Warhawk - Page 6
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Warhawk

Hello Ivan,
    Iīm not able to contribute much here because the technical info is rather high level, but you seem to have achieved quite a good CFS1 approximation!
    Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp

Hello Aleatorylamp,

Regarding Flight Models, usually I get the match much closer than this.
    I am not really expecting responses here or suggestions.
    I am just documenting some changes to an aeroplane project.
    These Technical Descriptions during a build tend to be mostly monologues which is fine.

This isn't really all that high level. You needed the same information on your builds so you should be pretty familiar with it.

- Ivan.

Merlin Performance

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
    My version of the P-40F is now getting the following:
    319 MPH at 500 feet with 1252 HP. (Take-Off and WEP is 1300 HP, Military is 1240 HP.)
    369 MPH at 12,500 feet with 1394 HP. (A bit too high. There should be a Supercharger Gear Shift here.)
    369 MPH at 15,000 feet with 1295 HP. (High Speed Supercharger should not be peaking until much higher.)
    358 MPH at 20,000 feet with 1052 HP. (Not quite enough HP and slightly low speed here.)

My testing protocol was to record a speed as maximum if it did not increase in 15-20 seconds.
    If testing allowed more time for speeds to stabilise, the numbers would be 1-2 MPH higher but then again, I am doing this with an autopilot which is not available on the actual aeroplanes.

This isn't a great match but I believe it fairly reasonable for what can be done in CFS.

Next comes the Climb and Service Ceiling tests.....
    The Merlin Warhawk got some more tuning this morning.
    Mostly it was to adjust the Service Ceiling a bit higher than the 32,000 feet I was getting originally.

The new numbers are as follows
    318 MPH at 500 feet with 1252 HP.
    368 MPH at 12,500 feet with 1388 HP. (Still A Bit Too High.)
    373 MPH at 15,000 feet with 1344 HP.
    371 MPH at 17,500 feet with 1221 HP.
    367 MPH at 20,000 feet with 1102 HP. (This is about where I wanted it to be.)

Maximum Climb is 2790 feet/minute at 7,000 feet.
    This is about 300 feet/minute higher than the target but there is a lot more power at medium altitudes than there should be because there is no blower shift point.

Service Ceiling is 34,100 feet which is about where it should be but absolute ceiling is barely over 34,200 feet.
    This was done by autopilot and the aeroplane is very unstable above 32,000 feet so the service ceiling when flown without autopilot should be a lot lower.

In my opinion, this is probably very near the target performance. It can certainly be tuned a bit more but the differences would not be very meaningful.

- Ivan.

Merlin Radiator

I believe this post was lost with the recent crash:

The Merlin Warhawk's textures were also adjusted a bit especially around the Radiator and Oil Coolers.
    At this point, the aeroplane really needs a more appropriate paint scheme. I doubt any Merlin Warhawks ever carried Chinese Nationalist insignia.

- Ivan.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails F-UndersideTextures.jpg   F-NewRadiators.jpg   F-NeedsNewPaint.jpg  

United States Army Air Forces

Recent changes to the Merlin Warhawk have been to begin the SCASM process in order to use BMP textures which accept more tools for editing.

After doing the initial SCASM conversion, I found that the Carb Intake appeared a bit small, so that was also increased in size followed by another SCASM treatment followed by another model edit followed by.... (You get the picture...)

The USAAF paint scheme for the Merlin Warhawk was updated over the last few days which was a lot easier to do using PCX and BMP textures. There is one more paint scheme in the works and that one will be a bit more complicated.

There are quite a few things left to complete:
    Completion of the SCASM process
    A new Control Panel
    Checklist
    Performance Testing and Documentation.

- Ivan.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails F-BiggerCarb.jpg   F-USArmy1.jpg   F-USArmy2.jpg   F-USArmy3.jpg   F-USArmy4.jpg  

Last night, the Interior Views were corrected.
    What remains now for SCASM is just to adjust the animations.
    No point in posting screenshots since nothing changed from an exterior view.

The process taken with the Merlin Warhawk seems to be pretty good. It is still based on least commitment but allows a choice of tasks to make progress without forcing a single course of action.

- Ivan.

Hello Ivan,
    It is certainly turning out beautifully clean and accurate!
    Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp

New Instrumentl Panel

The last couple of days has been spent working on a better looking Instrument Panel for the Warhawk.

I had been using a slightly modified stock P-51D Panel up to this point.
    Although the panel is functional, the appearance has never been quite right.
    I do not believe it is possible to get both functionality and appearance in a good Panel for CFS for some aircraft.
    The biggest issue is that the various instruments and controls are distributed in many locations in the cockpit but typical CFS aeroplanes only have a Main Instrument Panel and an Engine Control Panel.
    Many instruments also do not have an equivalent in the stock gauges and some do not make sense to include.

