TinType Photos On Modern Subjects

Thread: TinType Photos On Modern Subjects

Lightbulb TinType Photos On Modern Subjects

We quite often see US TinType photos on in US Civil War subjects.....well, here it is on modern subjects
    -> http://petapixel.com/2013/07/10/thes...the-civil-war/

One would not think that simply changing the medium would make that much difference, but it really does, doesn't it?

Excellent treatment. More depth to each subject. Totally unexpected.
    Basic Flying Rules: "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there."

Charter Member 2016
    P, that's a neat combo of technique and era ! Good share !

"Those who live by the sword are shot by those who don't"

Holly smokes, those soldiers looks Bad A$#. Look like they are ready for a little house warming party.

Thanks P!
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Tin Type

Interesting medium.

I wonder why several of the prints are in reverse? Intentional?
    Keep your airspeed up,

Jagdflieger

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...me=Jagdflieger

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty
    to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
    deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Benjamin Franklin

Daguerreotypes are mirror images. So, unless you take another measure the image will be backwards.

They are also very very fragile.
    Basic Flying Rules: "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there."

Quote Originally Posted by TeaSea View Post
    Daguerreotypes are mirror images. So, unless you take another measure the image will be backwards.

They are also very very fragile.
    I'd been wondering about this myself. There's a very famous daguerreotype of Billy the Kid where he's holding his weapon in his left hand; therefore many writers on his life assumed he was left-handed, and there's even a Paul Newman movie called The Left-Handed Gun. So, is the popular image of a left-handed Billy inaccurate?

JAMES
    "Deserve's got nothing to do with it."

-William Munny
    Unforgiven (1992)

Somplace in this litle aprtment I have a coletion of of old pictures...from civl war to the 30s....I love tin dypes. Even bter is the pictrues fro the 20a......flapper chicks are so dexy.

tiM
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Eoraptor1 View Post
    I'd been wondering about this myself. There's a very famous daguerreotype of Billy the Kid where he's holding his weapon in his left hand; therefore many writers on his life assumed he was left-handed, and there's even a Paul Newman movie called The Left-Handed Gun. So, is the popular image of a left-handed Billy inaccurate?

JAMES
    That is correct. I can't tell you whether Mr. Bonney was left handed or not, but I can tell you that the image below (which is the one commonly depicted) is a mirror image. In this image young William is holding the muzzle of the rifle in his LEFT hand. His pistol in on his right hand side. You will also see this same photo corrected for the mirror. The misconception on which hand he used comes from this image. Likely he was right handed and most historians have declared that.

Don't believe this is a mirror image? Look closer....chamber on the rifle, buttons on his vest, belt and belt buckle.....