No terrain data loading

Thread: No terrain data loading

SOH-CM-2023
    Blog Entries

No terrain data loading

Since yesterday, the loading of Free Flights fails because the terrain data cannot be loaded. Each time, after the scenery object data have been loaded, the loading of the flight stops, always at 6% of the loading process. I tried several flights in different geographical locations and deleted the FSX.cfg file, but to no avail. I can access the scenery library.<o></o>
    A cause may be that there was a power failure in my neighbourhood when I was defragging the hard disk with UltimateDefrag. When I discovered that defragging had stopped I started defragging anew. Perhaps an FSX file was damaged? I also cannot find the most recent restore point (I am 99% sure I made one last month).<o></o>
    Does anyone have any ideas how to get FSX going again, short of a complete re-install? For example; is there a specific file that manages the terrain data loading process that I could replace? I did not yet dare to try the repair function on FSX <st1:stockticker>DVD</st1:stockticker> 1.<o></o>
    <o></o>
    Thanks in advance for any sensible suggestion!<o></o>
    <o></o>
    Stickshaker<o></o>

You can try with clean scenery.cfg. Delete old one from the ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX, start the sim and let FSX build a new default one. This cleans all your scenery library insertions, so you have to add your addon scenery after that to the library.

SOH-CM-2023
    Blog Entries
    Hello Grunt,<o></o>
    <o></o>
    Thank you for your idea, which seemed very sensible to me. Unfortunately it did not have any effect. Nothing at all changed. Does this give anyone new ideas for a solution? By the way: if I pres the Esc key I get the same menu that you get during a flight. When I choose ‘end flight’ I get a CTD but when I press the FSX icon I get the message that FSX is already running, although nothing is to be seen except the desktop, and in the Task Manager FSX is not listed.

SOH-CM-2023
    Blog Entries
    I just discovered that FSX did not make a new scenery file. I deleted the file from user/applicationdata/roaming/Microsoft/FSX, where also the FSX.cfg file is residing (I deleted that one and indeed FSX made a new FSX.cfg file). After having started FSX a second time there still is no new scenery file. Also there is still the problem that even if I shut down FSX in the correct way without having flown when I try to restart it I get the message that FSX is already running.

SOH-CM-2023
    Blog Entries
    FSX works again. It turned out the scenery FTX England was corrupted. If that happens to you: use the tool ‘Flush scenery indices’ in FTX Central, that solves the problem that the terrain cannot be loaded, and then uninstall and re-install the offending scenery. There may be other ways to delete scenery indices, but this worked for me.<o></o>
    <o></o>
    Grunt, thank you for your help. Your advice pointed me in the direction to the eventual solution.<o></o>
    <o></o>
    Best regards,<o></o>
    <o></o>
    Stickshaker