Craig and Matts F4 Pantom Project
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Craig and Matts F4 Pantom Project

Craig and Matts F4 Pantom Project

If you have been around for a while on the SOH scene you may recall this thread…

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...h+up+for+grabs

a little update for you...

It is shame that nothing has developed so far from this. As stated in the thread Phil(Skippy Bing) has a copy of the mesh and he fully intended to do develop this for FSX, but nothing has come from that so far... that is not a criticism of Phil in anyway… with the best will in the world, things do not always work out as we intend. I think we'd all like to see a Flying Stations F4K/M and someday maybe we will.

When Craig and I met up recently and where discussing what to do next, now that the Sopwith Pup is nearing release, the subject of the Phantom came up in conversation. Craig offered as a favour to me to do some work on it to get it up to a basic freeware standard, so that I could at least fulfill my desire to see it in FSX. Craig has done some amazing work on it adding detail that I had not (because I didn't have the reference available at the time)... and expanding the resolution of the mesh (I was a bit unduly worried about the poly count when I made it). What he has done has turned out so well that its looking like it will be pushed that bit further and made a payware model under the Rara-Avis Sim label. I think he's been bitten by the Gas Burner Bug

We cant be any more certain of finishing this than anyone else... all we can say at the moment is that this is a promising development for fans of the Phantom. At the moment the F-4B and F-4N are the focus of our attention but we’re not ruling out other versions of the F-4. Here are a few pic’s of the current progress in the 3D StudioMAX development software. Consider this thread a peak through our work shop window. Let the journey commence

Matt

Attachment 92002

Attachment 92003

Attachment 92004

Attachment 92005

Attachment 92006

Attachment 92007

Attachment 92009

Thanks for the news and preview, Matt. Will be watching this one for sure.
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X
    MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WIFI/BT
    64GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MHz DDR5 C40 (4x16)
    Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX7900XT 20GB DDR6
    Corsair 5000D Airflow Case
    Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD P/S
    Liquid Freezer II 360 water cooling
    C:/ WD Black 4TB SN770 Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    D:/ Crucial P3 PLUS 4TB Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    Samsung 32" Curved Monitor
    Honeycomb and Saitek Flight Equipment

Thanks for the HU, that model look spot on :salute:. Does this "Rara-Avis Sim" have a website or FB page? Google only gives me a Sopwith Pup Youtube movie...

thanks, Henk.

Quote Originally Posted by hschuit View Post
    Thanks for the HU, that model look spot on :salute:. Does this "Rara-Avis Sim" have a website or FB page? Google only gives me a Sopwith Pup Youtube movie...

thanks, Henk.
    No, Sorry Henk ... we don't have a Web page or facebook page at the moment. We do all our previewing here at SOH. We needed a label to market our payware under to distinguish it from the freeware projects Craig and I have done... available at Craig's freeware site...http://classicwings.net/

Craig did start a thread here somewhere on SOH to introduce the Rara-Avis Sim label... but even I cant find it at the moment so I'll leave Craig to post a link here to it since others may have missed it. Craig came up with the name Rara Avis... its latin for rare bird or thing...which tends to be our bag. Although you may not think of a Phantom as a rare bird in FSX there are not too many to be had at the moment... although there are currently a number in development.

Matt

Heywood... I get enough of Gulls nesting on my roof... I didn't realize there squawking meant "mine, mine"

Matt

The thread in which Criag (Full) announces "Rara-Avis Sim"

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...im-For-FSX-P3D

Cheers,

Matt & Huub: Thank you for the "Rara-Avis Sim" info/links !

cheers, Henk.

Oh man, great news of the WIP. The native F-4 has been on my wish list what seems like forever. These are exciting times with all the great aircraft to be released in the future. Thanks guys for pushing the Phantom further into reality.
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

Quote Originally Posted by MDIvey View Post
    Craig did start a thread here somewhere on SOH to introduce the Rara-Avis Sim label... but even I cant find it at the moment
    I believe he mentioned it when talking about your WW1 offering, the Sopwith Pup?

