More Wozza T-6 Repaint WIP - Page 9
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: More Wozza T-6 Repaint WIP

Quote Originally Posted by olderndirt View Post
    Boy am I confused. In my AT6 file the textures 1 and 2 folders have 28 items (textmod.zip added) while the paints from John Terrell have 48 items. The 1 and 2 planes are perfectly normal while John's paints are visually impaired - missing gear legs, wheel wells and spinner. Could someone with both textures 1 and 2 and John's collection, operating normally, please post a screenie of both texture folder contents so I can sort mine out. Thanks.
    My texture folders have the same number of items as yours - lots of extra ones in John's. You mention textmod.zip, but did you also install fsds_t-6update.zip first?

Olderndirt, I'm not sure what the problem might be (its the first instance I have heard of any of them not displaying properly). I will say that all 46 of the textures that you find in each of my repaints are required to display the repaint as I intend for them to be (none of them are there, just because) - although there are 46 texture files in each of my repaint folders, this is as few as I could make it in order to make each repaint the way I wanted (and not mess with your default textures, or require you to download a new/another "master texture" folder) - all 46, in each repaint, have been made or modified by me for each individual repaint (though there is, in some cases, some overlap between some repaints). The two default paint schemes (Texture.1 and Texture.2) share many of these original files, but of which are located in the main "Texture" folder. My repaints also pull a few textures from the main "Texture" folder.

Gray Eagle, that repaint and all those seen in this thread prior to that post are available. You can find all of them in the library here, by searching "fsds_t-6update.zip" under "Search Text".

It was a lot of work when doing all of those repaints initially, but since that groundwork was laid its been a lot easier now (though it doesn't change that much, how many textures still have to be worked with for each new repaint). There are some superb ones taking shape for an up-coming "Racers" package of Reno Air Racing Texans (including new flight dynamics and sounds), as shown here: http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showth...-WARLOCK-N75AG and http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showth...4-Shiny-Texans
    Lenovo Legion T730 / Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6-5.0 GHz / 130W Liquid Cooling / GeForce RTX 2800 / 32GB DDR4 / MSI 550W PSU / 4K 43" TCL LED TV

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    John,
    I really like the looks of this one...Is it a WIP or available now?

Here you go: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...tid=3&id=16678

Mike

Thanks for the replies. With my track record, there's a personal screwup involved somewhere and I'll find it - eventually.

Here's one I thought was rather interesting. Several squadrons of the 8th AF had Texans as "Hacks", to serve various purposes. This one was operated by the 435th FS, 479th FG, based at Wattisham. It's also one of those cases where, although it was unfortunate that the aircraft ended up coming to grief in a takeoff accident in '45 when operating from Wattisham, it's the only reason why there is a good photo record of the aircraft, including the top-sides and under-sides (otherwise it may never have been photographed at all, let alone in such detail). It allowed me to apply the checkers around the cowl, and the wing markings, correctly. This one has a rightfully more subdued metal finish.

Lenovo Legion T730 / Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6-5.0 GHz / 130W Liquid Cooling / GeForce RTX 2800 / 32GB DDR4 / MSI 550W PSU / 4K 43" TCL LED TV

Wow John!!!

With all these wonderful repaints you created for us, I think this is my next best favorite to the V2 C47; It will be a close 2nd to me.
    Love it!!!!

PLEASE!!!! PLEASE!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    Here's one I thought was rather interesting. Several squadrons of the 8th AF had Texans as "Hacks", to serve various purposes. This one was operated by the 435th FS, 479th FG, based at Wattisham. It's also one of those cases where, although it was unfortunate that the aircraft ended up coming to grief in a takeoff accident in '45 when operating from Wattisham, it's the only reason why there is a good photo record of the aircraft, including the top-sides and under-sides (otherwise it may never have been photographed at all, let alone in such detail). It allowed me to apply the checkers around the cowl, and the wing markings, correctly. This one has a rightfully more subdued metal finish.

I made some more adjustments/modifications to the metal and paint finishes on the "Luke Field" examples.

I also discovered that the nose colors on X-705 were actually blue & white, rather than red & white. It also makes more sense, compared with the original B&W image, and it looks better this way (with the OD glare shield).

Since I then didn't have a red & white cowl version, I just had to find one and make one that actually did have those colors.

They also came with solid yellow noses, at Luke Field...

And here are a few more shots of the other two with updates/modifications. Note I made sure through all of these, that they are all roughly from the same time period (1942). I may, eventually, make a few 1941 and 1944/45 Luke Field examples.

you air are killing me......lol......

I don't have work tomorrow (due to the cold), so I'll do my best to get these wrapped-up and uploaded as soon as I can (still many more in mind, from other wartime training groups/airfields).

John,l'm currentlyreading the history of Area 51 and would love to take these birds for a spin over the SW United States. Will make for some fun cross-country flying! These look marvelous!
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Thank you all for the feedback and compliments!

