CUSTOM SCENERY - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CUSTOM SCENERY

Members +
    Thanx Dumonceau....My friend who had this air port,He was a FAA Authorized everthing!..This plane needed paperwork,and some modifications.The guy heard of my friend and his expertise,and would not be persuaded not to land there..If you see the new Pics here of SKYTOP you can see Why.But one AM,this plane lands..The work got done.Was told to off load Gas,Unload stuff ,but he did not.Taxied with tail on the road,Revved up full throttle,Flaps,The Thing Rumbled and Shook..and off he went..Looked like a Dolittle B-25 carrier take off..Great Short Field Take Off.He dipped off the end ,but in a Roar of Full Throttle "HE DID IT'..I learned to like that plane. I worked on it, Helping , I believe its still around,I do not know where,last seen was in Florida.....Vin

Quote Originally Posted by beana51 View Post
    Thanx Dumonceau....My friend who had this air port,He was a FAA Authorized everthing!..This plane needed paperwork,and some modifications.The guy heard of my friend and his expertise,and would not be persuaded not to land there..If you see the new Pics here of SKYTOP you can see Why.But one AM,this plane lands..The work got done.Was told to off load Gas,Unload stuff ,but he did not.Taxied with tail on the road,Revved up full throttle,Flaps,The Thing Rumbled and Shook..and off he went..Looked like a Dolittle B-25 carrier take off..Great Short Field Take Off.He dipped off the end ,but in a Roar of Full Throttle "HE DID IT'..I learned to like that plane. I worked on it, Helping , I believe its still around,I do not know where,last seen was in Florida.....Vin
    I'll tell you something else: judging by the number 1 on the nose, that plane was the plane our King was flown in on Royal visits! That makes that picture even more special to me!

If you could get me pics of that plane in this day and age, I would be forever in your debt!

BTW, downloaded both of the sceneries and will try them out, but in something like the Wilga, to make sure not to run of of runway!! LOL!

I love this kind of threads!

Dumonceau

Members +
    Quote Originally Posted by Dumonceau View Post
    I'll tell you something else: judging by the number 1 on the nose, that plane was the plane our King was flown in on Royal visits! That makes that picture even more special to me!

If you could get me pics of that plane in this day and age, I would be forever in your debt!

BTW, downloaded both of the sceneries and will try them out, but in something like the Wilga, to make sure not to run of of runway!! LOL!

Dumonceau
    I will look carefully in our family Pics..what ever I find I will post them..Amazing! The KINGS plane...It was very Spartan in the cabin when we seen it..A big cabin tho.Wonder what the rest of the story was..I will look for a "N" Number also...Thanx..Vin.......I flew Cubs,Cessnas ,Pipers ,and a twin Aztec out of SKYTOP And when a Pembroke can do it? so can anyone...NOT...<label for="rb_iconid_24"></label>

SOH-CM-2023
    Quote Originally Posted by MCDesigns View Post
    That is one skinny runway, LOL Nice area though! If you can actually get me images of "everything" on the field, drop me a PM Brian.
    I'll see how the weather holds out this weekend. Thanks
    You can't take the sky from me...

May I humbly suggest Ithaca (KITH)? There's not too much of a real challenge, it's just located in a very pretty area and it's quite a nice airport :mixedsmi:

http://www.cscos.com/wp-content/uplo...viation-m1.jpg
    "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is a war room!"

Intel i5-3230M @3.10 GHz, 8GB DDR3 RAM @1600 MHz, AMD Radeon HD 7670M Graphics 2GB DDR3, 640 GB HDD @5400 RPM, Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit, FSX+Acceleration

Members +
    Quote Originally Posted by Dumonceau View Post

Dumonceau
    All I have is these two pics,However I may get more along with the "N" number..Last heard it went to the North West..could be with some "GREEN" people .whale tracking or something like that..So lets see what we can dig up..Now I'am curious also Stay in touch.Vin

SKYTOP STUFF I think Runway is Up side DownLOL1

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvanriv View Post
    May I humbly suggest Ithaca (KITH)? There's not too much of a real challenge, it's just located in a very pretty area and it's quite a nice airport :mixedsmi:

I agree, great airport, love the layout.

