K14A Mark 23 gunsight reticle pattern

Thread: K14A Mark 23 gunsight reticle pattern

K14A Mark 23 gunsight reticle pattern

Hello all

i was hoping the clever people of sim-outhouse could help me with a small problem.

The K14A gunsight is a gunsight used by the Air Force. The Mark 23 is the Navy version and is based on the K14A with a few minor alterations. The most notable being the pattern of the fixed reticle. The manual for the K14A very kindly provides a diagram of the fixed reticle for the Air Force version (see attached pic, Figure 5 on the right) but it only provides a text description of the Navy version. That description is as follows:

FIXED RETICLE (MK23) The reticle of the fixed sight presents an image pattern consisting of a cross, a 45 degree radial line extending from the cross into each of the two lower quadrants and arcs of circles from 10 mil to 70 mil radii in increments of 10 mils below the cross and with the cross as a center.

The reticle on the left of the attached picture is my representation based on this description.

If anyone can confirm that my representation is correct or incorrect based on their recollections of the real world Navy Mark 23 gunsight that would be most helpful and much appreciated.

Attachment 93303

PS. I know that the reticle is aimed a wee bit high so no need to point that out

PPS. If you are wondering about the funny green, purple and red thing that is something I used to calibrate the gyro reticle.

Found this pic on the web, only thing I could find and that was even going through my AO3&2 rate manuals. It looks like what you were looking for, hard to tell, it's been years since I worked on any kind of aircraft gun sight.
    http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...ng_in_1981.jpg

Hope it helps you out.
    AO1 USN Retired
    USS SARATOGA CV-60/ VP-65/HAL-5/VP-0919/VFA-305/NAWS-0176/HCS-5

IYAOYAS
    Naval Aviation Ordnance
    We Are The Arms Of The Fleet

While this doesn't cover the Mk23 there are numerous views of the reticle. It looks like a further addition is planned, but you may be able to get something by contacting the author directly

http://www.aircraft-gunsights.com/reflector-sights/

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Thanks for the info guys.

I had found that gunsight website earlier.

I thought I might modify my version to match the "ladder" version which seems to be a lot more common (no doubt as my interpretation blocks a fair bit of the view).

I will probably end up releasing it as in the attached pic (or I might change it to the Mark 8 version on the aircraft gunsights website). If anyone complains that it is wrong then I can always patch it .

Attachment 93384
    PS. Note in this pic the sun filter is up.

If anyone complains tell them that the original went Tango Uniform and your ordnance crew "happened to find a better sight laying on the street". Adapt, improvise and overcome:salute:

BTW, glad I could help somewhat.
    AO1 USN Retired
    USS SARATOGA CV-60/ VP-65/HAL-5/VP-0919/VFA-305/NAWS-0176/HCS-5

IYAOYAS
    Naval Aviation Ordnance
    We Are The Arms Of The Fleet

Members who have read this thread: 1