MASH 4077 scenery
Page 1 of 10 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: MASH 4077 scenery

MASH 4077 scenery

Does anyone here know if this scenery has ever been done? I found this photo while searching for images from MASH. I'm thinking about trying to make some of the objects and have a go at it myself. I've got to get a little bit more talented with SketchUp first as I can't seem to get the top of the "Swamp" to look as though it is drooping in some. So far, my tent top is straight lines.

RD

:o)

Don't know if scenery ever done before, but try a few of the martinis in there to get things like the tent bent.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Anderson View Post
    Don't know if scenery ever done before, but try a few of the martinis in there to get things like the tent bent.
    That would be fun. :isadizzy: I'm attaching another photo from my web search. Now this person is a REAL MASH FAN.

RD

I watched MASH like clockwork back in the day. Great idea RD!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rdaniell View Post
    Does anyone here know if this scenery has ever been done? I found this photo while searching for images from MASH. I'm thinking about trying to make some of the objects and have a go at it myself. I've got to get a little bit more talented with SketchUp first as I can't seem to get the top of the "Swamp" to look as though it is drooping in some. So far, my tent top is straight lines.

RD
    Gotta have Radar, Max Klinger and all the rest.... Maybe a few jeeps and 5 o'clock charlie and his plane.

Quote Originally Posted by OleBoy View Post
    I watched MASH like clockwork back in the day. Great idea RD!
    I was in grad school when it was on. Each week a couple other married grad students would join my wife and me for a couple beers and to watch the current week's episode. That was our entertainment for the week as we were all broke. Some of the best times of my life though.

I still watch re-runs. I expect that I've seen every episode at least three times.

RD

Quote Originally Posted by FSX68 View Post
    Gotta have Radar, Max Klinger and all the rest.... Maybe a few jeeps and 5 o'clock charlie and his plane.
    Funny thing that you should make scenery for the Mash 4077...

I've been playing lately with the AN-2 and made myself a personal skin which brings back memories of that particular era and place.

Could you add a small airfield to accomodate my 5 o'clock "AndyCapp"... ?

Nice work RD!

Looking forward to your upload.

Fleurdelys

Quote Originally Posted by fleurdelys View Post
    Funny thing that you should make scenery for the Mash 4077...I've been playing lately with the AN-2 and made myself a personal skin which brings back memories of that particular era and place.Could you add a small airfield to accomodate my 5 o'clock "AndyCapp"... ?

Nice work RD! Looking forward to your upload. Fleurdelys
    This project is nothing more than an idea right now. I don't have any of the scenery objects made yet. As I said above, the first thing I have to learn how to do is get the tent tops to look as though they are tent tops and not roofs.

If I ever get past that and get all the other objects made, I'll consider your request for a landing strip.

RD

Cool idea.

Did somebody say 5 o'clock charlie.
    FS9 model by Chris Herring.

I tried but mine didn't come out very well.
    Intel I7 8700 16gb DDR4 RAM GTX 1060 3GB with Windows 10

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Gdavis101 View Post
    I tried but mine didn't come out very well.
    Yeah, I've been messing with SketchUp on my FSX computer between trying to get this computer unlocked with Dangerous Dave's help. Got the netbook working again. NO JOY with the tent top.

RD

I started a project like this a couple of years ago, was a big MASH fan. I did a bunch of Vietnam war objects for a scenery I was working and in doing so did some older Korean war versions, but then came another, bigger scale Vietnam scenery that everyone jumped on so I went on to other projects. Wouldn't be to hard to do, but for me I need it as realistic as possible visually which means working up some photoreal areas and changing landclass to look like that era since that area and Seoul are extremely populated now..
    Best, Michael

Quote Originally Posted by MCDesigns View Post
    I started a project like this a couple of years ago, was a big MASH fan. I did a bunch of Vietnam war objects for a scenery I was working and in doing so did some older Korean war versions, but then came another, bigger scale Vietnam scenery that everyone jumped on so I went on to other projects. Wouldn't be to hard to do, but for me I need it as realistic as possible visually which means working up some photoreal areas and changing landclass to look like that era since that area and Seoul are extremely populated now..
    Michael, would you be interested in working together with me on a project like this? I don't know doodlie squat about photoreal areas and landclass stuff.
    I can throw together some pretty realistic building objects. The photo I posted in my first post looks like a decent layout.

The "Swamp" is looking a little bit better.

RD

Here's a screen shot of a WIP of the "Swamp."

