More Wozza T-6 Repaint WIP
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: More Wozza T-6 Repaint WIP

More Wozza T-6 Repaint WIP

I've pretty much finished my from-the-ground-up base texture work for the Wozza Texan (though they could use some more refining), so I slapped some paint on it recreating one of my favorites flying today. The real-life aircraft is owned by Paul Ehlen (once owner of the P-51D "Little Horse" and current owner of P-51D "Sierra Sue II") and based out of Flying Cloud airport in Eden Prairie, Minnesota. This aircraft is painted in the same markings it had when it was operated as an instrument trainer during WWII at Craig Field, and is one of the most authentic AT-6 restorations flying today. Although an AT-6D, and not normally associated with such, the restored aircraft is fitted with a nose cone as some examples seen in photos from Craig Field during WWII also sported nose cones.

I still have to add the correct prop blur (to match the authentic period prop textures), add new landing gear strut textures, a new tail wheel tire texture (getting rid of the white text), and do some wheel well color adjustment. The textures include new bump maps to follow with the fact that many of the panel lines and rivets have been changed, and new details added to the fabric control surfaces on the tail, etc. This one is an all-over silver painted example, though there will be some bare metal ones (of varying degrees of polish) to come.

WOW - Those are very nice photos of a real plane

Excellent +what those other guys said!

Cant wait
    Roshane"Python" Samarasekara

Who said Kiwis can't fly?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    i5 3570K @ 4.6ghz | Asrock Z77 Extreme4 | G.Skill 16GB Ares | EVGA Nvidia GTX 660 SC | Coolermaster X6 Heatsink | Corsair C70 Case | Seasonic 620W PSU

Beautiful!
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

The fact that YOU are working on a repaint for this plane is one of the best news of today for me.
    I can't wait to see the final result.

Very nice!
    Mike

Wow, very impressive!

Greetings
    Tim
    Greetings
    Tim

i5 12600K | 32Gb | RTX 4080

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    This one is an all-over silver painted example, though there will be some bare metal ones (of varying degrees of polish) to come.
    Wow, John, I love the way you make the marked difference between painted silver and unpainted polished aluminium. This paint looks superb, and I am anxiously waiting to see how the bare metal one will be. Do you plan to offer your work as a paintkit for us? I might be using the painted aluminium as a base for some HAF repaints from the 50's. I will understand of course if you release just the paints.

Attachment 88125
    Attachment 88126

Wow John! Great paintwork again. You are definitely my favourite metal painter (or aluminium dope )!

Cheers,
    Huub

Some nice work there John. It looks real nice.

Excellent work John!!

Here's the Collings Foundation's own AT-6F Texan.

Attachment 88159
    "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses". - Elwood
    Learn more about the mission of the Collings Foundation here - www.collingsfoundation.org
    Collings Foundation Facebook page - http://www.facebook.com/collings.foundation

A beautiful piece of work.
    "Somewhere out there is Page 6!"
    "But Emilo you promised! It's postpone"

ASWWIAH Member

South Chesterfield Virginia, United States
    Blog Entries
    Looks outstanding John!!!! WOW!:isadizzy:

john.....please put this one out with no markings except maybe a small N number under the horiz. stabs, and the anti glare.

Thank you all for the replies, it is quite surprising, thank you! It's good to know there is some interest! I've had so many repaint ideas bottled up I started to jot them down last night (amongst those does happen to be the "Collings Foundation" example, as well as an all-over silver example with anti-glare and n-number as you describe, John (along with a Pratt & Whitney sticker on each side of the cowl) - there will be some delivery schemes, such as USAAF factory fresh and USSR factory fresh, as well). When I got as many as 30 written down, I stopped. : )

Dimus, in regards to your question, I definitely wouldn't mind putting the layers/files together into paintkit form and making it available as well, and I will plan on doing so. It might not be to everyone's interests though, as I have kept all of the textures in their native 1024x1024 size, rather than scaling them up as others have done, as after having had several starts at making a texture base for this aircraft at that resolution, I found that certain items just were easier to deal with, and would look better over-all, when left as is.

Last night and then again tonight I pretty much completely re-did the fuselage textures over again, after having found evidence that I could have the panel lines and rivets be as accurate as I was hoping for - the details you see in the fuselage textures now are fairly darn accurate. I also spent some time on making the silver paint look less like metal (the metal 'effect' will be increased on the bare-metal examples). Everything is done on this one except for a few anomalies that I noticed when taking these latest shots - I must have without knowing changed the texture for the tail wheel strut to green (I've changed the gear wells and main landing gear strut textures), so that will need correcting back to silver, and I'd like to darken the chrome rods on the engine a bit.

These will be the last screens I post of this one until I have it uploaded (other repaints I will just upload first and then post some screens after they're available).

Beauty!
    Greenhouse357

Magnificent!!!

I was debating on buying one of the payware versions of the T-6 but really couldn't justify it what with having this great freeware one. I just wished there were more nice repaints for it . . .

Wish granted

Great work! Look forward to the repaints.

Here's some pics of the Collings Foundation T-6 nose and fuselage details you might find helpful.

Attachment 88163Attachment 88164
    "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses". - Elwood
    Learn more about the mission of the Collings Foundation here - www.collingsfoundation.org
    Collings Foundation Facebook page - http://www.facebook.com/collings.foundation

John, 1024 would be more than fine. A layered psd, or even a bare silver or bare metal base texture ala Carenado style would be great.

Can`t wait,John!
    Mike

What a difference in the Wozza T6. A nice sight to see John.
    I looked at the textures for this one quite some time back with intentions of a repaint or two. I've always liked the looks of the Texan. Then I got into my own projects and forgot all about painting.

Looking forward to having your work!

Absolutely awesome screens John. it amazes me what a difference it makes to an aircraft when models are painted with such detail and material effects.

maybe the Kerit Weeks T-6 is an idea to do too. This would fit perfectly to Dimus his scenery he made for FA08 Fantasy of Flight. i got that scenery this weekend and i love it!

kind regards,

Meso
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Core 2duo E 8400 @ 3.00 GHz
    MSI 48C Platinum
    nVidia 8800GTX 768MB
    Corsair 4GB DDR 3