Old Rhinebeck - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Old Rhinebeck

ORA FSX in Testing

Ed and I have been finalizing the scenery working out the kinks and now its out to the GAS team to test before release, some time toward the end of the week. Having spent many hours at ORA I can say it really looks like it in the air and on the ground and Eds done a fantastic job. We could use someone who knows how to develop AI aircraft and the flight planning. I have a low rez New Standard ready to go but neither ED nor I have the experience to get that going. Anyway here are some shots taken today

The flight line

The flight line and hangars

New Standard airplane rides booth

The village

Aerials in the pattern

Woohoo, nice work guys!!
    Best, Michael

Quote Originally Posted by MCDesigns View Post
    Woohoo, nice work guys!!
    Thanks Michael, I appreciate your help in this. Paul and the folks at GAS have done a really great job with the static antique aircraft as well. That's what really sets the scenery off. Otherwise it's just a lot of buildings, lol. Hope folks enjoy flying in and wandering around virtual Old Rhinebeck.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Woohoo, nice work guys!!
    Hi Michael - thanks for helping out as well. Would you know a thing or two about getting and AI aircraft flying at the Aerodrome?

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    Thanks Michael, I appreciate your help in this. Paul and the folks at GAS have done a really great job with the static antique aircraft as well. That's what really sets the scenery off. Otherwise it's just a lot of buildings, lol. Hope folks enjoy flying in and wandering around virtual Old Rhinebeck.
    Wow Ed , thanks to you and all who collaborated on this project . This looks outstanding . Excellent place to test my newly acquired GAS Great Lakes Biplanes .

Thanks again ,

Rich
    USAF Retired , 906 Tactical Fighter Group , Wright Patterson AFB , Ohio
    I7-9700K , MSI/MPG-Z390M , 32GB DDR4 3200 , RTX 2080 8GB

Quote Originally Posted by Spad54 View Post
    Hi Michael - thanks for helping out as well. Would you know a thing or two about getting and AI aircraft flying at the Aerodrome?
    I know the concept, but I suck at making flight plans. This program is what you need, but I have never gotten the hang of it
    http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/conten...on-15-Released
    basically once you have the AI plane ready, you create flightplans that are touch and gos every hour or so.
    There was a thread here awhile back with a sample flightplan for the cessna that could be edited for any aircraft, but I can't find it now.
    Best, Michael

Chapel Hill, NC and the Texas Hill Country
    Wow !!! Great job !! Just like I remember it......
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....

It's about learning

to dance in the rain.

I know the concept, but I suck at making flight plans. This program is what you need, but I have never gotten the hang of it
    http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/conten...on-15-Released
    basically once you have the AI plane ready, you create flightplans that are touch and gos every hour or so.
    There was a thread here awhile back with a sample flightplan for the cessna that could be edited for any aircraft, but I can't find it now.
    My problem is making the AI plane a .bgl object. No idea how that's done

My problem is making the AI plane a .bgl object. No idea how that's done
    You don't, the AI plane is simply a lighter version of the flyable with no panel and even LOD models for better performance. The .BGL only tells that AI plane what to do.
    One thing that might be a problem is the terrain. In order to have AI flights, you need an AFCADE/ADE file with runway (invisible) and taxiways, hold short and parking spaces. Without these you can't have AI flights other than using pure animation on a scenery o0bject which is very limiting (you could just animate a couple of planes flying around the aerodrome for ambiance sake). If the terrain is uneven, not sure if it will work.
    Best, Michael

Yep, currently the AFCAD is very sparse, no taxiways or parking spots and no visible runway (AFX won't allow the setting of a rwy to less than 1meter in width, so what you get is this really thin rwy that basically appears as a solid line down the field). The airport shows on the GPS, but unlike other airports, there is no rwy showing. All of that can be added, although I don't know how to get around the invisible rwy. But getting the AI to react will be the test.

