The end of a chapter in my life.

Thread: The end of a chapter in my life.

The end of a chapter in my life.

As he approaches his 80th birthday my Dad has decided he will not renew his pilot's license. Flying with him was a big thing for me for most of my life, but I knew this was coming after I had a discussion with him last year during which I expressed some concerns I noted during recent flights. While I am sad to see this part of our lives together come to an end at the same time there is a peace of mind for me knowing that he made the right decision. For now he is getting ready to lift the Pietenpol back up where we stored it before to get some extra hangar space, and he is planning to acquire an old car to restore. For me I wish that I had gotten a little better deal of the cards in life such that I had my license and could "keep 'em flying", but all I can do is hope to manage it sometime soon. Even then I fear that I might have to limit myself to flying the Pete as I have doubts that I can clear the medical for a full private ticket to be able to command the Thorp.

Here's one of my favorite pics of us together. Taxiing in after cheating death landing in a fierce crosswind at Casa Grande, AZ

Attachment 90513

Robert, of course I have no idea how hard that really is for you, but I do know that you always spoke with enthusiasm about flying with your Dad...it's gotta have a special place in your heart and memories and rightfully so. Your years flying with your Dad have fueled your desire to build some terrific models and allowed us to share if just a little bit the fun you've had over the years seeing the world through your Dads eyes, high above Terra Firma. I appreciate your efforts. Your Dad knows best and it's good that it was his decision (hard as it must have been) and not something that was forced on him. Thanks to your Dad for the experiences and the great memories he gave you.:salute:
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

It's a lot better on your dad to have given it up on his own rather than being made to do it. Enjoy the memories!

Don

Robert, your dad is I'm sure a very intelligent guy. He knows his limitations. He wants to be around a while to enjoy you and share the memories with you. All the luck and good times to you and your Dad.
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

The flying is not important. The fact that you can still spend time with your dad is what's important.

I absolutely agree. That is the part where I am good with letting this chapter close.

Blog Entries
    Well, I m saddened that your father is hanging up his wing. I do hope your able to see your dream become reality and that you and your father will have many years still, in the air with you flying..
    Pam

Charter Member 2015

sounds like its....

Time to roll up your sleeves and get involved in car restoration.

I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Members +
    Yes thats the way it is...now at 81, I did the same thing..my ego of youth is waning..not that I cannot fly my former PA28-140B,,but I could never take my two Great grandsons up and put them in danger..I still fly of course,but with my Nephew sitting in the Right seat....Giving up gracefully things in life,is the key...so with misty eye ,I feel so fortunate to have been an active pilot for so long. And in the words of the great Yogi Berra? "It An't Over till Its Over"....Their still is a lot more out there for your Dad.,...Vin

Well, all I can say to that is, "Road trip!!" You might want to call shotgun now.

It's sad that he has to give up his wings, but it's great that he isn't giving up, but moving on to something else. I expect the next pic we'll see will be of your Dad driving his restored car and you sticking your head out of the passenger side window similar to the pic above.

Members who have read this thread: 0