What is this

Thread: What is this

What is this

Thought I would try my hand at making scenery. Much to learn. Here is an attempt at an airfield. Far from complete, but getting there.

A little more on this airfield. Abbeville France. WW2 during the German occupation. Found some pictures and drawings.

Looking good! Fellas we got another one heading down the "River of no Return."

RD

Blog Entries
    Looking good Robert.....
    Feel free to ask for advice here....Many of us here who work with scenery will be happy to help.....
    BUT....Use caution.....It Get addicting......:mix-smi:

Quote Originally Posted by trucker17 View Post
    Looking good Robert.....
    Feel free to ask for advice here....Many of us here who work with scenery will be happy to help.....
    BUT....Use caution.....It Get addicting......:mix-smi:
    Well, you ought to know....

RD

Thanks guys. Always could use help.

Quote Originally Posted by robert41 View Post
    Thanks guys. Always could use help.
    What is your goal? Quality level? Expectations?

First off, nice work so far.
    If it were me, what I would do, is create a photoreal file (good data available) for the existing airport, which still shows where the main runways were in your design. Then take the photoreal into photoshop and overlay the design you have or the drawings to edit the photoreal to show just the old design and eliminate any houses or modern things on the photoreal. It would be a little bit of photoshop work since there are plenty of modern roads and houses around, but it is doable and would be much better than the basic grass FSX airport background. Once that is done, resample and place the .BGL in FSX, then use that as your background for the AFCAD work you have and work from there. Just a suggestion if it were me.
    Best, Michael

Thanks Michael. Much appreciated advice. My goal is to make this airfield, reasonable, to what it was in 1941 or 42. Definitely not in the same class as Orbx.

Understood, but really the main difference between ORBX quality and non is mostly texturing of models and the lots of little things like the flows and 3D grass. I always take into account the area around the airfield also since you will be going over it time and time again.

What do you plan to have based there virtually? I know the british had Gladiators and Hurricanes based there in 1940, but after that it was a big hub for the germans

Do you use SBuilderX? If not, I can try and rearrange some landclass to give you a better background for your AFCAD since the area as it stands in FSX is rather busy and modern.
    Best, Michael

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rdaniell View Post
    Well, you ought to know....

RD

Yeah....I know....But I still take time to enjoy the fruits of my labor....As well as everyone else's.....

Quote Originally Posted by MCDesigns View Post
    Understood, but really the main difference between ORBX quality and non is mostly texturing of models and the lots of little things like the flows and 3D grass. I always take into account the area around the airfield also since you will be going over it time and time again.

What do you plan to have based there virtually? I know the british had Gladiators and Hurricanes based there in 1940, but after that it was a big hub for the germans

Do you use SBuilderX? If not, I can try and rearrange some landclass to give you a better background for your AFCAD since the area as it stands in FSX is rather busy and modern.

At this point, Iam planning on using default objects such as buildings, vehicles, ect. Or if I can find some period correct objects.
    No on SBuilderX. If you could make some changes to the landclass, that would be great.

Blog Entries
    Here are 3 Places for WWII era Vehicles and buildings........Each are very nice additions.....

Bill Womack......
    http://www.ianpsdarkcorner.co.uk/node/89

Ian P.
    http://www.ianpsdarkcorner.co.uk/node/51

Ted Andrews.
    http://www.ianpsdarkcorner.co.uk/node/39

Robert, I admire your courage! The first results already look promising.

Cheers,
    Huub

Thanks Craig. I have those with Ian P's scenery.

Thanks Huub. Finding some very detailed information is the key.

Quote Originally Posted by robert41 View Post
    At this point, Iam planning on using default objects such as buildings, vehicles, ect. Or if I can find some period correct objects.
    No on SBuilderX. If you could make some changes to the landclass, that would be great.
    Done deal, will make it more 1945 by removing the modern things, the roads/buildings and change the landclass. I'll PM you when done.
    I think I also have some low poly german aircraft models on the HD somewhere if you are interested in some statics
    Best, Michael

That would be great. Thanks Michael.

Small update

Now that the leaves have turned color, do you prefer the year round grass or not?

Members who have read this thread: 0