RD

There used to be a file somewhere for the set at the Paramount Ranch near Agora but it seems to be gone now. Funny this thread came up as I was testing a helo in FSX over that location today. The one I have is very basic and used default objects so anything you guys come up with has got to be loads better. I'll try to get a screen shot in the morning so you can see what I'm talking about as it's sundown in Cali now and the server I use is real time. Best of luck with this.
    AO1 USN Retired
    USS SARATOGA CV-60/ VP-65/HAL-5/VP-0919/VFA-305/NAWS-0176/HCS-5

IYAOYAS
    Naval Aviation Ordnance
    We Are The Arms Of The Fleet

Here's a screen shot of a WIP of the "Swamp." RD
    That looks pretty good. Throw some photoreal textures on it and it'll be perfect.
    Best, Michael

That looks pretty good. Throw some photoreal textures on it and it'll be perfect.
    I'm afraid that's about as good as it's going to get with my current SketchUp abilities. As I stated earlier, I don't know how to use photoreal textures.

RD

Michael, would you be interested in working together with me on a project like this? I don't know doodlie squat about photoreal areas and landclass stuff. I can throw together some pretty realistic building objects. The photo I posted in my first post looks like a decent layout. The "Swamp" is looking a little bit better. RD
    Sure RD, would ,love to help out. I know it supposedly took place around Uijeongbu, South Korea, north of Seoul, so let me do some looking and see what i can come up with. I would possibly like to have it do more than just allow for MASH flights, maybe a few different MASH units and maybe a combat area or two (I have a couple of M4 Sherman tanks). I have a couple of bell 47 scenery objects, can make them animated scenery objects or AI also (but someone else will have to make the flightplans) Would be cool to have a good layout of what Kunsan Air Base or Osan AB looked like in 1950 for fixed wing
    Best, Michael

I'm afraid that's about as good as it's going to get with my current SketchUp abilities. As I stated earlier, I don't know how to use photoreal textures. RD
    i thought that video i posted in the other thread helped with that, I know it did for me since I had no idea how to texture in SU
    Best, Michael

i thought that video i posted in the other thread helped with that, I know it did for me since I had no idea how to texture in SU
    Which thread are you referring to here? I can take images from the web and use them as materials but, haven't had any luck transferring a photo to any of my objects. I've watched the tutorial video on this subject several times. I think it would be great if I ever could master it. I mostly learn from simple trial and error. That's how I just got the top of the "swamp" to appear drooping a little. I just kept drawing lines until I got a solid white or blue surface.

At any rate, if you want a "rookie's" help, I'll be glad to make whatever contribution I can to a project like this. Maybe some of the guys who have that cool AI helicopter program would like to jump into the gaggle.

RD

Hi RD, the youtube video in this thread, it was pretty straightforward on how to texture with custom phototextures http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...3-It-s-a-start I just had a look at the area in sat imagery, amazing how populated it is, but if users are not that big on accuracy, I can see doing some photoreal areas and place a few MASH units around.
    Best, Michael

Hi RD, the youtube video in this thread, it was pretty straightforward on how to texture with custom phototextures http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...3-It-s-a-start I just had a look at the area in sat imagery, amazing how populated it is, but if users are not that big on accuracy, I can see doing some photoreal areas and place a few MASH units around.
    Mercy Me! That's the video that I've watched several times w:isadizzy:ith NO JOY. Maybe if I watch it enough, it will finally click for me.

RD

Banned
    Blog Entries

5 o'clock charlie's plane

After doing research, I learned a little about 5 o'clock charlie's plane:

It actually was a Ryan PT-22. The Ryan PT-22 was a primary trainer for the U.S. Army Air Corps.

Attachment 89460

OK...here's about as good as the "Swamp" is going to get. Still a WIP with a couple things I need to do to it. Thanks go out to Dimus :salute:for his advice on how to "smooth" some edges.

RD

Quote Originally Posted by strikehawk View Post
    There used to be a file somewhere for the set at the Paramount Ranch near Agora but it seems to be gone now.
    Good Job Randy! You are coming along w/ Sketchup quite nicely. I have hiked to what's left of the set at the Malibu State Park. It might be fun to offer an option to place it in California rather than Korea?

Here's some info that may be of use to someone:

http://www.hikespeak.com/trails/mash...ek-state-park/
    http://www.latimes.com/travel/la-trw...0.story?page=2

Regards,
    Obie

Members who have read this thread: 3