Easiest Upgrade I've Ever Done (Doh!)

Thread: Easiest Upgrade I've Ever Done (Doh!)

Easiest Upgrade I've Ever Done (Doh!)

Doing my research for a new build I suddenly realized I had never installed an HDMI cable to my current Dell monitor.

Ran out and got one, plugged it in downloaded new version of Catalyst Control Center and ....

WHAM!! Suddenly I'm at full High Def!!

Of course, I've been running for two years on a DVI cable --not using the GPU to it's full potential....but we're not going to mention that again, are we?
    Basic Flying Rules: "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there."

We could mention something but who going to after we see the screen results posted .. but today so many .. to remembers and even a simple driver update .. or even FSX doing the funky chicken .... again .. now I sound like a Forest .. a Forest Gump <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();} else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();} else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();} else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

DVI = HDMI ÷ Sound

Sorry but You should have been able to have the same quality with DVI as with HDMI.
    That means that only if Your Monitor has build in speakers does the change from DVI to HDMI make sense.

Charter Member 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Wothan View Post
    DVI = HDMI ÷ Sound

Sorry but You should have been able to have the same quality with DVI as with HDMI.
    That means that only if Your Monitor has build in speakers does the change from DVI to HDMI make sense.
    Yep, DVI can also provide HD content, it just can't carry the audio stream to the monitor.
    I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

My monitor is supposedly HDMI capable, but the display,looks like caca....NC

I agree HDMI=DVI+sound. TeaSea, were you by any chance converting the DVI output to VGA with an adaptor? That would be making the signal analog.

I'm tracking, that was my understanding as well --that HDMI's biggest benefit was the sound capability. However, when I switched cables I was able to increase the fidelity of the monitor. If I disconnect and switch back to HDMI (which I just tested), I cannot get the higher resolution. The difference appears to be adjusting the scaling.

No scaling requirement (or even the option) with the DVI Cable. Max Resolution is at 1920 x 1080, which is actually HD.

After a cable switch I must re-scale (overscan) to fill the screen. That takes the Max resolution to 1920 x 1208 which is a very noticeable change.

Color on both is 32 Bit True Color, refresh rate is 50 Mhz. These are identical on both cables. Pixelation format is identical at 4:4:4.

This monitor still has an analog capability (VGA) Dimus, but I was not using an adapter so I was digital all along. That is however, the kind of thing I would do...so good thing to ask. You are conversing with the man who mistakenly began to re-format his back up HDD after the crash of his primary HDD (that was fun--fortunately recovered everything after the fact).

I'd be interested in what anyone else has experienced.
    Basic Flying Rules: "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there."