USMC "Aces" campaign by Talon!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USMC "Aces" campaign by Talon!

This will be a 31 mission campaign starting in August 1942 flying from Henderson Field, Guadalcanal. The Marine Aces are - Everton, Smith, Galer, Bauer, Foss, LaBlanc, and Swett. I have 29 missions done and only the LaBlanc and Swett mission to go. Some of the goals are difficult, remember you go up against overwhelming odd at times.

There will be 6 different Wildcats in these missions and 1 SBD that you will fly.

I have worked on the effects in the DP files on all the Japanese planes and smoke and burn more.

I plan on doing Part 2 where you will be flying Corsairs starting in February 1943 until July 1943.

Also planned is USAAF operations from Guadalcanal flying P-40s and maybe some P-38s missions.

I still need to do some work on GSL scenery for the last 2 campaigns so it will take awhile.

Al,

Thank you very much for honoring my wish. Ever since I saw the "Dogfights" episode, I've been convinced it would make a fantastic campaign for CFS2! :salute:

"Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Great work... thank you Talon
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Well Rami you're going to love the Jefferson LeBlanc mission made special just for you.

I also hope you have a compass since you'll be flying over the ocean quite a bit.

Al,

I'm Seriously looking forward to this.

Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kurt View Post
    Al,

I'm Seriously looking forward to this.

Me too...Bring it Talon...

This thread is a throwback to my beginnings with CFS2. With Henderson being the original defo airfield, back then i did a lot of quick combat sorties there in the little Cat vs the Zeros and Oscars over the Slot. Coming from jet combat sims with high speeds and a heavy reliance on missile engagements, i got my ass kicked a lot in these vintage dogfights, but i learned a lot about fighting in prop warbirds over CFS2's Henderson. And thanks for the inspiration Rami...i've the entire HC Dogfights series, both seasons, on my hard drive for a while now. That clip was nice revisit.

"If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan it right"

Quote Originally Posted by bearcat241 View Post
    Me too...Bring it Talon...

This thread is a throwback to my beginnings with CFS2. With Henderson being the original defo airfield, back then i did a lot of quick combat sorties there in the little Cat vs the Zeros and Oscars over the Slot. Coming from jet combat sims with high speeds and a heavy reliance on missile engagements, i got my ass kicked a lot in these vintage dogfights, but i learned a lot about fighting in prop warbirds over CFS2's Henderson. And thanks for the inspiration Rami...i've the entire HC Dogfights series, both seasons, on my hard drive for a while now. That clip was nice revisit.
    I'm sure you will enjoy it.

BTW I sent the campaign to you, Rami, Shadow Wolf, and Captain Kurt.

I have started the second part of the campaign where you will be flying Corsairs.

Looking forward to this, Talon! I know I've said this before, but I had a patient who passed away a few years ago named "Pap" Beasley who flew Wildcats with Foss in the Cactus Air Force. After rotating home and flying as an IP for a couple of years, he flew F4Us at Okinawa. He and Foss would get together once a year to hunt, until The end of Foss' life.
    Best Regards,
    Ghostrider
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Just in case anyone is interested here's pics of Corsairs from Part 2. Action April 1943.

Here are some screenies from the first few missions of Talon's latest campaign.

VMF-223 Wildcats in formation over Cactus.

Attachment 90568

VMF-223's first Zero Kill over Tulagi.

Attachment 90571

A B5N2 Kate from the IJN Ryujo strike force falls to the guns of Marion Carl.

Attachment 90569

VMF-223 Attacking the Tokyo Express coming down "The Slot."

Attachment 90570Attachment 90572
    Best Regards,
    Ghostrider
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Campaigns Add-Ons

Description: You will be flying as several USMC Aces at Guadalcanal from August 1942 to January 1943. Against overwhelming odds, terrible condition and illnesses they went up everyday to battle the Japanese. This is only part of their story.

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit USMC Aces campaign.zip
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

Reply...

Al,

I really appreciate the time and effort you spent on this to make this campaign come alive. I'm flying it as soon as they release me from the 75th Squadron! :salute:
    "Rami"

Quote Originally Posted by Rami View Post
    Al,

I really appreciate the time and effort you spent on this to make this campaign come alive. I'm flying it as soon as they release me from the 75th Squadron! :salute:
    Rami,

I thought by now with all the 75th palnes you've destroyed they would have grounded you by now.

