Manfred's Douglas C-47 Reloaded (Beta) - Page 17
Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 7910111213141516171819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: Manfred's Douglas C-47 Reloaded (Beta)

Members +

Tri-turbo

I am so excited with all the DC-3's & the variants. Please, 'O pretty please.. how about the (damn ugly, I know) Tri-Turbo?

'The Conroy Tri-Turbo-Three was a Douglas DC-3 fitted with three Pratt & Whitney Canada PT6 engines by Conroy Aircraft; the third engine was mounted on the nose of the aircraft. It first flew on November 2, 1977.[1] The cruise speed of the aircraft was increased to 230 miles per hour (370 km/h). The engine mounted on the nose could be shut off, decreasing the speed to 180 miles per hour (290 km/h) and increasing the range of the aircraft. It was used by Polair and Maritime Patrol And Rescue. It was fitted with skis for use in Polar regions and flew in the North Pole region out of Resolute Bay Canada. It was uniquely suited for flying long distances and landing on rough, unprepared snow runways. It provided support to the first non-government expeditions to Mount Vinson in Antarctica, and was instrumental in opening up the interior of Antarctica to private expeditions and tourism.[1] In early May 1986 workers at the Santa Barbara Municipal Airport accidentally started a fire in the cockpit of the aircraft, which destroyed the cockpit. A second Tri-Turbo-Three was then manufactured out of the wreckage of the old plane and a different airframe.'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conroy_Tri-Turbo-Three

Members +
    By the way... what is the Vista variant? Bigger windows?

Members +
    this link shows Rolls Royce Mk. 510 turboprops, as well as a Super DC-3 with dart engines & fully enclosed landing gear.

http://www.air-and-space.com/conroy.htm

Quote Originally Posted by roger-wilco-66 View Post
    This thread is a torture and should be prototyped for a new entry in the Geneva Conventions.

:isadizzy:

Cheers,
    Mark

Ditto, Ditto, Ditto.

Quote Originally Posted by roger-wilco-66 View Post
    This thread is a torture and should be prototyped for a new entry in the Geneva Conventions.

:isadizzy:

Cheers,
    Mark
    That's a good one!
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Charter Member 2014 HighGround22's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stansdds View Post
    That's a good one!
    And exquisitely true -- alas! Sob!
    -Jon
    -------------
    If you try to fail,
    and you succeed,
    which have you done?

Guys instead of drooling over this future release you could also fly the very original model of Manfred's C-47.

Don't waste your time as life can be over before you enjoyed it!

Cheers,
    Huub

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    Guys instead of drooling over this future release you could also fly the very original model of Manfred's C-47.

Don't waste your time as life can be over before you enjoyed it!

Cheers,
    Huub
    That's what I do - have to make do until the new toys come along.

Blog Entries
    Hey guys...and ladies.

I'll check with MJ and see if it's ok for me to release the new bump and metal skin mods. That way you can upgrade the existing MJ C-47 while you're waiting for the new release. The delay couldn't be helped.

I've grounded my DAK fleet (kind of) until we get back on track.

Stay tuned.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Gman allowed me to test his files and to give you an idea what they do I took some screenies from my latest repaint (available now).

Here the repaint without Gman's mods:

And here the same repaint with Gman's mods:

Cheers,
    Huub

Thank you Hubb she's a beauty and will be flown a lot.:salute::salute::salute:

The pictures above didn't do full justice to gman's mods therefore another picture from a slightly differnt angle.

Cheers,
    Huub

As real as it gets!!!

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

Banned
    Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=TuFun;839572]
    As real as it gets!!!

Unless you happen to ride on one.

"KLM"

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zswobbie1 View Post
    By the way... what is the Vista variant? Bigger windows?

Not sure what you mean by the Vista variant but I think you may mean the Viewmaster. There were 2 variants of the Viewmaster, one being powered by the P&W engines and the other by the Wrights Cyclone engines.

P&W version

Wrights Cyclone version

You will also notice the difference in the windows. The P&W version has 7 windows and the Wrights version has 8 windows.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Some scans from a book I have on the DC-3. There are surprisingly many variants.

8 windows on Port side

8 on the starboard side

Other variants

Note the cockpit windows

Hope these don't give Manfred heart palpitations although I would love to see the Viewmaster and the Wrights powered 8 windows each side variant.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar
    Pat, what's the history behind the setair dc3? I'm very curious as i like that pic.

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/

Quote Originally Posted by TuFun View Post
    Are these beauties available for download anywhere?
    George "Alky®" Fisher

As usual it started life as an RAAF C-47. History is a little vague from there on but did serve with East West Airlines then with a company doing newspaper deliveries throughout NSW and Victoria. The SETAIR name stands for Scientific and Educational Tours.

Maybe some of the better painters out there will get the brushes out for us.