Current System Specs:

Yep, currently the AFCAD is very sparse, no taxiways or parking spots and no visible runway (AFX won't allow the setting of a rwy to less than 1meter in width, so what you get is this really thin rwy that basically appears as a solid line down the field). The airport shows on the GPS, but unlike other airports, there is no rwy showing. All of that can be added, although I don't know how to get around the invisible rwy. But getting the AI to react will be the test.
    I know with ADE you can make the runway .01 and it will be invisible, but even if it is not showing, I wonder if the aircraft will follow the runway elevation or the actual terrain.
    Best, Michael

I know with ADE you can make the runway .01 and it will be invisible, but even if it is not showing, I wonder if the aircraft will follow the runway elevation or the actual terrain.
    , Yea, we could end up with having to get the "Crash Crew" out there to get the airplanes back down on their tail skid after the ground loop, lol.

Current System Specs:

Spad.
    Just a suggestion which may or may not work - but can't you use the planes and tank etc in Mick Morrisey's AI packs (see Flightsim.com) for Joe Binkas ORA? They are all ORA aircraft. Most of my fs9 AI aircraft seem to work ok in FSX. He made them especially for Old Rhinebecks short and curving runway and modded the airfiles to climb out OK- so they didn't fly through the trees!.

As for AI I think you have to have a 'flat aerodrome' for the AI to work - or at least the part you want AI aircraft to work in as to be the same alttitude - which means using a 'flatten'. I think I once got around the invisible runway problem with AFX by using a flatten from another programme(not AFX's flatten -I think I used Airport) and setting the altitude for AFX something like 0.1 feet under the altitude for the fllatten - but have never used AFE which maybe a better option.

P.S. Making flightplans with Flightplanner is very simple. If you just want the D25 doing circuits then Mick has already done a AI model for FS9 that may work in FSX (I'll see if the FS9 ORA AIi planes works in FSX this evening as I have ORA and Micks AI installed in my FS9 instillation) - a flightplan would take less then 10 minutes work with Flightplanner to create.

Update: The ORA FS9 AI planes seen to work well in FSX with SP2 -including climbout/landing. Their is a fairly significant framerate hit if you use all 15 (they were all coverted fs9 planes not true low poly ai aircraft -- and their was a framerate hit in FS9 with all 15 displaying- but I have a fairly low spec machine. If you just want the D25 doing circuits (or any or all of the other aircraft created for Joe Binkas ORA) then that should be a simple job using Flightplanner - but the AFCAD -(none displaying runway) maybe your issue?

pps if you want some good low poly 'vintage' ai aircraft - then Bill Lyons packs contain quite a few - and all work well in FSX.

Quote Originally Posted by guzzi View Post
    Spad.
    Just a suggestion which may or may not work - but can't you use the planes and tank etc in Mick Morrisey's AI packs (see Flightsim.com) for Joe Binkas ORA? They are all ORA aircraft. Most of my fs9 AI aircraft seem to work ok in FSX. He made them especially for Old Rhinebecks short and curving runway and modded the airfiles to climb out OK- so they didn't fly through the trees!.

As for AI I think you have to have a 'flat aerodrome' for the AI to work - or at least the part you want AI aircraft to work in as to be the same alttitude - which means using a 'flatten'. I think I once got around the invisible runway problem with AFX by using a flatten from another programme(not AFX's flatten -I think I used Airport) and setting the altitude for AFX something like 0.1 feet under the altitude for the fllatten - but have never used AFE which maybe a better option.

P.S. Making flightplans with Flightplanner is very simple. If you just want the D25 doing circuits then Mick has already done a AI model for FS9 that may work in FSX (I'll see if the FS9 ORA AIi planes works in FSX this evening as I have ORA and Micks AI installed in my FS9 instillation) - a flightplan would take less then 10 minutes work with Flightplanner to create.

Update: The ORA FS9 AI planes seen to work well in FSX with SP2 -including climbout/landing. Their is a fairly significant framerate hit if you use all 15 (they were all coverted fs9 planes not true low poly ai aircraft -- and their was a framerate hit in FS9 with all 15 displaying- but I have a fairly low spec machine. If you just want the D25 doing circuits (or any or all of the other aircraft created for Joe Binkas ORA) then that should be a simple job using Flightplanner - but the AFCAD -(none displaying runway) maybe your issue?

pps if you want some good low poly 'vintage' ai aircraft - then Bill Lyons packs contain quite a few - and all work well in FSX.
    Thanks. I did check with Mick and politely declined having stopped being involved with flight sim. I have a low poly model made and you seem to know quite a bit. Would like to give it go? It will be a few days until I can get to you, being indisposed for the next two or three days.

