SLI MOBO Suggestions

Thread: SLI MOBO Suggestions

SLI MOBO Suggestions

I've decided to get a new MOBO as my current one does not allow any Over-Clocking on my CPU. I also want to get another 8800 GTS.
    I have a Intel Quad Q9300 CPU and 4GB RAM.

Just a few questions.

1. Does SLI make a significant difference in FSX?

If so...

2. What's a good SLI MOBO (Budget $260 AUD)

If not...

3. What's a good MOBO for OC your CPU? (Budget $260 AUD)

and

4. What's a good fan Cooler (Budget $80 AUD)

Any other advice would be appreciated. All in all I don't want to spend more than $350 - $400 AUD for the MOBO + Cooler

Thanks in advance.

Ben

SLI is a total waste on FSX, ive heard that even a GeForce 8600GT can run FSX well with a good processor.

I'm not sure on the currency conversions but you might want to have a look at the Asus P5 series, especially look at those with a P45 chipset because then you are quaranteed to be able to at least reach a 400Mhz FSB... that is if your CPU allows it of course.

Sell your 8800GTS and get a 4870 or GTX280 instead. This helps FSX way more, since, as Alex already pointed out, SLI/Crossfire is a total waste of money - in FSX.

As for the mobo, check the Asus P5Q (P45) series. They're relatively cheap and good overclockers.

Depending on how much you want to overclock, the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro might be what you're looking for.

Blog Entries
    I am txnetcop and I endorse these posts-good and accurate guys. Just make sure you leave yourself open for SLI or CROSSFIRE for FS11
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

When it comes down to graphics card choice you might want to look more at Nvidia, because some over at simflight.com have reported lower performance on newer ATI cards vs Nvidia.
    From personal experience all i can say is my 9800GTX+ runs great at 1600x1200

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexraptor View Post
    When it comes down to graphics card choice you might want to look more at Nvidia, because some over at simflight.com have reported lower performance on newer ATI cards vs Nvidia.
    From personal experience all i can say is my 9800GTX+ runs great at 1600x1200

I am not disagreeing that may be what you are seeing over there, but this particular brand of HD4870 will run circles around anything up to GTX260 or 9800 X2 as I have proven in the past pics I did on the forum with all sliders right running 36fps in New York in a storm. Granted I OC'd my processor to 4.0Ghz but I normally game at 3.8 with the E8400. ATI also gives better texture rendering.
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

Charter Member 2015
    If you REALLY want an sli board then you should consider the Evga 790i Ultra.......great overclocking performance , but finniky regarding memory
    I wouldn't give up on SLi just yet.......especially if you run high resolutions and are fond of the latest batch of FPS games. Another cooler worth considering is the Tuniq Tower. I've run one of these on my last 3 systems and have found it to out perform many liquid cooling units.
    I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

What you think of this one?

http://www.synnex.com.au/Default.asp...ch=true&page=1

Also could someone direct me to a site that has good info on OCing.

What do you think I could get out of my Q9300 which is running at 2500 Hz?

Thanks

Ben

Charter Member 2015
    That board is fine....though it won't support SLi
    The best overclocking site is generally the one that has manufactured your particular motherboard (asuming that they have a user forums)
    I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Retired SOH Administrator
    It's hard to figure out really what type of MB you need. There are ones for gaming, photo editing, ect..ect. It depends on what type of processor you can swing and what type of memory the old wally can swing. MB that support 2000 buss speeds will go a long way. They also take the new memory and the 45N processor.Of coarse the faster ya wanna go the mo bucks. Best thing to do is join there forums and see how they have held up. I made a mistake a year or so back and brought the first MB that Evga,780i and it ended up being a two week night mare. I joined there forum and found out that others had been having the same problem I was having. I had read about all the raves about this board and decided to buy it. Even some of the computer magazines I read raved about it. But as time went on it ended up being a flop and Evga ended up refunding a lot of money. So my advice would be don't be the first and do plenty of reading...Mike
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Asus Rampage Extreme Motherboard /EVGA AR GeForce GTX 295 1792MB 896 Bit GDDR3 /Corsair 8gig XMS DDR3/Intel Core 2 Extreme QX 9770 Yorkfield OCed 4.2 LGA 775/136W Quad Core / Water Cooled/ 2 WD Raptor 150gig 10,000 rpm Drives in Raid O Mode/WD Raptor 150gig internal back up/400 gig External WD back up Drive/Thermaltake 1200 Watt PS/Sony Dual Layer DVD RD/RW/Plextor DVD/RW/ Thermaltake Kandalf Tower/ Sound Blasters X-FI Platinum / X52 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by kilo delta View Post
    If you REALLY want an sli board then you should consider the Evga 790i Ultra.......great overclocking performance , but finniky regarding memory
    I wouldn't give up on SLi just yet.......especially if you run high resolutions and are fond of the latest batch of FPS games. Another cooler worth considering is the Tuniq Tower. I've run one of these on my last 3 systems and have found it to out perform many liquid cooling units.
    Alright! Taken your advice on the cooler kilo delta. I just hope it fits in my case! :isadizzy: :isadizzy:

:costumes:

Hey, there is always a first time for everything!!! :d

Now all I need to get is the MOBO.

Ben

P.S. For some reason the wife thinks it's totally ridicules. :d

Quote Originally Posted by SirBenn21 View Post
    I have a Intel Quad Q9300 CPU and 4GB RAM.

4. What's a good fan Cooler (Budget $80 AUD)

Thanks in advance.

Ben
    Do you have DDR2 or DDR3 RAM?

As has already been mentioned, the Tuniq Tower 120 is a very good cooler. Just in case you haven't already ordered.... the Zalman 9700 is also a good cooler. I'm using Thermalright Ultra 120 Extremes. They are very good but a pain to install.
    XP Pro: Intel D975XBX2 /QX6700 @ 3.50GHz / 8800GTX / 2X2GB G.Skill PC2 8500 / Ultra 120 Extreme / 150GB Raptor / 320GB Seagate 7200.10 / PC P&C Silencer 750 PSU / CM Stacker 810 / LITE-ON 20X DVD / X-FI Music

Vista Ultimate 64: Intel D975XBX2 / Q6700 @ 3.6GHz / 8800GTX / 4X2GB G.Skill PC2 8000 / Ultra 120 Extreme / 150GB Raptor / 750GB WD Caviar / PC P&C Silencer 750 PSU / CM Stacker 810 / LITE-ON SATA DVD / onboard sound

Quote Originally Posted by SirBenn21 View Post
    Do you really need DDR3?

I think the P5Q Pro or P5Q-E is just as expensive as this one while having more features.

Also could someone direct me to a site that has good info on OCing.
    Google -> "[Mainboard] [CPU] overclocking"

This usually gives you some good results.

I would be careful when taking first steps in OC'ing, even though you can't really damage the CPU (built-in shutdown at excessive temperatures).

What do you think I could get out of my Q9300 which is running at 2500 Hz?
    You're limited by the 7.5 multiplier of the 9300, but as long as your mainboard can get into the 450 Mhz FSB range, you're in for 3.3 to 3.4 Ghz. If you're reallyreallyreally lucky, 3.7Ghz might also be in the prize bucket.

Quote Originally Posted by txnetcop View Post
    Just make sure you leave yourself open for SLI or CROSSFIRE for FS11
    I think it would be best to just leave SLI/CF aside for FSX and get a Nehalem (or beyond) based system for the successor, featuring whatever they will offer for graphics cards (SLI2 or CF2 or whatever).

Members who have read this thread: 0