..Hope you have luck with this...Vin<label for="rb_iconid_24"></label>

You can fly approaches VFR too. I recommend you google FSX Navigation.

In the USA, you can find the approach plates at aeronav.faa.gov - find the ILS frequency and apch information, enter that in FSX and fly it. Default ATC can also vector you if you set up an IFR flight plan. Pick an airport with bad weather and ATC will automatically give you vectors.
    FAA ZMP
    PPL ASEL

| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | EVGA GTX1080 Ti | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X |

One of the best sites for learning FS Navigation:

http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/index.htm

Attachment 93820

Hi,

I started with FS9 about 8 years ago and came across

http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/index.htm

on the DC3 Airways site early on. I still can't fly for nuts, but that series of articles is totally fantastic and well worth studying.

Another stunning site is calclassic [<cite>www.calclassic.com]</cite> where they have FSAviator's Propliner Tutorial which covers everything, and I mean everything. To my simple mind, it is a work of genius. I don't mean that facetiously in any way, it really is the most comprehensive and insightful piece of writing and well worth printing out and keeping.

Andy.

There are navigation lessons (including ILS approaches) built right into FSX so why not use that as your starting point seeing as you already have the information.

You can find the Lessons section in the Learning Center, available from the front page in FSX (next to the bottom item in the left hand column).
    Larry

The PMDG 747, and I presume the 737 recently released are capable of realistic LNav-VNav approaches. I would also presume some of the Garmin 1000 equipped aircraft should be so capable.

the actual buttonology would be very system dependent.

T

Thanks, guys. This is for when I don't want to spend $77/hr for the big 172 sim and $58/hr for instructor fees, or for when I don't have time to hit the Redbirds. (Basically FSX with revamped 172 flight dynamics and a permanent G1000 display.Attachment 93841

Go grab (free) copies of the Instrument Flying Handbook and the Instrument Procedures Handbook from this site: http://www.faa.gov/regulations_polic...uals/aviation/

They're pretty much the definitive references for IFR procedures, the price is right, and you'll find a ton of related reference material, too.

Mike