Purchase a plane for a paint?

View Poll Results: Have you bought a plane because of a paint?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yep.

27 50.94%
  • Nope. Are you nuts?

26 49.06%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Purchase a plane for a paint?

Purchase a plane for a paint?

I did this recently, so I was wondering if I'm alone. How many of you have purchased a payware plane because of a third-party paint that was released for it?
    --Brian

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.

Good thread..should spark interest for some payware devs to develop more user friendly paint kits.... Vertigo, ya listening?
    VFR Simulations
    www.vfrsim.com

I don't think you are nuts, but can't imagine ever buying a plane or heli because of a paintjob. Now detail in the textures does sway me at times. For instance looking at the new P-40, the weathering and chipped paint around the canopy and the 3D bolts are something I really like.

as for paintkits, yeah it's really great to have one, but if you know what you are doing, you don't need one.
    Best, Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Killbilly View Post
    I did this recently, so I was wondering if I'm alone. How many of you have purchased a payware plane because of a third-party paint that was released for it?
    Did that happen to be the Civilian Mustang paint that "deepdiver" did recently? I made the observation in that thread that I would almost purchase the airplane just to get the livery. I didn't (already have too many Mustangs), but it was tempting.:salute:
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

I have ALWAYs said that in the area of the free ware....paints will get me flying more of them. As to payware.......yes....I have purchased aircraft once I've seen "better" skins put out that exceed those of the developer. I have always wondered why most dev's don't enlist some of these talented people or aren't "in the fold" when a plane is being developed in order top put out a plane with top notch paints with it.

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    Did that happen to be the Civilian Mustang paint that "deepdiver" did recently? I made the observation in that thread that I would almost purchase the airplane just to get the livery. I didn't (already have too many Mustangs), but it was tempting.:salute:
    No, it was the Carenado C90 because of the brilliant new paint by Jan Kees. I'd been on the fence about that bird until his skin put me over the edge. However, I did see that paint for the Civ. Mustang (which I already owned) previewed. Stunning. Did he release it? If so, where?
    --Brian

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.

Goes both ways, I guess.

I've NOT bought an addon because the developer never provided a US registry paint and/or no one ever made one.
    Yes, I mostly fly in the US and like my aircraft stamped as such. :salute: :USA-flag:

EDIT: And before someone jumps all over me, yes I do make exceptions.
    Can't pass up de Havilland products, as an example.

Blog Entries
    Had to think about that one for a minute. Honestly I've got to say that most of my payware was purchased for the VC and modeling...paints are always secondary. The Milviz P-38 was one of the few payware I felt inclined to really take on, just because my wife's dad flew that aircraft in the Pacific.

I get much more satisfaction from taking a basic freeware and taking it to a much higher level...as was the case with the Douglas C-117D. This was a exemplary release and I was immediately drawn to it.

When these gems pop up I can't wait to get them into Photoshop, then hand them back out to the community. I'm sure it's the same for the other awesome painters on this site.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

I can understand it. I would have bought a Mustang to get the Brat III paint just because I live near it's real home. I already had the airplane so it wasn't an issue, but with a different airplane and paint scheme - it would be a possibility.

Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by Killbilly View Post
    No, it was the Carenado C90 because of the brilliant new paint by Jan Kees. I'd been on the fence about that bird until his skin put me over the edge.
    HAH! me too
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

I did this, when some Hawk repaints were posted in this forum.

The paints were not made generally available.

Dave

If it doesn't fit into my portfolio, won't even download a freeware plane for just a paint.

Blog Entries
    I have done this myself.....I bought the pby so I could do it up in the paint of my friends pby......I also made a custom paint that he has requested.....
    We have used it to see how different paints would look on the aircraft.....

Can't say I bought a payware aircraft solely for the paint job, but I did by FSX because there were aircraft and sceneries - both payware and free - that weren't available to FS2004. But it's a double-edged sword. I find there's a lot more scenery for Canada, especially Ontario - my home base - in FS9 than there is in FSX, and if I were to invest money in say, Ultimate Terrain Canada for FSX, there still wouldn't be enough individual freeware add-on's to justify it, so I'm focusing on flying in he US, which has a plethora of freeware small airports to enjoy, and New Zealand, for it's incomparable scenery, as well as purchasing aircraft that I really want as judiciously as I can...

N.

I can't recall I ever purchased an model for a third party repaint. But I can recall some models which I purchased because of the repaint possibilities.

Cheers,
    Huub

I have a hard time even buying planes for the flight sim. I can't seem to justify spending money on something that isn't even tangible, let alone, just for a repaint...

Absolutely not. Buying a aircraft for paint availability does not happen in my case.
    In fact, the more paints that are released/announced for any given plane (for me) causes a loss of interest all together.

I purchased A2A's F4U because of Jankees repaint. I loved the paint job. Really hate the FDEs.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Domingue View Post
    I purchased A2A's F4U because of Jankees repaint. I loved the paint job. Really hate the FDEs.
    Well, that will change here shortly
    VFR Simulations
    www.vfrsim.com

Quote Originally Posted by fsxar177 View Post
    Well, that will change here shortly
    My ears just perked up!

If I purchase a plane, the balance between different elements must be good. I would never buy on external appearance alone!

On the other hand, I have kept some freeware aircraft in the hangar because they are so attractive!

Owen.

SOH-CM-2024
    I have never purchased a payware plane for its markings, but I will not purchase a payware plane that does not include a layered Paint Kit, should be mandatory on all payware.

Caz

Yeh, I bought the P51 Civi for a couple of the repaints. If I hadn't bought it then, I'd buy it now just for upcoming 'Black Magic' paint ;-)
    If you know the avatar, you know the man!
    M/B: Asus Z170 Deluxe - CPU: i7 6700k - RAM: 16Gb Corsair DDR4 3200mhz - Vid: Asus GTX970
    Windows 10 (x64) on M.2 SSD - FS Software on: Sata SSD

oh dear, you're making me feel guilty and proud at the same time. I am glad (and proud) that you like my paints so much that you are willing to part with your hard-earned cash, but feel bad that a) I 'force' you to buy things that you otherwise wouldn't have bought; and b) you are sometimes not happy with it...but what can I do?
    As for me, no, I've never bought something for the paints that were available, but yes, I have bought things for the repaint potential. On the other hand, I have also not bought things for the lack of the latter...

But thank you for the compliments!
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

I've never bought an FS aircraft purely for one repaint, but like others have said, I have for repaint potential, or if I know there are a lot of quality repaints available.

Whilst not a repainter myself, I agree with fsxar177 about paintkits being as clear and user friendly, as possible, and the same goes for the texture mapping!

So with that said, I believe that developers can and do get potential sales from the number of repaints available, and their products potential (ease) for repainting.

Cheers

Paul

Members who have read this thread: 0