USS Arizona - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: USS Arizona

USS Arizona under way

Hey Guys and Gals

I test compiled the Arizona today and believe it or not, NO errors. She's still work in progress but if things keep on like they are going she will be done soon. The I can start an aircraft carrier:salute:.
    Here's a few screens of how she looks in the water and if you guys see anything, anything at all that does not look right or you have any suggestions please don't hesitate to let me know.

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    A real beauty all the way around.

Saw The Man in his chair. If you're not The Man, sit in the chair on penalty of death.

This was the prewar Navy - no choker whites?

The Arizona now has her guns and a few other new parts and pieces :salute:

Hi,

it might be worth a look: do the tripod masts end at the base of the platforms or do they continue in the inside. The thought occured to me that they might continue for a while and eventually meet at the base of the uppermost deck. If you look at the picture below, you may note that the rear of the platform either has no windows or is filled with something - possibly the tripod mast extending upwards.

http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/i...000/h97380.jpg

Attachment 91737

Just wondering.

Best regards,
    Volker

Quote Originally Posted by Volker Böhme View Post
    Hi,

it might be worth a look: do the tripod masts end at the base of the platforms or do they continue in the inside. The thought occured to me that they might continue for a while and eventually meet at the base of the uppermost deck. If you look at the picture below, you may note that the rear of the platform either has no windows or is filled with something - possibly the tripod mast extending upwards.

http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/i...000/h97380.jpg

Attachment 91737

Best regards,
    Volker
    Just wondering.

I'm unclear on that to be honest, I found a pic of a plastic model that had glass but that's all. I can't tell if they had glass or what but I can't see them leaving it open because I think I read that it had an "Upper Bridge". Also, any and all pic's of plastic models or the real girl shows tripod masts ending at the base.

WOW EXCEPTIONAL MODELLING .. ! the history lesson and walk the around .. SUPERB

Quote Originally Posted by NCGent View Post
    I'm unclear on that to be honest, I found a pic of a plastic model that had glass but that's all. I can't tell if they had glass or what but I can't see them leaving it open because I think I read that it had an "Upper Bridge". Also, any and all pic's of plastic models or the real girl shows tripod masts ending at the base.
    Hi,

I'm by far no expert on the Arizona, I just happened to notice it and spent maybe 10 minutes looking for pictures with the platforms on the masts. The problem, of course, is that the platforms are quite high above the waterline and any view of them is either tilted up a lot (you look through the windows at the ceiling, but not straight through) or from far away (no high reslolution). The series with the foremast partially collapsed is the one most rewarding in this respect. It doesn't show too much details, but it appears that the platform isn't just open space. That's about all I can say right now.

I wouldn't bet on plastic models. Their designer had the same problems you had and he had different structural issues than the naval achitect who designed the real thing.

Anyway, do as you please - it's an excellent model already.

Best regards,
    Volker

The ship's looking beautiful, Chris. Outstanding work. I like that you have the machine guns mounted on the "bird bath" gun tub on the aft mast. That was my friend Harvey Milhorn's General Quarters station, he was up there manning the guns when the ship exploded.

TB, since you are nominally my age, it would appear that your friend survived the experience! I had a friend who as a young man fresh out of boot camp went aboard the newly commissioned Hornet. He was on it the whole year it was in commission, when Doolittle launched his bombers, Midway and Santa Cruze. Amazing year!

Regards. T

I can check some of my sources, but I would expect that the tripod masts continue upwards through the structure. Portholes were generally 12 and 18 inches in diameter, and had a steel backing plate that was hinged and was dogged closed for GQ or heavy weather. Some in conning stations had slits such that some battle visibility was still available. Examples were the bridges of Essex Carriers and Fletcher Destroyers.

Cheers. T

Quote Originally Posted by fliger747 View Post
    TB, since you are nominally my age, it would appear that your friend survived the experience! I had a friend who as a young man fresh out of boot camp went aboard the newly commissioned Hornet. He was on it the whole year it was in commission, when Doolittle launched his bombers, Midway and Santa Cruz. Amazing year!
    Regards. T
    Harvey was able to climb down from the bird bath later in the day when the fires subsided, and was among the last of the Arizona survivors to abandon ship. He stayed in the Navy as a GM (Gunner's Mate) and even did a tour in Vietnam at Com7thFlt Det Charlie in Saigon. One of his prized souvenirs from the Arizona was a shard of dinner china from Adm. Kidd's flag mess, it was given to him by one of the salvage divers.

Here's some pics of USS Texas, taken a few years ago. She has the same sort of tripod mast arrangement. The windows had "shutters" of some sort, so the fact that you can't see the mast poles through may not be significant.

MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

I listened to your suggestions and made some changes to a few thing, you will be able to see them in the screen shots. Few more days and I should be done with her.

Chris

I've always liked the Pennsylvania class battleships' tripod masts configuration. This one's a real classic, Chris. She looks great. Thank you.

Steve
    Duckie

"I hate to see you go, but I love to watch you leave!"

Intel i9-9900K; Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Cooler; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi;
    ASUS Dual RTX 2070 Super OC EVO; Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 3200;
    WD Black 500GB PCIe M.2 SSD; 3 Samsung 860 EVO SSD; WD Black 2TB HDD;
    Corsair RM 850x Gold Full Modular PSU; Phanteks P600S Mid Tower; Win10 Pro
    My SOH Downloads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=79620&sort=d

Wow, Chris --- WOW!!!

- H52
    A tad high and a tad hot is better than a tad low and a tad slow - H52

Quote Originally Posted by NCGent View Post
    I listened to your suggestions and made some changes to a few thing, you will be able to see them in the screen shots. Few more days and I should be done with her.

Chris
    Hi Chris,

thank you very much! It was awesome before and the changes improved it even more. Really looking forward to it.

Best regards,
    Volker

Dam, this is coming together wonderfully, Chris. fantastic work. I know where mine is going when it's released... :salute:
    HP Reverb G2

great looking ship and its not even finished.

Wow! Great progress.
    Keep your airspeed up,

Jagdflieger

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...me=Jagdflieger

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty
    to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
    deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Benjamin Franklin

Absolutely beautiful!

Not at home with my library but did see the Arizona book at a bookstore and checked the plan drawings, the tripod masts do continue up through the levels of the fighting top.

T

Here's a couple pics from my Arizona book by Paul Stillwell showing the tops under construction.

HP Reverb G2

Hey folks

I have been away in the hospital for a while. On a routine exam they found some dark spots on my lungs so they put me in the hospital and started tests then treatment.
    It was found very early and prognosis is very good.
    I've just returned home but will continue treatment for it and tests throughout that time to make sure we are wining. Little ol cancer aint gonna take me down.
    Anyway, I'm gonna get settled back in and in a few days start back on the Arizona and get her released.

Chris