MQ-9 Reaper.

Thread: MQ-9 Reaper.

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar

MQ-9 Reaper.

Before working on and releasing the Cessna 310, Rob Richardson posted a few previews of the MQ-9 Reaper drone on his website. But due to lack of response and some controversy regarding the real deal Rob isn't sure if it's worth continuing with this project. So, would you be interested in flying a civil version (Currently NASA and homeland security) of this UAV?

I've been flying this early version tonight, and I know I would like to see it finished!:

Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Charter Member 2015
    I'd personally love to see it completed (and armed,if possible)
    I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

"So, would you be interested in flying a civil version (Currently NASA and homeland security) of this UAV?"

Definitely interested here. UAV are the future and this is a beauty. Count me in as very interested. Great work.
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

Armed with a proper vc view from a screen, etc...

Nice model!

-Jeff
    I pass gas!

man, that looks great! Forget the controversy, I say bring it! You can never have enough UAVs!!

I got a place on the tarmac ready and waiting, LOL.

Best, Michael

Blog Entries
    I hope he pursues this...yahooooooooooooooooo!!!
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

Very nice!

Put it in USCG livery and use it for SAR.

I hope he pursues it and also releases an AI version as well. It would be great to have a drone that can "drone" in the sim, that I could see on patrol when flying in another aircraft.

Please, RPA (Remotely Piloted Aircraft), not drone.

Drones were targets mostly flown autonomously. These aircraft are very much flown all the time by a pilot. Plus, they drop bombs and fire air-to-ground missiles -- the exact opposite of drones.

Cheers,

Ken

The Iranians consider them drones

Dave

I found this interesting, what countries have them and what kind

http://www.theguardian.com/news/data...cks-by-country
    Best, Michael

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Yes yes yes

Truly brilliant!

I would love to see it completed.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by ST0RM View Post
    Armed with a proper vc view from a screen, etc...

The VC might be a problem; the aircraft obviously doesn't have a cockpit, and the ground station is quite complex (On the MQ-1 I see two seats and no less than fourteen screens..) and not very practical for Fs purposes. Well see what Rob thinks is the best solution.

Good to see there are people interested in this project!
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Why not a sort of HUD , with all flight data on the screen. While the screen is being fully rotatable as a FLIR/Camera? Seen that being used on most RCA...just a thought.

Cheers,
    Hank

Quote Originally Posted by hae5904 View Post
    Why not a sort of HUD , with all flight data on the screen. While the screen is being fully rotatable as a FLIR/Camera? Seen that being used on most RCA...just a thought.
    That was my suggestion to Rob too, Hank. We'll have to wait and see what he decides when he returns from his holiday.

SOH-CM-2023
    I did that on my Jindivik - tried to reproduce the main screen of the Ground Station at Llanbedr. Unfortunately its over at Britsim which is currently offline.
    KeithAttachment 92328

Definitely interested in this! An armed edition would be great too!
    "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses". - Elwood
    Learn more about the mission of the Collings Foundation here - www.collingsfoundation.org
    Collings Foundation Facebook page - http://www.facebook.com/collings.foundation

Cheers,
    Hank
    Yes, exactly what I was thinking. The view from the screen with HUD overlay so you can fly it properly. Having a ground station view would shift it too far back to effectively see anything.

Can't wait.
    I pass gas!

Quote Originally Posted by Sieggie View Post
    The Iranians consider them drones

Dave
    No, the Iranians considered it a cheap opportunity to act up, and then failed in doing what they apparently set out to do.

But, jokes aside, since this forum frowns upon political statements, I'm really prevented from saying what I wanted to say.

Ken

Members +
    Blog Entries
    Besides. Who care what the Iraniolas think about flight simming. Death to political correctness!

For that much work on it, he should release it. One should fly it from the "tower" view vice using a VC. Be sure to remove all radios, and have it simulating loosing link but just flying around on it's own for a few hours! Seriously, the VC would be an issue, I do think the HUD view is the best option along with some form of sim'd IR view, so the user could put the RPA on auto and "scan" for targets/people.
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

The largest problem he faces in making it realistic is that General Atomics closely guards all its information. So, even simple things like how the HUD looks is restricted by the manufacturer.

Ultimately, the best thing to do is superimpose a standard military spec HUD display in green tint over top the view of the ground, and then have the view of the ground be linked to basic joystick controls so that there would be a way to map its ability to zoom in/out, and pan around, while at the same time assigning the primary joystick controls to normal pilot functions. The challenge for the gaming PC pilot would be to keep the aircraft flying properly while looking down at a small piece of ground while relying merely on the HUD instrumentation to keep proper alignment.

In other words, a lot like flying on instruments while in IMC, except you have the distraction of watching a small piece of the ground you look at. Go with a single standard radio using the default FSX interface (which itself is limited to just VHF). And remember, there is no automated system for takeoff and landing. It's pure manual pilot stuff, and it isn't easy!

Unfortunately, the more interesting elements could never be replicated. But, it would be a lot of challenging fun if they could.

Ken