Hi Just got P3D

Thread: Hi Just got P3D

Charter Member 2012

Hi Just got P3D

HI all

Just installed it - wow what a diference to fps.

Just one question please- should I have self shadowing on aircraft? I cant find where to turn it on!

Any advice appreciated.

Hey Barnes, LM disabled aircraft self shadowing because there were some performance issues and at some zoom levels it didn't render properly, but I'm pretty sure they will put it back in V2.
    Craig

Charter Member 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by full View Post
    Hey Barnes, LM disabled aircraft self shadowing because there were some performance issues and at some zoom levels it didn't render properly, but I'm pretty sure they will put it back in V2.
    Oh **** please don't tell me that. Thanks anyway.

Nope, no self-shadows this time around but I hear they are doing some great things with shadowing for v2.0.

Charter Member 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Clutch Cargo View Post
    Nope, no self-shadows this time around but I hear they are doing some great things with shadowing for v2.0.
    Thanks - that gives me hope - apprechiated.

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    Just to help out, when I see things with self shadowing, they are always rough edged, like cardboard cut with a sharp old hack saw, very jagged. Even with car games, the self shadowing always catches my eyes and I think 'cardboard cut with a hack saw'. Distracting for me, but others, it might look pretty good.

By the way, WELCOME TO Prepar3D! IT IS AWESOME!

Check the AVSIM tutorial for FSX / P3D on how to tune your installation to run as fast as possible. 36 FPS as a limit is really good, though it might drop over cities. Better then 15 FPS over country and 7 over cities. :S

You should be able to run all of your FSX planes and scenery in P3D without issue, and you can just link into your scenery from P3D into the FSX zones directly without having to re-install.

Also, if you haven't seen it, (its also in FSX Accelleration), check out Edwards AFB. Brilliant!

Bill
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

Charter Member 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart View Post
    Just to help out, when I see things with self shadowing, they are always rough edged, like cardboard cut with a sharp old hack saw, very jagged. Even with car games, the self shadowing always catches my eyes and I think 'cardboard cut with a hack saw'. Distracting for me, but others, it might look pretty good.

By the way, WELCOME TO Prepar3D! IT IS AWESOME!

Check the AVSIM tutorial for FSX / P3D on how to tune your installation to run as fast as possible. 36 FPS as a limit is really good, though it might drop over cities. Better then 15 FPS over country and 7 over cities. :S

You should be able to run all of your FSX planes and scenery in P3D without issue, and you can just link into your scenery from P3D into the FSX zones directly without having to re-install.

Also, if you haven't seen it, (its also in FSX Accelleration), check out Edwards AFB. Brilliant!

Bill
    HI Bill - yes the performance is a big improvement but im going to have to wait for the next version - I really miss the self shadow so I will keep it on pc but dorment. I m also very pissed off as I have bought Orbx Wales and England for it - followed everything to the letter but just cant load them due to a prob with the istaller - yet I have been successful in losding the free stuff from orbx on. I will return when my patience has repaired!! The migration tool I bought works well for loading the aircraft.

SOH-CM-2014
    Hey Barnes,

Roger.

According to ORBX, what they told me personally, was that they stopped doing the dual installer because all you need to do is link P3D to the scenery in FSX and it works. Have you tried that?

Bill

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate

Hey Barnes,

Roger.

According to ORBX, what they told me personally, was that they stopped doing the dual installer because all you need to do is link P3D to the scenery in FSX and it works. Have you tried that?

Bill
    How does that work then? Does P3D "borrow" FSX scenery.cfg somehow? I don't see how given that FTX Central when implemented to change regions of the FTX world or switch it off entirely makes some deep changes within the cfg file. Bill have you a link to their info which explains it?
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Charter Member 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Naismith View Post
    How does that work then? Does P3D "borrow" FSX scenery.cfg somehow? I don't see how given that FTX Central when implemented to change regions of the FTX world or switch it off entirely makes some deep changes within the cfg file. Bill have you a link to their info which explains it?
    To be honest its a corrupt download that I cant seem to sort that is causing the problems - it wont even load into FSx without having the same error. Horrible feeling that I have just wasted £80! The annoying thing is I just cant find any proper support from the vendor

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    Hey Barnes,

Roger.

Bill
    Bill are you sure it is the dual installers and not their DVDs?

The only thing that is posted on the ORBX forums is that they are no longer making DVDs and everything is download only.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Charter Member 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by AussieMan View Post
    Bill are you sure it is the dual installers and not their DVDs?

The only thing that is posted on the ORBX forums is that they are no longer making DVDs and everything is download only.
    Hope it works better than my 2 costly and timewasting downloads which I still cant get to install all the way - nothing to do with Prepar3d!

Hey Barnes,

Roger.

Bill
    You sure about this? All the newest installers are dual-installers. Even the freeware stuff (newly released Tipella etc) is all dual. :mixedsmi:

I posted the question regarding the dual installers and below is the reply I got from one of the ORBX admins.

Tim Harris, on 14 Jul 2013 - 11:33 AM, said:
    Unless you read it here at the Orbx forums its probably untrue Pat

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

This tool can be very handy when installing FSX items into P3D

http://www.sahince.com/downloads/vie...top3d-v11.html

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Regarding orbz.
    according to their web site orbz scenery rise can only be installed in commercial versions of p3d.

Bob

I have the Academic version of P3D and their sceneries install into that with no problems at all.

All their sceneries come with dual installers giving you the choice of installing into FSX or P3D.

Cheers
    Pat

Charter Member 2012
    I have the Academic version of P3D and their sceneries install into that with no problems at all.

All their sceneries come with dual installers giving you the choice of installing into FSX or P3D.

Well Ausssieman - I only wish, after over 10 hours of ****king about that I could agree. I got England and Wales working for a while, tweaked some settings in Orbx an now no matter where in the world I fly I get a jumbled black landscape - the image should show the English channel at the bottom.

Any pointers anyone can offer would be gratefully received as I can see the value of p3d but trying to load anything to it seems to be strangely difficult compared to FSX.

Oh - the only way I could get past the problems Orbx installer gave me was to use the migration tool to kid it into thinking it was FSX it was loading into and all loaded.

Did you do a default install or did you install to a location of your choice?

Cheers
    Pat

SOH-CM-2014
    Ok, well, that changed. Great either way. So long as it works.

:salute:

Charter Member 2012
    Did you do a default install or did you install to a location of your choice?

Hi AussieMan - I default as much as possible - I get enough hassle without looking for more LOL

Whats odd is that this happens now wheterh I have selected the Orbx scenary or use the FTX Central tool to ask to go back to the original P3D basic scenary.

I shall have a day away from it and have another go at trying to sort it out.

Members who have read this thread: 0