Regarding the Phantom - oh, the repaint possibilities.....

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by dhazelgrove View Post
    Regarding the Phantom - oh, the repaint possibilities.....
    Dave
    Your not wrong there.

Matt

Your not wrong there.

Matt
    Attachment 92023Attachment 92024

Something like these? Yes, I know they're both the F-4J, but both squadrons would perhaps have flown something similar on the "B"-model.

Dave

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    Awesome news! I love those F4's.
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

I think a lot of us are very excited by the prospect of an FSX native Phantom.

Dave... I'm still researching paint schemes for the B/N so I'm open to suggestions. We may yet do a J which would open up bags of additional possibilities.

Matt

Great project, I´m really looking forward to fly this bird!

Just a few suggestions for the repaints ;-)

Attachment 92055Attachment 92056Attachment 92057Attachment 92058Attachment 92059

And another suggestion! VF-143 Pukin' Dogs!

Attachment 92060

And just a cool Phantom painting....

Attachment 92061

Heck, it's a Phantom! I'll take any that comes by and looks as good as this one does. The only things I (humbly) ask for are: smoke, flames and NOISE!

It's about time we had a good Phantom in FSX. I'm getting a bit tired of flying my half-hearted C9 portover!

If you have been around for a while on the SOH scene you may recall this thread…

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...h+up+for+grabs

a little update for you...

It is shame that nothing has developed so far from this. As stated in the thread Phil(Skippy Bing) has a copy of the mesh and he fully intended to do develop this for FSX, but nothing has come from that so far... that is not a criticism of Phil in anyway… with the best will in the world, things do not always work out as we intend. I think we'd all like to see a Flying Stations F4K/M and someday maybe we will.

Matt
    You have me to blame for that not SkippyBing, I am his texture artist and real life has got in the way of finishing our other projects in front of the F4.

sketchy, you deserve no blame at all. Real life always comes first. That is why it is called real life. We are just thankful the project is still alive. We all look forward to any possible contribution you make for the upcoming F4.
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

Indeed no blame from here either to Phil or sketchy... that's just life...I see on your facebook page things are progressing with your Bucc S2. That will be a welcome addition to FSX.

thanks for the paint suggestions... will keep those in mind

Matt

It looks great, but it doesn't have a propeller!

Cheers,
    Huub

Quote Originally Posted by stovall View Post
    Oh man, great news of the WIP. The native F-4 has been on my wish list what seems like forever. These are exciting times with all the great aircraft to be released in the future. Thanks guys for pushing the Phantom further into reality.
    Oh yes...PLEASE bring it on...!
    Now that the Rhino has been extinct in Germany...that would be Phabulous, Phantastic, Phenomenal...I have been longing to phly a FSX naitive Phantom phor soooo long! The Virtavia FS9 Version is nice...but a native one would be even better!
    Godspeed, Bernd
    NATO E-3A Squadron 1, 1993 - 2000

"Runway left behind and altitude above are useless..." Al "Tex" Johnston
    Remember YUKLA 27
    Remember ESSO 77

Why don't you guys join forces with Alexis from Project Airbus?
    He's working on a so far very good looking F-4B/C and I'm pretty sure that he wouldn't say no to someone willing to help out here and there.

You guys could paint something or do other versions of the Rhino or...

http://talk.pafs.wf/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2598

Thanks for suggestion.

I was aware of that F4 project and others. it looks good. The great thing about doing your own is that you can do it exactly how you would like it done... So whilst I'm looking forward to the others our one is the most exciting prospect to me...naturally so I guess

Matt

The great thing about doing your own is that you can do it exactly how you would like it done... So whilst I'm looking forward to the others our one is the most exciting prospect to me...naturally so I guess
    Of course, but with freeware developers being few and far between, a double take at the same thing is a bit of a waste from an outsider's point of view.

Consider me looking forward to your model though. Can't have too many Phantoms.