Duxford Spring Air Show (pic-heavy)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Duxford Spring Air Show (pic-heavy)

Duxford Spring Air Show (pic-heavy)

So, the time of year has arrived, where the aircraft are exactly where they should be, in the sky. So, I figured I'd do what I'd like to make the norm, and post some stuff from yesterdays Spring Air Show at Duxford, seeing as you guys are all into your aviation.

Not FSX related, but this area of the forum seems to have a lot of enthusiasts, so I thought you'd like these

It was a day blessed with glorious sunshine, un-clouded for the entire day and pretty nasty for distance photography as a result. But this years new toys, the 7D, 100-400 L, Tamron 10-24 and Canon 17-40 f4 L performed admirably, and I'm really pleased I decided to blow £3000+ to change systems.

I started the day with a 16-shot photostitch from the spectators side. Not great as the sun isn't in a friendly place at that time in the morning.

In this shot you can see two of the aircraft I was excited to see in the air together, Snafu/War Eagle (P-47 Razorback), Princess Elizabeth (P-51C, recently shipped over from California).

Full size http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7324/8...d242e162_o.jpg

Eventually the flightline opened so I could get some decent close-ups.

Snafu/War Eagle - Owned by The Fighter Collection and a member of the newly formed Eagle Squadron

Princess Elizabeth - Commanche Warbirds/Eagle Squadron

And both of them (photostitch for width!)

I've got loads of ground shots, but what I really bought the new kit for was the airborne shots. All turned out well. Sure I had a lot of misses, as is to be expected when you're slowing down shutter speeds to keep the prop-blur.

Pitts

P-40F, Lee's Hope - The Fighter Collection

P-40B - The Fighter Collection

P-51D, Miss Velma - Old Flying Machine Company/The Fighter Collection

Westland Lysander - The Shuttleworth Collection

Cont'd.....

Hawker Hunter T.7 - Graham Peacock

Hispano HA-1112 Buchon - Aircraft Restoration Company

Harvards - The Fighter Collection/Aircraft Restoration Company

Eagle Squadron, in their first performance, flying in formation with the Red Arrows. A really special sight

F-86 Sabre - Golden Apple Operations Ltd (I have a lot of detail shots of this one from the flightline if anyone fancies repainting it. PM me if you like)

A couple from Eagle Squadrons pairs routine.

A solo display from the Breitling wingwalkers

BBMF

A couple of Tiger Moths (I really must go up in one of these two someday. My credit card is screaming for it!)

PT-17 Stearman - Golden Apple Operations Ltd

RV8

Red 10 Arriving for the Reds commentary

And some from the Red Arrows

What a feast for the eyes!

Wonderful shots all of them. You did a great job! :salute:

Thank you for sharing them with us.

They are great, thank you for putting them up
    You take it easy.. and have a nice day

Wonderful photographs thank you PrivateCustard.

Bruce.

Many thanks for sharing these awesome photos ! Well done.
    Especially appreciated are the Lizzie shots of course :-)
    François A. 'Navman' Dumas
    Retired - FSAddon Publishing
    Umbria, Italy

https://fssupport.com/fsblog/

Outstanding professional-grade pics! Very impressive.

Very nice pic's indeed - thank you for sharing!

I'm off to Cosford Air Show in a couple of weeks so hopefully it'll be a good show.

Dave.

The 100-400 looks to be an awesome bit of glass !
    François A. 'Navman' Dumas
    Retired - FSAddon Publishing
    Umbria, Italy

https://fssupport.com/fsblog/

Thanks guys, glad you liked 'em

And Francois, the Lizzie was fantastic, a lovely little aircraft that was surprisingly agile! The 100-400 has been a bit of a surprise. People said it would be softer than the 400mm 5.6 prime, but I think I've been sent a really sharp copy, for which I feel really blessed

And Dave, if the weather holds for Cosford, you should have a great day

Just to add a nice touch to the day, 91 year old triple-ace Bud Anderson (P-51, Old Crow) was a special guest. He went for a ride in the rear seat of Miss Velma