Cheers
    Pat

Actually, Pat, I painted VH-Min in an earlier paintscheme:

It's history is not that vague, I found this on the net:
    VH-MIN
    C/n 13459 Manufactured by Douglas Aircraft Corporation at Oklahoma City in Oklahoma and rolled off the production line on 29/5/1944. Aircraft was designated as a C-47A-25-DK. During the war years allocated the U.S. serial number 42-93536. On 4/6/1944 acquired by the Royal Air Force as Lend-Lease transport and redesignated as a Dakota III with the serial number KG647. Arrived in the United Kingdom after the ferry flight on 4/6/1944. Saw service with No 575 Squadron from 2/10/1944 and later with No 1680 Flight from 28/9/1945.
    On 3/4/1946 aircraft leased by British Overseas Airways Corporation which was based at Heathrow Airport in the United Kingdom and registered G-AIAZ during June 1946 for the term of the lease. Returned to the Royal Air Force on 31/7/1946 and reverted back to KG647 and placed in storage with No 22 Maintenance Unit at Silloth which is near the Scottish border in the United Kingdom.
    Struck off the British civil register on 18/10/1946 as it had been purchased by H C Purvis for the Sydney Morning Herald for Ł20,000 and initially registered VH-SMI. Of the two DC-3s purchased by the Sydney Morning Herald all that is known that were flown to Australia by H Purvis and a British pilot A R Lewis. It is not known who flew each aircraft.
    Departed the United Kingdom still in wartime camouflage with the Australian registration. On board this flight were about a dozen fare paying passengers. On 18/3/1953 it was struck off the civil register and placed in storage.
    Later purchased by the Bureau of Mineral Resources - Geology and Geophysics and delivered to them at Camden on 10/11/1953. On the same day this aircraft departed on the ferry flight to Essendon but approximately one hour after takeoff near Yass the starboard propeller became uncontrollable. Returned to Mascot where Trans Australia Airlines engineers changed the governor. Finally departed Mascot on the ferry flight to Essendon.
    On 17/12/1953 the registration of VH-MIN was requested for this aircraft. Later reregistered VH-MIN to the Bureau on 1/12/1954. Whilst with the Bureau of Mineral Resources aircraft was maintained and flown by Trans Australia Airlines. Known details of survey flights flown are listed below.
    12/1/1955 until 14/1/1955 radiation survey flights flown over south west Tasmania and King Island. Total distance flown was 625 kilometres.
    1/2/1955 until 15/3/1955 this aircraft flew radiation survey flights in the Broken Hill area. Total distance flown during these flights was 7,696 kilometres.
    12/9/1955 until 31/10/1955 radiation survey flights were flown in the Chillagoe - Einasleigh Gilberton region. Total distance flown during these flights was 17,840 kilometres.
    3/10/1955 until 4/10/1955 radiation survey flights flown between Cloncurry and Mt. Isa. Total distance flown was 1000 kilometres.
    On 18/5/1972 ferried to Tamworth and placed in storage. Sold to K Singh of Tamworth and registered to the owner on 6/7/1972. When this aircraft was disposed of in July 1972 to K Singh, it was brought to the attention of the Department of Civil Aviation that a requirement of the tender was that this aircraft had to be exported or broken up for scrap.
    The highest tender of $11,500 was received from Gulf Enterprises P/L, which was based at Lae. The intention of this company was to utilise this aircraft in the carriage of prawns between Daru and Cairns. The Department of Supply did not accept the tender, as the company was not able to meet any of the criteria of the conditions of sale under which this aircraft was being sold.
    After further discussions the Department of Supply was persuaded to reluctantly sell the aircraft to the next highest tender of $8,555 which was offered by K Singh. Resold to Helicopter Utilities P/L of Mascot and registered to the company on 20/7/1972. Resold to Airfast Helicopter Utilities P/L and registered to the company on 17/10/1972.
    This legal haggling continued until purchased by Connair P/L on 30/7/1974 and registered to the company on 1/8/1974. Later saw service with Northern Airlines (Operations)Ltd, which was the name of the newly formed company when East-West Airlines took over Connair and registered to the company on 18/6/1980. In June 1980 withdrawn from service and placed in storage at Alice Springs pending its sale to Setair P/L and registered to the company on 5/2/1981.
    Sold to Rebel Air P/L, which was based at Sydney and registered to the company on 11/8/1983. Whilst in service with company used for charter flights. Sold to Wan-See Co P/L trading as Rebel Air and registered to the company on 1/2/1984. On 3/2/1984 it was struck off the civil register whilst it underwent a major inspection of the airframe. Reinstated to the civil register on 24/2/1984 to the company.
    Sold to D Johnstone of Colbinra Transport P/L trading as Komeela Aviation, which was based at Maitland in the Hunter Valley and registered to the company on 8/12/1988. Komeela is an aboriginal word, which denotes the act of flying. Whilst with the company it would provide tourist flights, group, business and VIP charters, freight services as well as search and rescue flights.
    Sold to South Pacific Airmotive in May 1994 and registered to the company on 10/6/1994. Delivered to the company during September 1994. Whilst in service with company aircraft was operated as a freighter. Sold to Dakota National Air (Australia) P/L of Bankstown and registered to the company on 1/5/1998.
    During the final days of February 2004 the Administrators Hall Chadwick, which was based in Sydney advertised Dakota National Air trading as Discovery Air Tours for urgent sale or an investment opportunity in the nation's media. Still in service with the company in August 2005.
    She is no longer airworthy at the moment I believe.
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Members +
    Thanks so much, yes, I did mean Viewmaster. I did not realise just how many variations of the Dak there are. Thanks for the info, models & the hope & wish for a tri-turbo! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Alky6 View Post
    Are these beauties available for download anywhere?
    All repaints are done by Huub and are here at SOH library. Search for KLM C-47

Quote Originally Posted by AussieMan View Post

Note the cockpit windows
    JFC, how unbelievably ugly! Why would someone do that?!? :isadizzy:

Quote Originally Posted by TuFun View Post
    All repaints are done by Huub and are here at SOH library. Search for KLM C-47
    Thanx, I found and downloaded the PH-DAT, but can't find the other two. I especially like the PH-PBA. :mixedsmi:
    George "Alky®" Fisher

Members who have read this thread: 157