Advice needed on Win7 version....

Thread: Advice needed on Win7 version....

Advice needed on Win7 version....

Getting set to order a new gaming machine and will go with Win7 versus Win8. I want a 64-bit version but in looking at the versions available, I was
    wondering what y'all were running. I'm running Vista's 64-bit version on my current gaming machine. I was leaning towards the Win7 Ultimate, but
    that may have more in it that I really need.

Any advice appreciated.

"Hornets by mandate, Tomcats by choice!"

Quote Originally Posted by Odie View Post
    Getting set to order a new gaming machine and will go with Win7 versus Win8. I want a 64-bit version but in looking at the versions available, I was
    wondering what y'all were running. I'm running Vista's 64-bit version on my current gaming machine. I was leaning towards the Win7 Ultimate, but

Any advice appreciated.
    I use Win7 64 bit Enterprise at home and at work. It has most of the whistles and bells. The price difference doesn't warrant Ultimate which is quite a bit more expensive.

Also, when you order your machine, order windows with it. That way, you can have the OEM version instead of the retail version which is about 3 times the price of OEM. (over here in Europe anyway)

Any advice appreciated.
    I run Windows 7 64 Home Edition on two PC's.
    Intel I7 8700 16gb DDR4 RAM GTX 1060 3GB with Windows 10

Any advice appreciated.
    I run Win 7 64 Home Premium on both my Laptop and my Desktop (my FS rig) and I have never had any problems with it. As has been said before in the forums, just make sure to install your FS in to OTHER than the default location.
    ...things will go as they will; and there's no use hurrying to meet them.

SOH-CM-2020

Any advice appreciated.
    Hi Odie,

I'm using Win 7 Home Premium which I'm pretty happy with overall, though I do have a particualr problem in CFS2 as shown in the following thread:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...ems&highlight=

as yet I haven't had time to follow up on the Anti-Aliasing settings to see if that is going to solve the problem. Plenty of other people here seem to be using Win 7 and CFS2 without any issues.

Good luck,

SW

Odie,

I'm doing the same thing regards OS and new gaming machine. I've reached the conclusion that WIN 7 Premium 64 Bit is my best option. Of course that's just my situation. I use the full up WIN 7 pro with some units using Win 7 Enterprise at work which is a good selection for a worldwide enterprise of over 1000 devices.

I can't see it at the house though. It does not seem to me to be worth the extra cost. Most people will never use the additional capabilities. These are the basics. After that you're into things like "location aware printing" and "multi-language paks"....you think you need that?

My two cents.....

P.S. I currently run WIN 7 Premium supporting FSX and FS9 with no issues. Have not reloaded CFS 2, so no experience there.
    Basic Flying Rules: "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there."

I run Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit. Love it! The exish-wife's system runs Win 7 Home 64-bit...it's equally as good.

Tim
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hey guys, I have been running Win 7 x64 Pro since it was released and it has been a very reliable operating system. I have never had many issues with FSX that weren't correctable with some workaround. At the time, only the Pro version and above supported Virtual Windows XP which enabled me to run my old scanner which was not compatible with 7. I know Pro also supports Remote Desktop, I don't know what the cutoff level is for RD.

Cheers
    TJ
    "The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hey guys, I have been running Win 7 x64 Pro since it was released and it has been a very reliable operating system. I have never had any issue with FSX that wasn't correctable with some workaround. At the time, only the Pro version and above supported Virtual Windows XP which enabled me to run my old scanner which was not compatible with 7. I know Pro also supports Remote Desktop, I don't know what the cutoff level is for RD.

Cheers
    TJ
    "The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've been running Win7 64-bit Home Premium since RTM and have no problems: it's been a very happy experience for me. I'm now pursuing an upgrade to Ultimate because I want to bolt the childrens' accounts to the floor and need either Professional or Ultimate to do it. If you're the only user, Home Premium is great.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Hey Everyone, great responses and I thank all of you for sharing your wisdom. As Win7 will be new to me, I'm sure I'll have some more questions once the PC gets here. I ordered it today and went with Win7 Pro 64-bit. I probably overbuilt it with memory/storage/etc..., but I always do. My internet machine is a Falcon box going on 10 years and my gaming platform is a Falcon at 7 years.

Thanks again!

"Hornets by mandate, Tomcats by choice!"

You'll be back to us when you try to add scenery....trust me.

But I think that's the only bug...and it's minor (rather odd).
    Basic Flying Rules: "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there."