Aero Commander 685 project

Thread: Aero Commander 685 project

Aero Commander 685 project

Hi!

I am new to modelling, and I am mainly doing this for my home cockpit project. I always loved the Commanders, but I have an extra soft spot for the 685.
    The 3D model is made with AC3D, and exported as 3ds to GMAX. I got it flying in FSX, but it is a very basic model without textures and animation.
    A lot of work is still to be done. The only part nearing completion is the fuslage. The rest is just dummyparts for apperance. I have to redo them all.

If anyone would like to join in making animations and texture mapping, please let me know. I can do it in AC3D, but GMAX is to heavy. The model can also be exported to X-Plane, but I have not made any flight model yet.
    I just added the 3D part to another model for testing.

Regards
    Rotorhub
    Attachment 87956Attachment 87957Attachment 87958

Rotohub,

That looks like very promising work there.

Not sure what you are using for 3-views but I have quite a few that may be helpful to you if you are interested, along with some nice detailed exterior specs.

I cannot help with modeling, animation, and mapping since you are doing this in 3DSMax for FSX but you are welcome to have the drawings and specs I have.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Hi Milton
    Thanks for your reply. I bought a maintenance and flight manual online. It's for the 75-81 model (Gulfstream).

It got several drawings, but I am not sure of the quality. When I overlay several of them in Photoshop, they don't line up 100%. So the accuracy is uncertain.

So if you can supply some other drawings, that would be great. I wish I had som cross sections for shaping the fuselage.
    The model converts nicely to GMAX. It is a low polymodel and I got all parts separated. And they are all editable.

I have set up GMAX with the FSX SDK. It exports without any problems, with FSX materials only. No textures yet tough.

The model will not be the level of detail as seen in your Commanders.
    There will not be a functional VC, since I only will use the 2D panel.

However, the source (ac3d, gmax, 3ds) will be available for those who will do some work on it.

By the way. Thank you for your support and efforts to the simulator community.
    Attachment 87982Attachment 87983
    Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Rotohub,

That looks like very promising work there.

Not sure what you are using for 3-views but I have quite a few that may be helpful to you if you are interested, along with some nice detailed exterior specs.

I cannot help with modeling, animation, and mapping since you are doing this in 3DSMax for FSX but you are welcome to have the drawings and specs I have.

See if these help. Some are ref for dimensions only.

Heading out of town shortly so this is brief.

May have more and will share if found.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Thank you, that helped!
    See if these help. Some are ref for dimensions only.

Heading out of town shortly so this is brief.

May have more and will share if found.

Ac685 new 3D model

The reference pictures helped a lot. Now I have more correct shape. Thanks Milton!
    Attachment 88615Attachment 88616Attachment 88617Attachment 88618

Wow! That is looking great!
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Main fuslage updated

The cutouts in the main fuselage is done To boolean or not to boolean, that is the question. Handmade works best in AC3D.
    Attachment 89246Attachment 89247Attachment 89248Attachment 89249

That is looking awesome so far Rotorhub

BTW, did you catch that roof line 2" drop over the wing. See the drawings I sent; one shows the measured drop. I can't see if you got that or not.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Yes i got the drop, its just not visible from this view.

It is a 2 inch drop from the cabin to the rear fuselage. The station drawing is very useful for this. It is also my reference for the window and door section. The numbers between stations superseeds the drawings. But it is fairly spot on. There are still a lot of details and corrections to do with the fuselage, but I have a lot of images for reference as well. It is the tail, that have some missing details. The joining of the stab surface and fuselage is a bit confusing. But I am getting there slowly. The rest of the parts is just for visualising at this stage.

Thanks for looking in!

Regards
    Rotorhub

That is looking awesome so far Rotorhub

BTW, did you catch that roof line 2" drop over the wing. See the drawings I sent; one shows the measured drop. I can't see if you got that or not.

*BUMP* Any progress on this Rotohub? :-)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Members who have read this thread: 9