Just some info for those that might want to suggest an airport they would like to see enhanced. For me and I am sure other scenery developers, everything we do to enhance an airport has different levels of skill, technique and especially time involved.

For me, finding and processing the photoreal background and aligning/editing the default AFCAD is easy and not time consuming in the least. Adding some default or existing abjects, takes a little more time, but not hard. Editing the photoreal for different seasons and adding large areas of autogen, much more time involved, but still not that hard just tedious. Creating custom objects, now this can be time consuming, but not hard for me since I know my way around modeling apps, the texture creation takes more time than the modeling. The real pain is creating custom "realistic" ground polys for aprons, taxiways and runways. I can create them no problem, but good, realistic texturing and especially placement/scaling is a big process and very time consuming, especially for me since I don't have a routine technique for this area , so it is still hit or miss on the first try. just some some info I thought I would throw out there.
    Best, Michael

For me, finding and processing the photoreal background and aligning/editing the default AFCAD is easy and not time consuming in the least. Adding some default or existing abjects, takes a little more time, but not hard. Editing the photoreal for different seasons and adding large areas of autogen, much more time involved, but still not that hard just tedious. Creating custom objects, now this can be time consuming, but not hard for me since I know my way around modeling apps, the texture creation takes more time than the modeling. The real pain is creating custom "realistic" ground polys for aprons, taxiways and runways. I can create them no problem, but good, realistic texturing and especially placement/scaling is a big process and very time consuming, especially for me since I don't have a routine technique for this area , so it is still hit or miss on the first try. just some some info I thought I would throw out there.
    I understand what you're saying, having spoken to several scenery developers, and I just would like to thank you for donating your time and skill to this community to make these incredible airports!

EDIT: Michael, if you ever end up doing Ithaca, let me know and I'll get you some more photos.

Intel i5-3230M @3.10 GHz, 8GB DDR3 RAM @1600 MHz, AMD Radeon HD 7670M Graphics 2GB DDR3, 640 GB HDD @5400 RPM, Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit, FSX+Acceleration

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvanriv View Post

Ithaca has been done and is on SOH.

Dave

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...id=113&id=8092

I actually have this scenery, and I like it, but, and this in no way me ragging on Mr. Cook, because I have tried to make scenery, and understand what kind of a task it is, and I respect him and enjoy his work, it just feels like it could be a little bit better, maybe with photoreal, or maybe just a few more realistic objects.

Just my opinion.

I like the scenery, but I would just love to see Ithaca a little better represented (I guess I just notice it because I'm at the airport so much)...I mean, everyone wants to see their hometown airport looking better, but seeing as this thread was in the NY region, I thought I would just point it out.

Sorry if this sounded rude to anyone, and to Mr. Cook, I would like to say that I respect and appreciate you very much for taking the time to make these sceneries and share them with the community.

Hope you guys understand me. :mixedsmi:

Cheers,
    Sylvan

Hello i would like to thank you for that great scenery. I like it a lot, thank you for it.

I know that this thread is not a request thread, but when i saw this thread it came to my mind that maybe someone could make another scenery for a little german airport that i like a lot. Its EDKN maybe someone is willing to do it for us.

