Something stirring over at Microsoft.... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Something stirring over at Microsoft....

Bottom line, neither MS of LM will move forward on a simulator if the money is not there. I still would like to see MS and LM battle it out for the money. We would all benefit from the competition.

Dumonceau. You forgot that MS would then would try to copy write/patent darkness, and then totally mess up the whole darkness interface on a future release.
    Dandog

Just This Guy!

Quote Originally Posted by dandog View Post
    Bottom line, neither MS of LM will move forward on a simulator if the money is not there. I still would like to see MS and LM battle it out for the money. We would all benefit from the competition.

Dumonceau. You forgot that MS would then would try to copy write/patent darkness, and then totally mess up the whole darkness interface on a future release.
    Indeed... M$ is IMHO an evil empire. I have to work with their ****ty products every day and know very well what they call "support". it is a money making machine with no regard whatsoever for their users or customers. But they DO work with NSA to spy on us all!!

Oh well, that is capitalism for ya...

Folks, we need to accept reality for what it is and not what we want it to be. The folks in charge at Microsoft today could not possible care less about the PC flight simulator market. The only reason the FS series became the multi-generational title it became is because the number two man, and co-founder, at Microsoft for so long, Paul Allen, was a devoted champion of aviation, general aviation in particular. Allen demanded that the FS series continue and what Paul wanted Paul got! When Paul Allen retired in 2000, that champion left, and the only surprise really is why it took until 2009 for Microsoft to fire the entire Aces Studios staff.

Even if there was lingering interest (and trust me there isn't any) the truth is Microsoft is facing serious challenges in far more vital business areas. Due to their refusal to support anything past IE 8 in Windows XP (which remains the most prevalent O/S in use today), for the first time ever IE lost its rank as the number one internet search engine, overtaken by Google Chrome.

Microsoft is also losing big on their O/S future as people are increasingly unhappy with their products for tablets and PC's.

The only serious option I see to reignite a PC based flight simulator is for people to convince Paul Allen to finance such a project with another company. The only way I see that happening is to write the code with the intention of supporting commercial uses and expand the market to include anyone who wanted to purchase it for any reason, including good old fashioned entertainment. In that respect, perhaps the best course would be to try to enlist the help of Paul Allen to convince Microsoft to unshackle their current limits on ESP derivatives such as Prepar3D.

I give none of that much chance.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhawk_310R View Post
    Folks, we need to accept reality for what it is and not what we want it to be. The folks in charge at Microsoft today could not possible care less about the PC flight simulator market. The only reason the FS series became the multi-generational title it became is because the number two man, and co-founder, at Microsoft for so long, Paul Allen, was a devoted champion of aviation, general aviation in particular. Allen demanded that the FS series continue and what Paul wanted Paul got! When Paul Allen retired in 2000, that champion left, and the only surprise really is why it took until 2009 for Microsoft to fire the entire Aces Studios staff.

Even if there was lingering interest (and trust me there isn't any) the truth is Microsoft is facing serious challenges in far more vital business areas. Due to their refusal to support anything past IE 8 in Windows XP (which remains the most prevalent O/S in use today), for the first time ever IE lost its rank as the number one internet search engine, overtaken by Google Chrome.

Microsoft is also losing big on their O/S future as people are increasingly unhappy with their products for tablets and PC's.

The only serious option I see to reignite a PC based flight simulator is for people to convince Paul Allen to finance such a project with another company. The only way I see that happening is to write the code with the intention of supporting commercial uses and expand the market to include anyone who wanted to purchase it for any reason, including good old fashioned entertainment. In that respect, perhaps the best course would be to try to enlist the help of Paul Allen to convince Microsoft to unshackle their current limits on ESP derivatives such as Prepar3D.

I give none of that much chance.

Ken
    The name of the problem, the "Beast" if you will, is Steve Balmer. His number is 666.

Um, you do realize Paul Allen left Microsoft in 1983, and left the board of directors in 2000. He wasn't keeping FS alive...

Quote Originally Posted by Dumonceau View Post
    Indeed... M$ is IMHO an evil empire. I have to work with their ****ty products every day and know very well what they call "support". it is a money making machine with no regard whatsoever for their users or customers. But they DO work with NSA to spy on us all!!

Oh well, that is capitalism for ya...

It's funny for me to read posts like this. i work with MS (no $ sign) products daily also and have never really had any issues with support, especially when we switched all work machines to Win 7, what a fiasco that was. (As for conspiracy theories, I have more with Google than MS) So while I am not an MS fan boy, I also am not on the evil empire bandwagon also, they are a business and i really can't fault them for the practices I have seen, especially since I have seen worse from other large companies. While I am bummed to see the state of FS as it is, the company I work for cans projects all the time when they are not profitable or even if the big boss doesn't care for them it seems, it's business and unless someone at MS tells me up front it is something different, I will accept it as that and move along

I really had high hopes for FLIGHT, even with the stupid DLC format. I really wish they would release an SDK and let us mod it. With the shadows and first person mode in Flight, I would be one happy camper developing for it.
    Best, Michael

Quote Originally Posted by DennyA View Post
    Um, you do realize Paul Allen left Microsoft in 1983, and left the board of directors in 2000. He wasn't keeping FS alive...
    Yes, he was.