Hot Dog!

Just got it. I know what I'm going to do tomorrow. Thanks Talon.

Thank you very much Talon! :salute:

Thanks

Thanks for all your hard work, a lot of us 'users' would be lost to the bit-bucket, without you and the talent of many others. I made the right decision to join this website. Absolute thanks

HooAHHH!!! Outstanding work Talon!

I truly admire all the ingenious work that's gone into CFS2 Euro and Med over the years, but this PTO stuff really fires up my boilers. This even inspired me to revisit the Battle 360: USS Enterprise series, episodes 3, 4 and 5 covering the Grey Ghost's contributions to the fight of the Marines and Army troops to hold the "Island of Death" as the Canal was commonly referred to by the Japanese troops sent there. If any of you guys have that video set, you'll acknowledge that the CAF story is not complete without taking a good, in-depth look at how the "Grim Reapers" air wing of the Grey Ghost actually sealed the deal at Guadalcanal.

The CAF proved to be excellent and highly efficient point defenders of Henderson Field and the US foothold on the Canal. They held firm against the most extreme odds, but it was The Big E and her supporting task forces that held the perimeter defensive line in the region against repeated Japanese reinforcements and incoming surface attacks from distances surrounding the Solomons chain. Of particular note is how the Grey Ghost defended the Marines in Battle of the Eastern Solomons and later in Battle of the Santa Cruz Islands. She then reinforced the CAF with her own air assets and helped to put the final nails in the coffin of the Tokyo Express.

This is seriously real stuff for this old PTO buff, Al...well done. :salute:

Reply...

Bearcat,

I agree...I like flying in the PTO as well. I'm not done there yet, I've got another ace up my sleeve in that theatre.
    "Rami"

Glad you liked it Bearcat,I knew you would.

I have started part 2 beginning in February 1943.Not only will you fly Wildcats but also Corsairs.

Now that UT has made some US skins for the P-40 at Guadalcanal I'm working on USAAF missions starting in January 1943.

I will send them to you when they are ready like I did this one. Will take awhile though.I'm working on the P-40s and have the F model a little much better now.

Sounds good man...standing by.

Hey, maybe you can do us a smally in this USMC camp by moving the flight line parked a/c back about 15 feet or so from the runway for the missions starting on Henderson Right. I'm losing too many wingmen to ground accidents on take off as they keep plowing into the parked P-39's and SBD's along the left of that runway. I tried to modify this myself in MB but kept getting CTD's whenever i attempted to save the changes. I even tried decreasing the collision bubble on the Wildcats to no avail (guess i should have done the same for the P-39's and SBD's).

This minor glitch aside, everything else is fine. Action beginning on Henderson Left is cool as well -- nothing parked on the flight line. But please don't delete anything, i like the look of the well stocked airfield.

Hmmm...You know, after my previous post, i just had a thought that maybe this was your idea for guaranteed attrition on the Marine side

Bearcat,

Did you use the id # for the airbases I put in? That sometimes is the cause of the CTD.I did some hand editing which can cause it.

My wingmen nevered crashed into them but I have to I can move them and I will have to hand edit the missions again

This is one reason I like feedback,things that work for me may not work for others.

The next set of missions is setup a little different and since I know there is a problem I can redo the layout files.

Quote Originally Posted by bearcat241 View Post
    Hmmm...You know, after my previous post, i just had a thought that maybe this was your idea for guaranteed attrition on the Marine side
    How could you think such a thing? I think the Japanese Camandos snuck in and moved the planes on you.

Fidenza, Northern Italy, 65 miles south of Milano

WOW!

This is not a hobby holding on stubbornly to a very old piece of software, this is an ongoing history lesson about WWII!!

My personal knowledge about little covered or even forgotten, yet vital, episodes that shaped the destiny of the conflict increased a thousandfold over the years, just by reading SOH CFS2-forum threads or flying historical campaigns written by SOH members.

Thank very much you guys, for sharing your knowledge!

Cheers!
    KH
    :ernae:
    My wee mods here at the Outhouse:

FileUploadName=kelticheart