LOD8_Image

Thread: LOD8_Image

LOD8_Image

For Ground2K and SBuilder users, I've made a tool to get background maps from various tile sources, trimmed to LOD8 size. The maximum zoom is "level 14'", which is about 8 meters per pixel. This produces a map about 5000x5000 pixels, depending on the earth position. The tool requires 2 included .Net DLLs, and uses Net2.0. It is a 32-bit windows program, and should run on all systems.

I can give C# source-code if anyone wants it.

http://www.filesplat.com/.rhumbaflap...LOD8_Image.zip

Dick

Thank you!:salute:

I limited the maximum zoom to level 14 because level 15 can produce images of over 10000x10000 pixels. SBuilder9 bogs down with such large images, and ground2k usually crashes. A level 14 gives about 5000x5000 pixels, but the actual size is determined by the LOD8 location.

Some areas don't support level14 for all sources, but level 13 generally works for all, with a resolution of about 19m/pixel... again depending on location of the LOD8. Some areas will need level 12 for some sources... Level 12 is still 38m/pixel, and not too bad as a background. 4.8meters/pixel is the actual BGL limit, same as resample. Drawing at 38meters/pixel will save some errors in Ground2k, by not placing lines too close together or crossing them.

With the generated TXT file. SBuilder will autoload them... just cancel the calibration popup. Due to the path requirements in a ground2k LWM file, your better off adding the calibration within ground2k, and then saving the LWM file, rather than auto-generating an LWM file.

Changing from one map source to another is pretty interesting. Different ares of the world show different details among the sources. In ground2k, I'll take a BMP ( for ex. 12_ArcGIS_World_Street_Map_8_645_223.bmp ) and copy it as 12_8_645_223.bmp, and use that for the project. The land-water imagery is very good. but I know the 12_OpenStreetMap_8_645_223.bmp has better road definition, so I can copy that as 12_8_645_223.bmp ( overwriting the ArcGIS copy ) and use that for roads upon reloading ground2k... same LWM project, different map.

I included the cache clearing button because it grows tremendously as you scroll about looking at the world in different levels. Better to clear it after a session.

Dick

Dick,

This is such a handy little tool.

As you point out, just comparing the different sources so effortlessly in itself makes this invaluable.

Thanks once again.:greenbo:

New version 1.0.0.2

A new version of the tool:

http://www.filesplat.com/.rhumbaflap...LOD8_Image.zip

The new version saves to a sub-directory named for the LOD8 and also includes a .bpw file for easy loading into a GIS program. The original program link is dead.

Dick

Thanks for the improvements, new version is now even more useful!

Hi Dick,
    the link appears to be dead....

New links for LOD8_Image and LOD5_Image

Hi Sander.

I'm trying a new server for Direct linking:

LOD8_Image.zip

LOD5_Image.zip

The original server ( FileSplat.com ) is not very reliable.

Dick

Hi all.

I'm now on version 3. The version 2 of LOD5_Image produces an image in the wrong projection ( EPSG:3785 for the curious, a special Google Spherical Mercator ). It should be geographic projection ( EPSG:4326 ). This version grabs the LOD5 image, performs some magic using gdalwarp ( included ), and pops out a reprojected image that should work for SBuilder or Ground2k.

LOD5_Image_v3.zip

Dick

Got it - Thank you :salute:

Google has changed the http access to https, it appears. To get google satellite imagery with LOD5 Image or LOD8 Image, please download the following zip file. It contains needed changes to the GMap.NET.Core.dll

GMap.NET.Core.dll.zip

Rename the existing GMap.NET.Core.dll as GMap.NET.Core.dll.old, then unzip the new GMap.NET.Core.dll to the proper locations.

Dick

Hi All.

I have had a request for these programs, but I have lost the files and source codes. Does anyone have them?

Dick

Dick,

I have both LOD5 & LOD8 image v3 from May 2015. PM me with a current email to send them on to.

I've got the files now. Thanks for the help. It will be a few days and I'll have a new version up.

The GMap DLLs have changed, so it needs recompiling.

Dick

Members who have read this thread: 5