Tragedy at work

Thread: Tragedy at work

Tragedy at work

This morning, a 36 or 37 year old man died of a heart attack at work. Most likely dead before he hit the floor. His family stated that heart problems run in the family and that he had been having chest pains for the last few days...but refused to go to the hospital because he did not want to risk losing his job...which he just started on Friday. I don't know if trading your life for a job that pays just over $8 an hour is such a good trade.

My friend Jill....a gal who works in the sanitation department...was the one who found him...and was holding his hand and talking to him as he took his last couple of breaths. She is way shaken up! Will give her a call in a few minutes to see how she is doing.

Folks....if you have any possible indication that you are having a heart attack....get to the hospital immediately.....don't delay treatment. If that young man had gone to the hospital, he might still be alive.

Tim
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    That's sad... Especially since it could have been prevented so easily..

Years ago something similar happened with a truck driver at my work.. He said he wasn't feeling well and didn't look great either, but after a glass of water and some rest decided to drive back to the supplier, despite people saying he shouldn't do that and that we would call him a doctor or ambulance. Twenty minutes later the police called, asked if we could move 'our' truck. They investigated a jam at a traffic light and found the truck driver dead behind the wheel.. Had he died two minutes later he would have been driving at 50 mph on the highway..
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Just as a refresher for everyone, from the Mayo Clinic:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hea...mptoms/HB00054

"Hornets by mandate, Tomcats by choice!"

Terrible news.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by OBIO View Post
    This morning, a 36 or 37 year old man died of a heart attack at work. Most likely dead before he hit the floor. His family stated that heart problems run in the family and that he had been having chest pains for the last few days...but refused to go to the hospital because he did not want to risk losing his job...which he just started on Friday. I don't know if trading your life for a job that pays just over $8 an hour is such a good trade.

My friend Jill....a gal who works in the sanitation department...was the one who found him...and was holding his hand and talking to him as he took his last couple of breaths. She is way shaken up! Will give her a call in a few minutes to see how she is doing.

Folks....if you have any possible indication that you are having a heart attack....get to the hospital immediately.....don't delay treatment. If that young man had gone to the hospital, he might still be alive.

Tim
    That dovetails hand in hand with another story I read about today where a college intern in Great Britain was working for Bank of America. It seems he was required to work three consecutive near 24-hour shifts. It seems the shifts allowed him only one to two hours off between shifts each day! After the third shift, he went home and took a shower and his roommate found him dead in that shower. Exactly how he died was not provided in the news article. Brutal doesn't begin to describe it. And this was for a bank! Since when has a bank engaged in what is truly life and death endeavors! I mean it's one thing if someone dies of overexertion while engaged in combat operations in a war zone. But banking!

I wish this young man had followed your good advice. No such job is worth killing yourself for. The young man should have quit his job and ensured that word got out about the brutality of his Bank of America managers who would have scheduled something so evil. Making money in a business endeavor is never worth killing people over. Sad that we should even need to say such a thing! I hope police investigate the Bank of America issue. I would like to see his surviving family bring a civil suit for wrongful death against BoA.

Ken

I would comment on BOA, but I don't want to start that here. Suffice it to say that I will never do business with them.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.