A-300 down near Birmingham-Shuttlesworth Inte - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A-300 down near Birmingham-Shuttlesworth Inte

As many will know Bernt is a real world pilot and as such has an understandable sensitivity to such reports. However as a community we choose to morn those we know or know of, so please Bernt, allow our membership to acknowledge their passing as a mark of respect to all those who pass over, pursuing their love of aviation.
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

The FAA is a "tombstone" agency, taking action only when people are killed. The only constructive thing we can do it learn lessons which will reduce such future events. I am not an Airbus pilot so not familiar with their exact procedures and capabilities. Bernt is.

however I have witnessed several procedural errors in the cockpit that could cause the described accident. The most likely would be accidental deletion of the final approach fix if a VNAV descent was used. This would cause premature descent which might not be detected in poor conditions and darkness. At five AM the crew was not likely to be as alert as they could be. The Cargo companies lobbying to exclude them from revised rest requirements is not supported by statistics. The assumption is that some pilots lives are less valuable?

let us hope for more valuable training, not just more,training.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by bstolle View Post
    Why is it that some people deem it necessary to post such tragic events ASAP, literally within minutes of an accident.
    Looks like a disgusting race who can post such tragic events first on every imaginable webpage.
    Or perhaps it is because this is very much, and always has been, an aviation themed website and therefore people are acutely interested and well above average intelligent on aviation issues.

I think your offense is the only offense here and it's clear you've done this before.

Perhaps you should consider letting people be free to post such news in the Newshawks thread. I think they can do without your overt efforts of pressure.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by rdaniell View Post
    Does somebody need a hug? Isn't this a lot out of character for you?

RD
    I don't think he's looking for a hug. But, unfortunately, he does seem to be searching for opportunities to insult members here and publicly castigate against them, and isn't being the least bit reluctant to do so.

Personally speaking, it's wearing a bit thin on me, and judging by the reaction he got (and it seems deliberately wished to further provoke repeatedly) I'm not the only one seeing it this way.

I sincerely hope he reconsiders his actions. Because I also think he is a very valuable member here and it would be sad to see it end adversely for anyone.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by fliger747 View Post
    The FAA is a "tombstone" agency, taking action only when people are killed. The only constructive thing we can do it learn lessons which will reduce such future events. I am not an Airbus pilot so not familiar with their exact procedures and capabilities. Bernt is.

however I have witnessed several procedural errors in the cockpit that could cause the described accident. The most likely would be accidental deletion of the final approach fix if a VNAV descent was used. This would cause premature descent which might not be detected in poor conditions and darkness. At five AM the crew was not likely to be as alert as they could be. The Cargo companies lobbying to exclude them from revised rest requirements is not supported by statistics. The assumption is that some pilots lives are less valuable?

let us hope for more valuable training, not just more,training.

Tom
    Very well written! When we sign the contract to become a professional pilot, whether in the military or the civilian world, or both, we earn many enviable compensations and perks. One of the prices we all pay is that if we make a mistake, or even if we make no mistake at all, our actions can become worldwide news fodder very quickly.

Moreover, our peers will nitpick everything we did and microscopically analyze it to report to everyone what we did that might have contributed to the mishap. The public, largely being paying passengers, expect nothing less and deserve nothing less. They also have a right and need to know when such a mishap happens.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhawk_310R View Post
    Or perhaps it is because this is very much, and always has been, an aviation themed website and therefore people are acutely interested and well above average intelligent on aviation issues.

I think your offense is the only offense here and it's clear you've done this before.

Perhaps you should consider letting people be free to post such news in the Newshawks thread. I think they can do without your overt efforts of pressure.

Ken
    100% agree, Ken.

Don

Having had a lot of friends and associates killed in aviation over the years I can understand this being a touchy issue, so understanding and patience is appreciated.

Regards to All: Tom

Thanks for the words of moderation guys. It's certainly a tragedy among many tragedies over the years and thank the Lord that the crew got the Airbus past and over the residential area beyond the runway.

Still, as noted in previous threads, this is the "Newshawks" forum and is the proper place for coverage of this.
    Keep your airspeed up,

Jagdflieger

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...me=Jagdflieger

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty
    to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
    deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Benjamin Franklin

Not a lot of new information in this news article, but some information is provided. Primarily that a review of the recorders indicates the two pilots received audible descent rate warnings 16 seconds before impact. The other piece of information is that the primary runway was down for maintenance on the lights. Therefore the crew elected to land on a shorter runway. Though the article did not clearly say this, I surmise from the description of the jet's approach pattern that the crew was flying a localizer approach.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/08/17...est=latestnews

There was a witness of the mishap, but it seems he only observed the final impact that happened after it seems the jet made initial contact with obstructions.

Ken

Members who have read this thread: 0