Steam powered Aircraft

Thread: Steam powered Aircraft

That makes you wonder just what could be done with modern tech. The heat source would probably be electric, with a generator driven by the engine. Initial start would likely require external power to get the water heated, but the real problem would be electrical efficiency of the generator. Would it be able to keep up with electrical demant without being too heavy? I know the green activists would be happy to see one work!
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    That makes you wonder just what could be done with modern tech. The heat source would probably be electric, with a generator driven by the engine. Initial start would likely require external power to get the water heated, but the real problem would be electrical efficiency of the generator. Would it be able to keep up with electrical demant without being too heavy? I know the green activists would be happy to see one work!
    Solar cells.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Blog Entries
    steam Punk lives!!., and it aint modern.. I like it..

Oh please....don't let my Steam Punk daughter see this.....!!
    Basic Flying Rules: "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there."

Can't see it ever happening in aviation. Thrust to weight ratio could never match what's already available. There are some efforts to create fuel cell engines for aircraft but even for them the current technology makes for poor thrust to weight. Same story for battery power. Solar power is limited by the necessary square footage of current cells and therefore you can only fly the most spindly kind of aircraft with it.

Where I wish general aviation would go is simply to catch up to the technology of automobile engines. Direct fuel injection combined with turbocharging would truly revolutionize GA. It is sad to see how much piston aircraft engine technology has stagnated. Modern fuel metering systems used in direct injection would represent a doubling of fuel economy and that would also represent a dramatic reduction of emissions.

I drive a Ford with a direct fuel injected turbocharged engine that weighs less than what's on my Skyhawk and yet produces more torque and horsepower at lower RPM's and on greatly improved fuel economy and vastly less emissions. Vice going for the revolutionary options, I'd simply like to see the best of what's already out there finally adopted in aviation.

Ken

Well, perhaps not in real life... but in FS 9 you can.

Search for "Potter's Steam Aeroplane" at the larger sites.

Search: uabat.zip
    Keep your airspeed up,

Jagdflieger

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...me=Jagdflieger

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty
    to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
    deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Benjamin Franklin

Ken, you're right about the thrust/weight ratio. The water itself weights 33% more than gasoline, and the weight of the heating element will be pretty high for the foreseeable future.

To be a little more realistic, I'd rather see a diesel with FADEC and electronic direct injection. There are plenty of places in less developed regions where gasoline is scare - not to mention avgas. Everything there runs on diesel or kerosene. That's why the only planes you see flying in are turbines. With a diesel piston engine, the pilot wouldn't need a turbine rating, and the cost of the plane would probably be lower too.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Ken, you're right about the thrust/weight ratio. The water itself weights 33% more than gasoline, and the weight of the heating element will be pretty high for the foreseeable future.

To be a little more realistic, I'd rather see a diesel with FADEC and electronic direct injection. There are plenty of places in less developed regions where gasoline is scare - not to mention avgas. Everything there runs on diesel or kerosene. That's why the only planes you see flying in are turbines. With a diesel piston engine, the pilot wouldn't need a turbine rating, and the cost of the plane would probably be lower too.
    As Hawker-Beechcraft emerges from bankruptcy, they have said they are looking at diesel piston powered Barons and Bonanzas as future projects.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.