I've just finished uploading all of my latest repaints - 14 new ones in all, in four different packs:

- Five Texans all from Luke Field, all circa 1942.
    - Three Texans from the 8th Air Force (examples from the 479th FG, 339th FG, and 353rd FG).
    - Two factory fresh AT-6F Texans (one USAAF, the other Russian - both from the same production time).
    - Four Texans from the British Flight Training Schools (No.1 BFTS Terrell Field, TX (Terrell Aviation School), No.4 BFTS Falcon Field, AZ (Southwest Airways), and No.6 BFTS Ponca City, OK (Darr School for Aeronautics)).

One of the great things about making repaints for this aircraft is that I found out about an interesting part of WWII that I hadn't known beforehand...

In 1941, the U.S. established a "British Flight Training School" program that would enlist aviation schools in the U.S. to provide basic and advanced flight training to RAF cadets. This would allow RAF pilots to train far from unfriendly skies. There would be seven of these schools in all:

No.1 - Terrell Aviation School at Terrell, TX
    No.2 - Polaris Flight Academy at Lancaster, CA
    No.3 - Spartan School at Miami, OK
    No.4 - Southwest Airways at Phoenix, AZ
    No.5 - Riddle-McKay Aero School at Clewiston, FL
    No.6 - Darr School of Aeronautics at Ponca City, OK
    No.7 - Aviation Enterprises, Ltd. at Sweetwater, TX

The first, and largest, was located in Terrell, TX (a town named after a pioneer resident, and a very distant relative of mine). After the U.S. became involved with the war, American pilots were also trained at these schools (flying PT-17's, PT-19's, BT-13's, and AT-6's). By the end of the war, over 2,000 British and American combat pilots earned their wings at the Terrell Aviation School. Each year a warbird air show is held at the Terrell, TX airport, and there is a museum at the airport that commemorates the story of the British Flight Training Schools (they are currently in the process of restoring an AT-6 for display).

Here are the two repaints I made of Texans that operated at Terrell Field and some historic photos from the Terrell Aviation School during WWII:

Last edited by Bomber_12th; January 7th, 2014 at 13:39.

And here are a couple more BFTS Texans:

No.6 BFTS Ponca City, OK (the "B" prefix of the code simply stood for "British").

No.4 BFTS Falcon Field, Phoenix, AZ (the "BP" prefix stood for "British Phoenix"). Note that this school, operated by Southwest Airways, stripped all of the USAAF markings from the aircraft (all of these being civilian schools).

Here are some shots of the 8th Air Force Texans.

479th Fighter Group. The actual aircraft: http://www.ww2color.com/nennius/weba...mary_key=05344

339th Fighter Group (this one would also operate later with the 7th Photo Recon Group, in the same markings/colors). The actual aircraft: http://www.ww2color.com/nennius/weba...mary_key=04527

353rd Fighter Group (same markings as the restored G-TDJN, but on weathered bare-metal finish). The actual aircraft: http://www.ww2color.com/nennius/weba...mary_key=09172

And here are some shots of the "Factory Fresh Duo". These two were photographed by the North American Aviation PR in 1945, at the same time, both fresh from the factory - one destined for the USAAF, the other for Russia. Both are AT-6F's, so they have the rectangular hatch on the port-side (like most Harvards). It illustrates what the AT-6 production lines were like, with one batch going to one nation's air force, and the next batch, right after it, going to another. Note the close proximity of the serial numbers. Note too that the Russian example, with the exception of the red stars, was built to the same specifications as any other, with US stencils and even a USAAF serial number assigned (in my work with the P-39, I've noticed on all of the Russian examples that they all retained the US (english) stencils and USAAF serial numbers, and were even delivered with full USAAF stars & bars (over-painted with Russian stars in the field)).

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    And here are a couple more BFTS Texans:

No.6 BFTS Ponca City, OK (the "B" prefix of the code simply stood for "British").

Love this one John! Awesome work... all of them!!!

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

You truly are Master of the Six, John. Thank you for these; they're splendid!

N.

John - a sidebar to your post on the RAF training locations. In addition to Clewiston, Mr Riddle operated Carlstrom Field, just south of Arcadia, Florida. A group of cadets who died in training are buried at the Arcadia cemetary under a 24/7 Union Flag. A small memorial service is held annually with visiting RAF dignatories. Mr Riddle is buried alongside these cadets, top row furthest left.

Must have made a fox paw - two images of the same thing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RAF Memorial 4.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	172.4 KB 
ID:	2415Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RAF Memorial 3.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	68.4 KB 
ID:	2416
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RAFMemorial3.jpg  

A Few Images of the ferry flight across Nevada in the factory fresh! Great work John!! Fabulous as always!

MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Hello,

I'm digging up this thread because I'm looking for a French texture for Warwick 'Wozza' Carter's T-6!
    There is a very nice texture for the French naval aviation, that of the F-AZYT of the 54S, but it only applies to the Harvard of Alphasim!!!
    here: https://flyawaysimulation.com/downlo...american-at-6/
    Could some forum artist make it for Wozza's excellent T-6?
    Thanks in advance!

Alain
    -

Members who have read this thread: 69