This Control Panel is based on the background for the stock Spitfire Mk.IX with instruments selected based on functionality and appearance.

Here are a few characteristics I know are incorrect and likely will remain so:

1. The Fuel Selector does not look like the one here and is not in this location on the real aircraft.
    2. There is a Suction / Vacuum Gauge that has not been included.
    3. The Magneto and Starter Switch are not on the upper / visible part of the panel on the actual aircraft.
    4. There is no Trim Gauge on the control panel.
    5. The Clock is located where the Compass would have been and the location of the Clock is taken by the Magneto Switch.
    6. There is no Landing Gear Warning Light. I could not find an equivalent in the stock gauges.
    7. The Panel Background colouring is not as good a match as I would like. Perhaps this can be fixed....

- Ivan.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails F-NewControlPanel.jpg  

Updated Control Panel

Here is an updated version of the Warhawk Control Panel with Gauge sizes and locations modified slightly and a heavily edited Background. Only stock Gauges are used at this point. The Canopy Frame colour is a best try at this point and perhaps will yet be modified in the future.

I believe that at this point, it is a pretty good combination of functionality and appearance.
    Note that for appearance, most of the Gauges came from the P-47D.

Next step is to make some changes to the panel for Test Flying....

- Ivan.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails F-ControlPanel.jpg  

Hello Ivan,
    Wonderful! Apart from the useful looking layout, I really like the Curtiss sign.
    Aleatorylamp

Hello Aleatorylamp,

In reality, there probably was no "Curtiss" signature in that location.
    We don't really know because where I put it is the sheet metal UNDER the actual Black Control Panel and that area would normally be hidden under the Gun Sight.
    The Spitfire Gun Sight is much smaller so there is the space underneath.

I also believe this is pretty good balance between functionality and authentic appearance.
    There are actually lots of little missing things such as Coolant Warning Lights, and a bunch of little things added,
    The tag "FUEL" should really read "FUEL SIG." for fuel signal but I could not keep the size of lettering if I added a S or G.
    The only change I am still contemplating is increasing the size of the Artificial Horizon.

I believe this will be used in future versions of the P-40 and possibly even retrofitted back to the P-40E as an update.

- Ivan.

Desert Paint

The Technicians in the Paint Booth have been busy over the last few days.
    Last night was a marathon session where the Camouflage was matched up between various pieces of the Aeroplane.

This may not be the best way to do it, but essentially the painters have to paint each piece before it is fitted to the Aeroplane and when there is a mismatch as there usually is, the piece is removed to be repainted and reassembled.

This result is actually pretty close to the typical Desert scheme used by the RAF and USAAF though I have taken a few liberties which I believe improve the appearance.
    Other personal and unit insignia still need to be applied.

- Ivan.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails F-Desert3.jpg   F-Desert2.jpg   F-Desert1.jpg   F-DesertBasePaint2.jpg  

Hello Ivan,
    Nicely fitting camo patterns! I feel they always give a very professional look.
    As regards names on the instrument panel, I also like putting them in, just to add a bit of ambience, even if on the real aircraft they werenīt there or as visible.
    Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp

The first paint scheme was a Generic US Army Olive over Neutral Gray.
    The second scheme was US Army Desert Sand and Dark Earth over Sky (Gray)
    The third and final scheme which I just finished is RAF Desert Sand and Dark Earth over Sky (Gray).

The RAF Desert scheme is actually the hardest because there were so many little changes over time and it is quite possible to get a combination that could never have happened.

There were a few others, but I think this combination should be good enough for release.
    Should I release just one version with all three schemes or two versions with contrasting schemes as I did with the P-40C?
    I am tending towards two.....

- Ivan.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails F-RAFDesert1.jpg   F-RAFDesert2.jpg   F-RAFDesert3.jpg   F-RAFDesert4.jpg  

There are a couple parts of the camouflage pattern that are questionable.
    Some are intentional and done under artistic license.

ONE section is pretty close to the painting guide for P-40 models:
    The port side of the Tail under the Horizontal Stab clearly shows as Dark Earth, but....
    in photographs, This shape appears to resemble a dark shadow rather than dark paint.

The Wing Root and Fillet on the starboard side should also have the dark pattern moved forward a bit.

- Ivan.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails F-RAFDesert2.jpg  

SOH Staff
    beautiful, Ivan, simply beautiful.
    well done.

as for uploading number preference,
    it's your call, sir.
    sometimes the magic works.
    sometimes it doesn't.

Hello Ivan,
    Very good this 3rd. texture of yours with the Pegasus detail - Definitely upload that one!
    If one were forced to choose between the other two, it would be very difficult, because both have their advantages: Well done camo versions always look striking, and are rarer on models than plain coloured ones for their texturing difficulty. Dark, plain-coloured versions I feel have a no-nonsense atmosphere to them which is also appealing.
    I know what I would do (all 3!), but itīs your creation... So, as Smilo says... itīs your call!
    Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp

Thanks Smilo.

