FSSound.dll problems

Thread: FSSound.dll problems

Charter Member 2016

FSSound.dll problems

FSSound.dll is failing to load in my copy of FS9.1. I have made the usual edits to the FS9.cfg, but still the problem remains. Help me figure this out!
    "Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life." - 2 Nephi 31:20

Mormon.org

Just to rule out the obvious, does your config entry look like this:

[OldModules]
    FSSound.dll=1

And is there a functioning copy of the FSSound.dll in your modules folder?

If the answer to both is yes, then I got nothing.

Charter Member 2016
    Yes and Yes... hence the reason for the post. It is a little mystifying, isn't it?
    "Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life." - 2 Nephi 31:20

Mormon.org

Yes it is, I'm sorry I can't be of more help. I hope someone else can provide some more insight. I'm always curious to see how these sorts of glitches can be fixed in case I ever suffer the same issue.

I was suffering from the same issue; at one time, I thought I had made the changes to the FS9.cfg file.

When I just checked the .cfg file the lines for the [OLD_MODULES] and the FSSound.dll were missing!

So, I made the changes, saved the file, started the Sim and voila! No more message!

Looks like you did that and you're still having the problem; I think mine was caused when I updated to 9.1!

These danged computers... Attachment 91717

Quote Originally Posted by pfflyers View Post
    Just to rule out the obvious, does your config entry look like this:

[OldModules]
    FSSound.dll=1

And is there a functioning copy of the FSSound.dll in your modules folder?

If the answer to both is yes, then I got nothing.
    Couple of thoughts:

1) Is your FS9.cfg entry typed exactly the same as above (i.e. no spaces etc)?
    2) Try replacing the FSSound.dll itself with a fresh copy, maybe your one has been damaged.

Hope you get it sorted, it's an annoying little fault. :-(
    Andy

Hi,

I was having the same problem and was interested to read through your post, and hadn't thought anything about the cfg as it had always been there, but when I finally looked at the FS9 cfg, that little section had disappeared ! Weird.

At first I typed that little bit using all CAPITALS as shown in viperflyers post, but that didn't work for me and I did it using upper and lowercase as shown in pfflyers post.
    I made sure the little section was posted at the end of a segment, somewhere in the middle of the cfg, although I don't suppose that means anything. It seems to work now and so good luck with yours.

Andy

Charter Member 2016
    I'm not sure what was up, really, but I've got it working now. I had to try various versions of fssound.dll, though. I downloaded three different ones from FS sites - and one from a dll site! They weighed in at variously 5 kbs, 11 kbs, 15 kbs, and 255 kbs... I tried them all. I'm curious as to know why the 11 Kbs version didn't work for me. That's the version I used in my last install of FS - and what I used in this install up until this week - but even replacing that with a newly downloaded copy didn't fix the problem. I ended up using the 5 Kbs version...

Mormon.org

This happened with another user here a few months ago. Somehow the FSSound.dll file got corrupted. Replacing the file fixed the issue.
    ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

mines gone too

I checked my FS9 cfg file and there are no lines that says "old modules FFsound dll" or even just sound dll.
    I do have a 'sound dll in the FS9 main folder and also one in my modules folder ,that one may be part of FSUIPC .
    I copied the line 'Old modules FFsound dll" from pfflyers post and put it in the FS9 cfg folder but I don't think that's a working dll and doesn't do anything.
    I better quit because as the old adage says "if it ain't broke don't fix it" and my FS9 install works fine(knock on wood)

I checked the one in my Modules folder, and it carries version number 1.5.0.0 and weighs in at 13.0 KB. The dll that sits in the main folder in most installs is GaugeSound.dll, which does not require an entry in the cfg file.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Hi,

The cfg is quirky! The GaugeSound.dll which has happily lived wherever it does until a few weeks ago when it started showing up as a box you have to click to get FS to start. I just added it to the oldModules section and now my FS9 starts without any pop-ups. I hope I haven't spoken too soon.

Andy.

checked my modules folder

I looked at the sound dll in my modules folder and it says it's version 9.10 40901 and is 72GB.I still think it's part of FSUIPC ,I don't understand why my FS9 install runs fine ,all sliders maxed and no stuttering.
    I have had that error message come up in the past ,and put the gauge Sound file dll in the main fs9 folder and that fixed it.
    I'll never understand computer's.

Members who have read this thread: 1