IYAOYAS!!!!! John Finn

Thread: IYAOYAS!!!!! John Finn

IYAOYAS!!!!! John Finn

Happy Birthday LT.

For those that do not know who this man is and why he is the hero to lots of Aviation Ordnancemen read on......

John William Finn (23 July 1909 –27 May 2010) was a sailor in the United States Navy who, as a Chief Petty Officer, received the United States military's highest decoration, the Medal of Honor, for his actions during the attack on Pearl Harbor in WWII. As a Chief Aviation Ordnanceman stationed at NAS Kaneohe Bay, he earned the medal by manning a machine gun from an exposed position throughout the attack, despite being repeatedly wounded. He continued to serve in the Navy and in 1942 was commissioned an Ensign. In 1947 he was reverted to chief petty officer, eventually rising to Lieutenant before his 1956 retirement. In his later years he made many appearances at events celebrating veterans. At the time of his death, Finn was the oldest living Medal of Honor recipient and the last living recipient from the attack on Pearl Harbor.

IYAOYAS:salute:
    AO1 USN Retired
    USS SARATOGA CV-60/ VP-65/HAL-5/VP-0919/VFA-305/NAWS-0176/HCS-5

IYAOYAS
    Naval Aviation Ordnance
    We Are The Arms Of The Fleet

A true hero indeed, thanks for posting this Shipmate! Mike

Chief Finn was still mentally sharp and in possession of all his memories and faculties right up until he passed away. I wouldn't mind living to age 100 if I still had my sh*t together like he did.