Using ADE, you can set the runway width to zero. For all other taxiways, use apron links with a width of 3 metres which will keep them hidden but allow AI to observe the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by ananda View Post
    Using ADE, you can set the runway width to zero. For all other taxiways, use apron links with a width of 3 metres which will keep them hidden but allow AI to observe the rules.
    on the taxiways you can leave it as is and change it from taxi to PATH and it will be invisible and work also.
    Best, Michael

Ananda, what scenery do you have? Is that one of your own making? I don't see any buildings and the ground texture is different in several ways from the one I'm working on.

Current System Specs:

Members +
    They Say You Do Do Not Want to know how SAUSAGE is made.but here I Am Enjoying it much...Great Talent pondering this creation...In Retrospect I am So Glad I Posted The Thread which Started this...Thanx to All Cannot wait To Go Flying At OLD RHINEBECK...Thanx Guys Vin:salute:

Ananda, what scenery do you have? Is that one of your own making? I don't see any buildings and the ground texture is different in several ways from the one I'm working on.
    It is made with FSEarthTiles using the Bing server. The only 3-D objects are custom autogen trees and a few static aircraft and cars. The AI are Joe Binka's ORA aircraft.

It is made with FSEarthTiles using the Bing server. The only 3-D objects are custom autogen trees and a few static aircraft and cars. The AI are Joe Binka's ORA aircraft.

Our hope was to get a simple New Standard working the pattern giving rides. As was noted earlier using the AI traffic from Binkas FS9 work will impose a huge frame rate hit. We've modeled a very low poly version of the New Standard and if we provided it to you could you help us getting it working?

Our hope was to get a simple New Standard working the pattern giving rides. As was noted earlier using the AI traffic from Binkas FS9 work will impose a huge frame rate hit. We've modeled a very low poly version of the New Standard and if we provided it to you could you help us getting it working?
    Certainly.

Note. I have created a blended flatten at a different elevation from the default so my AFD file won't work without the original SRTM_1ARCSEC.bgl.

George

The frame rate hit is strictly from the aircraft used, which for the most part were not low poly models designed for AI use. When true AI models are made and painted, they can be substituted in the flightplans using any of the flightplan compilers. (Don't forget to convert them to FSX first, or ALL your true FSX traffic will disappear, if using FS9 plans!) (I just lost all my FSX AI because an FS9 plan snuck in. Used AIFlightplanner to find it, and converted to FSX, and all my FSX AI is working again. This is a built in FSX problem.)

aifp_v2.2.09.zip available at avsim.com
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X
    MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WIFI/BT
    64GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MHz DDR5 C40 (4x16)
    Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX7900XT 20GB DDR6
    Corsair 5000D Airflow Case
    Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD P/S
    Liquid Freezer II 360 water cooling
    C:/ WD Black 4TB SN770 Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    D:/ Crucial P3 PLUS 4TB Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    Samsung 32" Curved Monitor
    Honeycomb and Saitek Flight Equipment

Certainly.

Note. I have created a blended flatten at a different elevation from the default so my AFD file won't work without the original SRTM_1ARCSEC.bgl.

George
    I'd say give it a try. I was try to leave the area "Au natural" as the field has some undulations, but if it hinders the use of the AI then it's probably worth the trade off. The AI would be a cool addition.

Current System Specs:

I'd say give it a try. I was try to leave the area "Au natural" as the field has some undulations, but if it hinders the use of the AI then it's probably worth the trade off. The AI would be a cool addition.
    I agree that being able to have an AI new standard in the pattern is more than a far trade off to eliminate some of the undulations. I'll try to figure out how to access that model from my current location and resend it to Ed

I agree that being able to have an AI new standard in the pattern is more than a far trade off to eliminate some of the undulations. I'll try to figure out how to access that model from my current location and resend it to Ed
    Model with description of flight plan sent to Ed

Members who have read this thread: 0