Air to Air Refuelling Scenario

Thread: Air to Air Refuelling Scenario

Air to Air Refuelling Scenario

Hello,

We are at my local flying museum looking at creating a flight simulator that uses the aircraft in the collection, one of which is a VC10. We were wondering if a flight refuelling mission could be created where the pilot has to dock with a drogue behind the tanker. Is this possible and if not with a VC10, can anyone recommend types to try it with?

Best wishes,

Martin

Yes, or at least I think so. There's an ai VC10 refuelling a Tornado in TrafficX, and I have managed to fly to it and refuel by copying the tanker into my aircraft folder, using Formation Setup to set it going and then finding it and formating on it with a UKMIL Sea Harrier fitted with the ARS4 gauge. It's certainly worth exploring. There's a KC135 available somewhere, too.
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

Yes definitely. I just tried again and it worked second time. It would have been first time if I hadn't forgotten to tell it we were supposed to be refuelling.

My forum signature applies yet again :-)

A-to-A refueling is very possible within FSX in both single and multiplayer.

I use an AI tanker (usually a KC-135 but need to try the VC-10) and the IFR gauge from Andy Niko and Jivko Rusev. It works for both boom and probe/drogue.

The selection key is having the AI tanker to allow the boom or drogues to show in MP.

-Jeff
    I pass gas!

Attachment 92786
    Quote Originally Posted by ST0RM View Post
    A-to-A refueling is very possible within FSX in both single and multiplayer.

I use an AI tanker (usually a KC-135 but need to try the VC-10) and the IFR gauge from Andy Niko and Jivko Rusev. It works for both boom and probe/drogue.

The selection key is having the AI tanker to allow the boom or drogues to show in MP.

-Jeff
    we also performed aar in N/E the other day, pics on the MFC web site.

-Migbait !:mixedsmi:
    MFC-27/migbait

I believe that RAZBAM has an AI VC-10 with their Harrier GR7/9 package.

Dave

Thank you for all your suggestions as to our idea. It does look as if it is possible, but perhaps a little too difficult for the novice user. Perhaps something that can be worked on and tested when everyone has gone home

It is the intention that the visitor walks around the exhibits, has a flight in one of our aeroplanes and then sits down infront of a screen and then finds out what it takes to fly. Short scenarios are the idea....finals in a jet, aeros in a classic, circuit in something else. As we have a VC10, thought that air to air refuelling would be another possibility.

Of course, like the other aeroplanes we are using, we would have to seek permission for use first.

Cheers,

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by T6flyer View Post
    Thank you for all your suggestions as to our idea. It does look as if it is possible, but perhaps a little too difficult for the novice user. Perhaps something that can be worked on and tested when everyone has gone home. . . . . . . . .Cheers,
    Martin
    Yes, flying some of your aircraft would be a relatively simple scenario for folks just wanting to give it a try. In flight refueling is a whole different animal. . .it can be quite a frustrating experience and not something that someone who just stepped into your museum would find enjoyable. Interesting. . . .maybe. . .enjoyable. . .not really. I do like the idea of being able to try their hand at flying your various aircraft though.:salute:
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    Yes, flying some of your aircraft would be a relatively simple scenario for folks just wanting to give it a try. In flight refueling is a whole different animal. . .it can be quite a frustrating experience and not something that someone who just stepped into your museum would find enjoyable. Interesting. . . .maybe. . .enjoyable. . .not really. I do like the idea of being able to try their hand at flying your various aircraft though.:salute:
    See what you mean.....perhaps its something we should leave alone. But thanks for everyone's suggestions, so much appreciated.

We are trying to get an actual VC10 procedure trainer for the art of aerial tanking, so perhaps we should just stick to long approaches in jets, biplane circuits and aerobatics in primary trainers!

Best wishes,

Martin

You should have a rep from your airforce there with you. If someone can hop onto FSX and do an aerial refueling without extensive simulator training they will definitely want to talk to them.

Dave

It would probably be easiest to set it up as a mission which would allow you to relax the parameters for a successful contact somewhat, i.e. as long as the receiver is within 10 meters of the drogue the fuel level goes up. That should also let you add arrows etc. pointing to the tanker so the user can find it!

The link in this thread might be useful: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...Air-Refuelling
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?