So it looks like at FSX with UTX-Europe + FTX Global:

Here is some information and pictures:

http://www.lsv-wipperfuerth.de/flugplatz/aip-infos/
    http://wiki.worldflicks.org/flugplat...Crth-neye.html
    http://www.ulforum.de/ultraleicht/fl...erth-neye/EDKN
    http://www.alltravels.com/germany/no...photo-48901601
    http://fsairport.net/EDKN

Some youtube Videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiyFTfP_l5U
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4L6Jmg81cUM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8WR1ku7fSA

Maybe someone got to take pity on me. :salute:

Members +

FROST ON THE PUMPKEN

Here at DOWNSVILL NY NY78,the great Scenery by Falcon 409,available here in this thread.,Makes a Beautiful Picture....Vin<label for="rb_iconid_24"></label>

I decided to take a different airplane into SkyTop. I was having a heck of a time landing there and I can usually land anywhere there's a runway, or something flat and long enough to set down on. I took the Alabeo Waco and actually had an easier time of it landing in that than I did with smaller airplanes. Go figure. lol
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Members +
    HA HA the Real Skytop is a bit easier I will admit.....Landing to the north ,the Strip looks like a Carrier top..Those trees in the this FSX version do give a problem.But Fly between them.You must fly a standred pattern,On base 2nd notch flap,turn to Finial at the Pond ,come in low,slow,Some Power, no full flap,and ready for go around because of the Deer..Were Michael to remove the trees on finial approach end pf the Runway,it would be perfect..its all Short Field Landing and Take Off...our Cessna C-172? a natural,as any SEL..Here!.We flew an Aztec there,This when we did an Air Taxi Thing ..However your DOWNSVILLE is right on,In The Valley So low.. These are VFR Sunday PM airports.. Been having fun going back and forth in that 11minute flight..Thanx my Friend...Vin<label for="rb_iconid_24"></label>

No problem Vin. I produced some 10meter mesh for the area, but discovered that it made very little actual change in what was already there, so it wasn't worth pursuing. Having a good time flying back and forth as well. Looking at other airports in that general area, but reference material (pictures of the hangars, terminals, houses) is mostly non-existent.

Current System Specs:

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    No problem Vin. I produced some 10meter mesh for the area, but discovered that it made very little actual change in what was already there, so it wasn't worth pursuing. Having a good time flying back and forth as well. Looking at other airports in that general area, but reference material (pictures of the hangars, terminals, houses) is mostly non-existent.
    In those cases, you just have to take a bit of artistic license as it's my position that pretty much anything beats default.

RD

Members +
    Handcock,NK68m"WHITEBIRCH: also gives a challenge..Time was you flew there for Sunday AM FLAP JACKS dripping with local Mapel Syrup,and Local Farm Butter....Glad yer flying to Both these Airports..Sullivan County International is a Fine Airport..Its Not International ,but just a Pork=Barrel Field for the Rich and Famous..I kept Plane there Also,in Winter ..The others were buried under snow..Well Its fun ,To Say the Least..now Both in the Real world,Memorys Eye and on the Sim...great...Thanx Vin<label for="rb_iconid_25"></label>

Members +
    Quote Originally Posted by rdaniell View Post
    In those cases, you just have to take a bit of artistic license as it's my position that pretty much anything beats default.

RD
    Yes anything..but these Improvement to the Default are any thing but anything....To see reality come to life on a Sim as here? Amazing..Any Who ,Trees do grow since I Left,so its 100% real LOL!.. Which Begs the Question ,When ,if ever will our Desk Top sim be as real as it can get? as seen here the talent ,artistic ability,imagination,fervor exists..Vin.Have Fun

Quote Originally Posted by beana51 View Post
    Handcock,NK68m"WHITEBIRCH: also gives a challenge..Time was you flew there for Sunday AM FLAP JACKS dripping with local Mapel Syrup,and Local Farm Butter..... . . . .
    Any references/photos, remembrances you have for that field. The overhead gives no clue as to what the buildings look like.

Current System Specs:

Here's a couple of screen shots of what I was trying to say earlier about anything being better than default. I searched for reference material for my current project and was unable to find any photos of what things look like on the ground. All I have to go on is aerial photos. Bird's eye view gives you a little perspective on how things look but not much. Anyway, I created some custom buildings based on nothing but my best guess as to how they might actually look. A little of what I ended up with is based upon some really old memories of how things looked several years ago when I last landed at this airport.

