Reverse Thrusters

Thread: Reverse Thrusters

Question Reverse Thrusters

What key command activates the reverse thrusters on jet engines?

Can I tie the command to a button press?

I can't find any referance to them in the assignments.

Thanks Dave
    ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

lilduckfoot2
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangerousdave26 View Post
    What key command activates the reverse thrusters on jet engines?

Can I tie the command to a button press?

I can't find any referance to them in the assignments.

Thanks Dave
    Hey DD ~ Reverse Thrust is F2 and hold. When you release the button the reversers are deactivated. I have mine mapped to a botton on my throttle. Works great! It's neat to back your C-130 into its revetment!

LDF

If your reversers revert to idle when you release F2, you're probably getting "noise" from your throttle pot. It shouldn't change until you either move your throttle slider or hit F1 to cut back to idle.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

lilduckfoot2

Thanks got it. I never used them before.

Tom

You are correct. Once I release the F2 or the throttle slider I mapped them to they stay where they are until I move the throttles forward a small amount.

Thank you both.
    ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

lilduckfoot2
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    If your reversers revert to idle when you release F2, you're probably getting "noise" from your throttle pot. It shouldn't change until you either move your throttle slider or hit F1 to cut back to idle.
    Tom,

You are correct. Haven't flown the C-130 in a while and forgot about the throttle-up release.

Thanks for keeping me honest! :ernae:

LDF

Dave, in the real world reverse in jets is normally cancelled as you slow thru 80 knots to prevent ingestion of nasty bits and to ease the strain on the parts. "Abnormal operations" of course require different use. Most modern brake systems are designed to be effective at 80kts & below.

Aircraft like the Twin Otter are, of course different and often flown abnormally (by abnormal pilots??)

Reverse is nice in some a/c for backing up, but watch the transition when you want to stop.. I've seen (and helped recover) a few that sat on the tail because brakes were applied before the reverse thrust was cancelled.:faint:

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Alphasims caibou has reverse built in using the throttle and prop levers. Was this built in to the model or set up in the ac cfg file? I can think of a few other ac that could use that setup C123, C119, HU16.
    USMC Retired SEMPER FI:USA-flag:

F2 is, as far as I know, the basic work-around keyboard command as most throttles didn't exist or have the physical ability to 'reverse' (pull back and over a stop to go into reverse -pitch, not prop rotation of course.). At one time apparently only jets & turboprops could have reverse thrust but thanks to a couple of bright guys it was found how to do it with piston a/c. (greg Pepper et al?)

I've seen references that the X-52 pro has a configurable detent to facilitate the same, but I dunno - maybe also the Saitek Yoke's throttle setup.

I'd have to pass to a builder or two for the answer re: individual models but I can't see why it couldn't be enabled somehow

“Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by lilduckfoot2 View Post
    It's neat to back your C-130 into its revetment!
    Jip.
    And by 'toebraking' while going backwards, it's even possible to leave the runway at the next exit in that manner! :wave:

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Bill Kelso View Post
    Jip.
    And by 'toebraking' while going backwards, it's even possible to leave the runway at the next exit in that manner! :wave:
    Hi Bill! :wave:
    :ernae:

Rob:

Speaking of reverse... the other day I had to exercise my emergency authority and use reverse thrust on a very icy dark ramp with a slope as full braking was having absolutly no effect even at 3 knots! And... turn the aircraft so as to not be heading to the big snowbank! Perhaps a bit like riding on top of an elephant just learning to ice skate?

A level three situation is one for which you have no (1) training (2) procedure (3) and may have to become a test pilot.

Cheers: T.

Quote Originally Posted by fliger747 View Post
    Rob:

Speaking of reverse... the other day I had to exercise my emergency authority and use reverse thrust on a very icy dark ramp with a slope as full braking was having absolutly no effect even at 3 knots! And... turn the aircraft so as to not be heading to the big snowbank! Perhaps a bit like riding on top of an elephant just learning to ice skate?

A level three situation is one for which you have no (1) training (2) procedure (3) and may have to become a test pilot.

Cheers: T.
    Reminds me of the day at YEG in the middle of real winter. Wardair 707-320 at the gate suddenly started throttling up . Seems that even at idle the Boeing was trying to push the mule into the terminal bldg (nose in parking). Brakes wouldn't hold against the slope so they hit reverse to "push-back" the airplane with mule attached until they could find bare ground. Airport manager was not impressed, but, as you say...
    So what's a little debris and a few sandblasted windows?:whistle:
    Next time see if you can get the elephant to do a triple axle

Rob

Members who have read this thread: 0