Smokey Startup with FSNorthwest Bell 47

Thread: Smokey Startup with FSNorthwest Bell 47

Banned
    Blog Entries

Smokey Startup with FSNorthwest Bell 47

I'm wondering if there is a way to tone down or eliminate the very smokey engine exhaust effects in the FSN Bell 47. It takes IMHO a little too long for it to subside.

See attached photo:

Attachment 89072

Attachment 89073

Yes there is. Just delete the offending effects file from the [EFFECTS] section of the aircraft config file.

RD

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rdaniell View Post
    Yes there is. Just delete the offending effects file from the [EFFECTS] section of the aircraft config file.

RD
    I ALREADY thought of that one!!!! here are the effect files..... pick one oh great randini...

[EFFECTS]
    wake=fx_wake
    water=fx_spray
    dirt=fx_tchdrt
    concrete=fx_sparks
    //startup=fx_engstrt <<< I took the // out and it didn't make a dimes worth of difference. I might add that this happens ONLY upon engine start up you know... the CTRL + E thing?

If I pick an airport and one of these helos, it will be fine, the helo will run with NO smoke.... Go Figure..... :isadizzy:

Just checked my files (same ones i sent to you) and the effect for the startup is commented out.
    These files are unedited by me, so i don't know why your even getting a startup effect like that.
    I'll install the 47 and see if i get the same thing.

[EFFECTS]
    wake=fx_wake
    water=fx_spray
    dirt=fx_tchdrt
    concrete=fx_sparks
    //startup=fx_engstrt

Joe
    I7 6700K @ 4.8 / Gigabyte Z170X UD3 / 16GB G.Skill TridentZ 3200mhz / EVGA GTX 1070 Ti FTW Ultra 8GB / EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
    Samsung 960 Evo NVMe M.2 250gb Boot Drive / 960 Evo 1 TB SSD - Game Drive / WD Blue 500GB SSD - Sim Drive / WD Black 1TB HD
    Fractal Design Celsius S36 AIO Cooler / Fractal Design Define R6 / LG
    32GK850G-B 32" 1440P 144Hz G-Sync Monitor

Well, since that effect was already blanked out, there should be no:isadizzy: smoke. Didn't you say that if you open FSX, pick an airport, and then select the helicopter before starting FSX, you don't get the smoke. It could be a carry over from another airplane. I've had sounds carry over. I also see where buthcerbird17 sent you the helicopter and is going to look at it for you.

"randini" out..as I don't have the helicopter.

RD

Could be wrong, but thought I read some time ago commenting out an effect might revert to a default effect.

The cure might be to leave it active and give it a dummy name.

startup=none

Just installed the 47, and checked to see if there is any startup smoke from a cold and dark state with the commented out effect. I did get a little smoke at start, but soon dissipated (within a second) and all was fine. Maybe your fx_engstrt file is a modified one from another add-on. The stock file size 5.14kb (5/12/2006), check and see if its been edited. If it has not been edited, i'm :isadizzy:.

Joe
    I7 6700K @ 4.8 / Gigabyte Z170X UD3 / 16GB G.Skill TridentZ 3200mhz / EVGA GTX 1070 Ti FTW Ultra 8GB / EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
    Samsung 960 Evo NVMe M.2 250gb Boot Drive / 960 Evo 1 TB SSD - Game Drive / WD Blue 500GB SSD - Sim Drive / WD Black 1TB HD
    Fractal Design Celsius S36 AIO Cooler / Fractal Design Define R6 / LG
    32GK850G-B 32" 1440P 144Hz G-Sync Monitor

I use to get that smoke and I discovered if I shut it down and restart it the smoke would go away .

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Anderson View Post
    Could be wrong, but thought I read some time ago commenting out an effect might revert to a default effect.

The cure might be to leave it active and give it a dummy name.

startup=none

I did what you said and I get no smoke but the wierd thing about it is that file is edited out:

[EFFECTS]
    wake=fx_wake
    water=fx_spray
    dirt=fx_tchdrt
    concrete=fx_sparks
    //startup=fx_engstrt <<<< So why didn't the // STOP the effect? It does if I change it to NONE. Wierd.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Butcherbird17 View Post
    Just installed the 47, and checked to see if there is any startup smoke from a cold and dark state with the commented out effect. I did get a little smoke at start, but soon dissipated (within a second) and all was fine. Maybe your fx_engstrt file is a modified one from another add-on. The stock file size 5.14kb (5/12/2006), check and see if its been edited. If it has not been edited, i'm :isadizzy:.

Joe
    I just checked that file and it is the same size the date on mine is 5/11/2006. I edited it out

[EFFECTS]
    wake=fx_wake
    water=fx_spray
    dirt=fx_tchdrt
    concrete=fx_sparks
    //startup=fx_engstrt <<< Changed this to none and I get NO smoke what so ever. Is there something I could edit within that effect file to change the time/duration of smoke?

Banned
    Blog Entries

Old Smokey SLOVED!!!!

I discovered that if I cold start with CTRL + SHIFT + F4; it will start with a momentary amount of exhaust smoke ( the smoke dissipates within a few seconds) So now I am not spraying for
    mosquetoes. I was starting it with ctrl + E (like you use for fixed wing aircraft)

If you change the engine start effect (see sdk) you would want to rename it before you made changes to the renamed file and use the renamed effect for your startup.

Simpler could be to look in your effects folder and choose an existing one to see if works better for you. e.g. fx_engstrt_ (cub, jenny, ryan, vega, or some addon effect you may have).

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Anderson View Post
    If you change the engine start effect (see sdk) you would want to rename it before you made changes to the renamed file and use the renamed effect for your startup.

Simpler could be to look in your effects folder and choose an existing one to see if works better for you. e.g. fx_engstrt_ (cub, jenny, ryan, vega, or some addon effect you may have).
    Actually I was using the wrong keys to cold start the helo. See my comment above ^ "Old Smokey Solved"

I did think of your suggestion and tried one and all that happened was a little different smoke effect but the smoke remained constantly pouring out.