The end for my DAD

Thread: The end for my DAD

Banned
    Blog Entries

The end for my DAD

I don't know if some of you out there remember when I posted a few months ago about my Dad having a cancerous tumor removed from his leg. Well that went OK however
    the cancer has since spread to his lungs. The Doctors have stated that the cancer is too widespread in his lungs for any effective treatment. So he is riding it out (so to speak)
    and has about 6-10 months.

If he makes it to this December, he will be 90. I just got in the mail today a belated birthday card from him, I think this will be the last one I get from him so, it is special to me.
    He is a retired Navy W-4 (select) Avionics Tech with 25 years of service. Made CPO in three years. A feat no one has done.

He enlisted in Dec 1941 and shortly after was interested in the NAVY Aviation Cadet Training program (V-5).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aviatio...gram_%28USN%29

After 8 weeks or so he decided that he wanted out (He regrets this to this day).

He went back to the enlisted ranks and made CPO in three years. A feat no one to my knowledge has done.

My two brothers want us to make plans to visit him at the same time. That will take some planning.

For you younger guy and gals, if your parents are still around enjoy them while you can cause the time is fleeting oh so precious.

As Walter Cronkrite would say...that's the way it is -

Blog Entries
    FSX68.
    Sorry to hear that bud......Hope he can make the time he has left memorable for you and yours....Our hearts go out to you my friend....

FSX68, my daddy lived to be 90. He simply just wore out. He developed a kidney infection on a Friday and died the following Monday. I was with him for the last time on the Saturday before the Monday of his death. I was blessed to have been with momma when she died. She and daddy had been married for 67 years.

I wish to repeat what you said: Spend time with your parents. Tempus Fugit Mortum Momentum. I still miss both my parents but, I have NO regrets about the time I spent with them.

RD

You are so correct about enjoying your parents while you still have them. I'll add the following advice that if you have questions about family history, ask them now! I wish I had. Both my parents have passed on, and so has all my Aunts and Uncles. No one left to tell the story. NC

Thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.. Your Dad sounds like a tough old guy!
    Intel I7 8700 16gb DDR4 RAM GTX 1060 3GB with Windows 10

South Chesterfield Virginia, United States
    Blog Entries
    FSX68, my prayers go out to your Dad, you, and your family... I lost both of my parents when I was seventeen, so feel blessed your Dad has lived a full life. Savor every moment you have with him....

im sorry to hear this,i remember when your dad went through the previous part,lets just hope the rest of his life can be filled with joy,rather than an over abundance of tears...cry with him when he needs it,cry by yourselves when he needs to laugh,and make his last days his best.
    my dad had a friend who gave up after 5 years on dialysis,he was bed ridden,his wife was a blubbering mess,but the rest of us smiled,joked,and made tom laugh,just hours before he passed,,he told Arlean to thank everyone for the joy we spread.he had stopped worrying ,and just let things happen as they should.my brother inlaw...a slug of a person in life,surprised me when he was faced with death himself,he had a football sized tumor removed from his stomach,and 6 months later he had a headache and blurred vision,then passed out,,ambulance to hospital,and was DX'd with a massive tumor in his brain,8 weeks later he passed,but one day about a week before he went..he was real sick,miserable and i said Mike,youve worried about dying all your life,its here now.nothing you can do,why dont we just have one last day of fun...my thought was maybe a sprint car race,he told my sister to call all his freinds...all bikers..he wanted a pre-death "life celibration" ,so on the following saturday we had almost 70 people in my sisters yard,motorcycles and hotrod cars everywhere...his passions in life were those two things..people were there from 6am until 9 pm....my mom,dad,myself,his mom,and ofcourse my sister were all still there,mike was helped into his bed,he held his moms hand,and my sisters with his other hand,,smiled and closed his eyes and was gone.he went without the fear he had felt all his life.

well that prolly doesnt help..but i hope it does...remember ,he knows he is going too,and that is harder on him than you ,thought you will feel it longer....but poeple will be much better to go happy and relaxed,,even if in pain,,,than surrounded by people constantly crying and asking..why oh why....

Banned
    Blog Entries

Thanks to all of you

Thanks to all of you that have responded so far. Although we never get over it I guess we can try to get through it.
    He will soon touch my Mom's face (my best friend) and the sad thing about it all is that I don't get to go too, at least for now.

Oh well, again thanks for your kind words. May go to Florida Mid August to see him. What I heard; as this thing progresses, he will cough a lot and then the breathing becomes
    more and more difficult. I think he pretty much did not want to go thru that chemo (again) and it would be less painful to just ride it out as my Dad told me.

Vade in pace

"Butch"

I am so sorry to hear this about your dad....so very very sorry....I lost my dad wehn I was 25....watched him slowly die for 14 years.....it's a real rough thing tow atch.

I'm drunk....boy am Id runk.

OBIoi
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

FSX68, I am so sorry to hear of your Dad's worsening condition, I too have lost both my parents and my siblings over the past few years and know what you are dealing with. My mother was diagnosed with Metastarsic Cancer in Feb. of 1985 and I was lucky enough to have her for 6 months before it took her but during that time I spent every spare minute I had with her and to this day I am so glad that I did. Those memories are some of the most cherished in my life. We had conversations that would normally have never happened and I learned so much about my mother's life,her hopes that never happened,the regrets that bothered her til the end.Things that I would never have known if I hadn't taken that time and effort to be there with her. My family will keep your dad and your family in our prayers and hope that your dad's last months will be comfortable for him. Gary

Unhappy Reply...

Aircav1970,

My condolences and prayers go out to you and your family. My experience is similar to yours and Obio's...I watched my dad deteriorate over a period of thirteen years...he passed in October of 2011. Please enjoy every moment you have left, and use the time to make lasting memories.
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Members who have read this thread: 0