RD

Members +
    Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    Any references/photos, remembrances you have for that field. The overhead gives no clue as to what the buildings look like.
    Hi again..I have been using this site below for close up shots..from this I acquired some Pics..The place seems deteriorated some what,granted its back woods ,However Its a place that once offered a good Breakfast Country style in the larger greenish Bldg..There still are planes to be seen.the Country side however is beautiful..,Head waters for the Mighty Delaware River.start here...Thanx Vin

http://www.liveatc.net/feedmap/feedmap.html

http://www.airnav.com/airport/NK68

You do make some nice models Randy. I still am far behind in that area. Only problem I have (and honestly, this is just me and no reflection on what you're suggesting) is that when I decide to do an airport that people have memories of, having flown there in the past, is that the main structures should look like what they remember. . .if they don't, the "immersion factor" drops because even though the area looks right, the buildings/hangars they remember seeing each time they taxied up and parked aren't there. That's the problem for me when doing scenery that people "remember" from their past. If there isn't any decent reference material, I won't mess with it. Downsville was an exception because there wasn't anything in the buildings that was unique. Those three hangars at the end of the rwy look quite similar in size and style to what's there. . .so it worked.

These others, where they used to fly there for breakfast, or for a fly-in. . .the main Terminal/Restaurant (irregardless of it's size) was probably unique in some way (the building style, shape, outside signs, railing, fences, etc, etc) and that's the part I want to try to incorporate in the scenery. . .usually the hangars are like most of other hangars and there's usually something in the default objects that works fine, but these other buildings. . .just different.

It's irritating somewhat too, because I see the airports for the buildings that "make the airport". Pilots who fly into these little "Mom and Pop" strips see the airport differently and that's reflected in what you see when you go looking for images of the airport. You'll see picture after picture of where they park, pictures of other airplanes landing, pictures of the sign on the fence along the runways, pictures of deer crossing the rwy before someone lands, birds, clouds, houses on the other side of the airport. . . .but not ONE shot of any hangars, terminals, restaurants, nothing like that, grrrr, lol.

Current System Specs:

Actually Falcon you and I are on the same page. I agree completely with one or two buildings making the airport. I got lucky with some of my projects as there were some photos available of the building from ground level and different perspectives. A few, like Sylvester, I simply went out to the airport and made some sketches of the actual buildings.

Unfortunately, sometimes there are no photos nor can we get any sketches. That's when one's imagination is all we have to work with. And as I said, even that beats the heck out of default.

Thanks for the compliment on my models.

RD

Members +
    Yes Of Course Its all true what you say..Our vanity in photo taking usually was our selves,and our plane...There was no concept of trying to recreate all the places one had been.Too be sure the FBOs may have had pics as to what was important to them.Was was important to many Pilots were pics of a personnel nature.Your quest for detail,in recreating are your tools..one can approximate,imagine,conjecture , however it never will replace Detail pics...Even Memory is not too valid,..Factor in over time the changes.?? Yea it Was A Red Hanger..One year later its Blue.. You Sir are a great detective,Looking for the facts..True you could mass produce scenery..But thats been done..its called DEFAULT.....now in retrospect ,some many years ago, if we knew that today we would be flying at a desk top ,why I would have taken Pics of every thing..Signs,Doors,House shapes, sleeping dogs,gas pumps,textures,and the characters meet..But we were not privy to the future.,as today we cannot envision the next level .If I had a hint of a .holodeck coming?? WOW!...So my Friend,as far as FSX ,or Simulation? You Do One Helllava job.You give us a close very approximation,and our minds,and whats left of memory, fill in the blanks and its all OK because it makes we old kids feel good! I thank you and so to do many others...Stay Well,Have fun Vin

Of course Historic movie Making always has this challange also.The eternal quest for FACTS...Verbaly and visually! They know On Pic is worth a MILLION concepts.be it true or not!!Goodnight!

Members who have read this thread: 1