ORBX Global Released [Payware] - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: ORBX Global Released [Payware]

Quote Originally Posted by ncooper View Post
    ...Photoscenery, as NL 2000 is, takes priority over generated scenery, it is therefore
    not possible to merge FTX Global with NL 2000...
    Merging is not possible, quite right, but FTXG textures would be seen outside NL2000 at the borders. We just hope the transition from NL2000 to FTXG will be smooth, and maybe almost invisible.

Here is a screenshot taken at EDLV with NL2000 and default FSX at the border of Germany (springtime 12:00pm 10.000ft no UTX no weather clear sky...). As you can see transition is very visible (with NL2000 left and FSX default right).

I was really hopping somebody would take the same shot with FTXG instead of default FSX, just to understand what to expect... before shelling out $94 CAD...

regards,
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Stan V. View Post
    Jan,

I read a recent post by John Venema over on the Orbx Forum to the effect that the NL2000 (freeware) scenery for the Netherlands was of sufficient quality that Orbx does not have any intention to produce a competitive payware Region version. You, of course, are showcasing here the FTX Global texture product which was just released. My question to you is did you have the underlying NL2000 sceneries installed when you made your screenshots above and if so, how did you have them layered relative to the FTX Global scenery in the scenery.cfg file?

Stan V
    Hi Stan,

While i do have the photoreal NL2000 scenery and used it with my older system i never got round installing it on my current system. So what you see in my Holland screenies is FTXGlobal + UTX Europe (roads unchecked).

Pity about Orbx not doing a Region version for the Netherlands. We can use either NL2000 or FTXG, not both. I used to love photoreal sceneries like NL2K and UK VFR but imho you can't beat autogen, certainly not in the way Orbx applies it.

Cheers,
    Jan

Tuscon, Arizona

Attachment 91258Attachment 91259Attachment 91257Attachment 91260Attachment 91261Attachment 91262

Terrain seems to merge well in this area, mostly. Some random golf course tiles that need work. I brightened the screenshots one notch as it was a dusk flight. The last shot is an overhead of Marana, just outside of Tuscon.

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    Thanks for the safe flight Captain Jan!
    Your welcome, Huub. :salute:

I had great fun flying over photoreal Holland when i had NL2K installed a couple years ago. These guys did a magnificent job, certainly because it's free and all. If Orbx wouldn't have come up with FTXGlobal i would've installed it again. Same with UK VFR, enjoyed that tremendously, but now replaced by FTX England/Wales/Scotland. Flying low and slow autogen is the bees' knees in my FS book.

cheers,
    Jan

Aah, Jan, the Dutch specialty Broodje Kaas. Thanks for that, and for the pics.

Cheers, Rob
    Dutch National Aviation Theme Park and Museum.
    No DC3 without the DC2

Would someone post pics of the area around KLTS east to KLAW? GEX doesnt have the right textures as the Wichita Mountains are mostly rock and not the typical vegetated type. I'd like to see how well they did it before I fork over the money.

Thanks in advance!

-Jeff
    I pass gas!

Sorry I'm not a screenshot artist... Leaving KLTS (Altus AFB, Oklahoma)

Around KLAW (Lawton, OK)

The Wichita Mountains close to 85OL (Husher Field, OK)

It's (I think) very important to defrag the FSX disk before installing FTXG, same after installation.

Before installing I removed all my addons (freeware and payware aircrafts and sceneries), leaving only all basic FSX files. Then I deframented, installed FTXG, defragmented again. At this point my new FTXG textures were almost in the fastest zone on the disk. (Left pic., just after installation, right, after defrag - with Udefrag3, any defrag tool is fine, as long as it's not the default Windows version!).

Then I moved back my biggest sceneries, defragmented, moved back my payware aircrafts, defragmented, and so on, until I had a almost brand new clean FSX, with optimized file placement. But this is hard work... 8 hours min., like a day at the office...

I like my new sim! Yes, dry areas need a proper landclass... but "Green" zone in Europe, and northern North America regions are very nice! For example Zegrze Pomorskie airbase (EPKO) by Pawel Aziukiewicz (avsim) blends very nicely in the Polish countryside...

FTXG textures are almost photoreal... not quite of course, but close enough, most of the time... My hometown looks much better now...

Couple more for you. The textures look good in that area. First the mountains looking east - the other general textures along route 62.

Attachment 91316Attachment 91317

Oklahoma KLAW redux

Attachment 91318Attachment 91320Attachment 91319

And 3 more. Oklahoma looking good. Auto-Gen density=3.

Thanks all, for the in-game scnery shots of SW Oklahoma. They got the look much closer than GEX did and there arent any random houses on those "mountains".

-Jeff
    I pass gas!

Members who have read this thread: 0