Glad you approve. I am also a bit surprised at how nice the Merlin version looks.
    Although I had not planned it that way, it still appears to be quite agile and performance appears to be very good.

Thanks also, Aleatorylamp,

The plan was actually to do something pretty similar to what I did earlier with the Hawk 81s.
    There were two uploads even though they were basically the same project; One would have the Green US Army paint scheme set up as default and the other would have the RAF Desert paint scheme as default. Both would have all three textures included.

I don't think the USAAF Desert scheme looks too bad either.
    Note that the US Army Desert paint scheme had a LOT of variations with some seriously strange combinations such as Pink overall.

I was also debating on doing a CheckerTail, Shark Mouth 112 Squadron, or Monochrome Tan as was originally used.
    There are also at least two Camouflage patterns used in the desert.
    For now, I am staying generic.

- Ivan.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails F-USArmyDesert1.jpg   F-USArmyDesert2.jpg   F-USArmyDesert3.jpg  

Hello Hubbabubba,

I just finished uploading the Merlin Warhawk that you suggested back in Post #31 a while back.
    Hopefully this meets your expectations.
    It is certainly a bit more than just leaving the Carburetor Scoop off a regular Allison P-40.

My technicians are waiting for the upload to be approved before sweeping up the metal scraps from the workshop.

Although I like the RAF paint scheme, the reality is that very few P-40Fs actually served with the RAF.
    Some were also used by the French and sent to Russia of all places.

- Ivan.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hawk87D-USArmyPortrait.jpg   Hawk87D-RAFPortrait.jpg  

Hello Ivan,
    Iīve just downloaded and tried out your new plane!
    Definitely a very beautiful job, and exciting and precise to fly.
    Very nice!
    Thanks!
    Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp

Thanks Aleatorylamp,

I like the result of this project also.
    It still has the nice handling of the prior versions of the Warhawk despite the extra 300 pounds of weight.

The climb rate is actually a bit higher than the Allison versions in my models, but that isn't proof of anything since my flight modelling is not necessarily accurate.

The odd thing that I believe I found is that down low, the Merlin Warhawk was a bit slower than a contemporary Allison even though the Merlin would have more power. Perhaps it is because of restrictions on power settings, but to create this effect, I had to turn up the Drag Coefficient quite a bit. This would imply that the bigger radiator scoop caused a LOT more drag.

So now the Workshop is officially clear. I think the technicians are actually working on tools to make the next project easier.

- Ivan.

Hello Ivan,

Given the limitations in the .air file for the two different turbo superchargers for the Allison and Merlin engines, itīs most probably as good as it gets.

Currently, and for a totally different era and performance envelope, Iīm tweaking the two different Benz Bz.III (165 hp) and Bz.IV (230 hp) engines performances on the Albatros G.II and G.III (1916 and 1917) that I want to upload as soon as possible, to clear my own workshop and see whatīs on otherwise.

Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp

Hello Aleatorylamp,

Yes, As far as I know, there are limitations on SUPERchargers are handled in CFS.
    Neither the Allison nor the Merlin as installed in the P-40s ever had a TURBOcharger.
    The Allison installation in the P-38 Lightning did have a Turbocharger and differences in plumbing are pretty serious.

Next step in the evolutionary process of my P-40s is going to be a revisit of the P-40E Warhawk to correct the not so obvious bleed problem in the Cowl area and to remap a couple textures that might be located less than optimally.

The underside behind the Cowl also needs an examination for faults as I found in the Merlin Warhawk.
    I don't know for sure that there are any that were not caused by the numerous changes for the Merlin installation though.

It seems almost a shame to chop up such a nice looking Warhawk to correct a few things that are barely visible under a directed examination, but that is what I need to do to have a solid basis for any follow-ons because any errors will be propagated forward.
    What I hate the most about this is the need to go through the SCASM adjustment process again.

On the next release, the P-40E will also have a RAF Desert texture available because with just a minor exception, just about everything maps the same between the P-40E and P-40F.

- Ivan.

Hello Ivan,
    Sorry, yes... I meant just superchargers - the word "turbo" keeps slipping in as in my mind SUPERchargers ARE a kind of turbine, with vanes like a pump, or helicoidal or whatever, even though they arenīt driven by an exhaust-turbo, but by a belt or gears...
    ...I MUST get into the habit of calling things correctly!

Re: Re-visiting models: I was just thinking... I find re-visiting a model for alterations or upgrading after some years does indeed have its nice aspects. With the familiarity on one hand, and the added experience on the other, with perhaps additional data available, the result is usually quite successful and often includes the satisfaction of improvements or corrections that werenīt planned or expected.

Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp

I must say that the models look good!
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.