Members +
    [QUOTE=PrivateCustard;808666]Just to add a nice touch to the day, 91 year old triple-ace Bud Anderson (P-51, Old Crow) was a special guest. He went for a ride in the rear seat of Miss Velma

A great job! Thanx Much!..Its Memorial Day and seeing Bud Anderson is great...:salute:

I missed it again? I live in the states so it's likely I will continue to miss it, but your pictures sure go a long way toward making up for it. I really like the first pic stitched together from the flight line. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you PrivateCustard for sharing these brilliant photos from yesterday's displays at Duxford! Yesterday marked the 70th Anniversary of the USAAF moving into RAF Duxford, where the 78th Fighter Group (black & white checkerboard noses) would call home.

Today, the four-ship "Eagle Squadron" is flying with the B-17 "Sally B" over selected bases in England where the 8th Air Force operated from during WWII. These include Bassingborn, Mildenhall, Bodney, Snetterton, Thorpe Abbotts, Halesworth, Leiston, North Weald, and Debden (not to mention Duxford itself). Joining them will be Bud Anderson in the back of the TP-51D "Miss Velma", to take it all in.

The pilots of the "Eagle Squadron" display team are Paul Bonhomme, Steve Hinton, Ed Shipley, and Dan Friedkin (the last three of course being the three pilots of the "Horsemen" display team). For those that may not catch it, the Hurricane is painted in the markings of P3886 of 601 Sqd., that was flown by American pilot Carl Davis (one of 11 American pilots that flew with the RAF during the Battle of Britain). The Spitfire, a Mk.1a variant, is painted in the markings of an actual Eagle Squadron aircraft that was flown by American pilot William R. Dunn. Dunn became an ace with the RAF between May and August 1941.
    Lenovo Legion T730 / Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6-5.0 GHz / 130W Liquid Cooling / GeForce RTX 2800 / 32GB DDR4 / MSI 550W PSU / 4K 43" TCL LED TV

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    snip
    Glad you like the shots, and thanks for adding a nice bit of info to the thread

EDIT: Here they are in formation yesterday.

Looks like it was a gorgeous day, thanks for sharing these!
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Wonderful shots, PrivateCustard!

What camera and lens did you use to capture those? Just curious, as the EXIF data was stripped during the resize or upload process.

Great shots!

I recently upgraded to the 7D myself (from the XTi/400D). I rented a 100-400L for our airshow last year and I would agree... your new copy seems to be extra sharp! The rental didn't do nearly as good as your new L but I had a few shots that I thought were really good. (however for the airshow I still had my XTi so wasn't able to shoot with the high ISO). I'll probably end up getting a 100-400L, but maybe buy it off amazon where I can return it if the copy isn't sharp. It really seems to be hit and miss these days with canon L glass.

What ISO settings did you use for the 100-400L shots?

Getting the prop to blur on all those shots is really nice! The RV is so crisp well done! I can also see how crisp the 17-40L was working for you. I've got a 15-85 which can be stellar and horrible at almost the same time. Vignetting and barrel distortion is a huge problem on that lens. How is it on the 17-40?

I recently got a nifty fifty (the middle of the road f1.4L) - and it's been a love hate relationship but I'm learning it more every day.

100-400L
    FAA ZMP
    PPL ASEL

| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | EVGA GTX1080 Ti | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X |

Quote Originally Posted by hairyspin View Post
    Looks like it was a gorgeous day, thanks for sharing these!
    Quote Originally Posted by DennyA View Post
    Wonderful shots, PrivateCustard!

What camera and lens did you use to capture those? Just curious, as the EXIF data was stripped during the resize or upload process.
    Cheers guys

Denny, I used the 7D/100-400 L for the flight shots, and the Tamron 10-24 and Canon 17-40L for the ground shots. I linked to my flickr page, but I linked the re-sized 1024 pixel versions. flickr have changed a few things recently, but you should hopefully be able to see it still...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/private_custard/

Ryan, that is a stunning shot, really nice indeed

The prop blur was really tricky, but I went in knowing I was going to have a fairly high miss rate. I reckon 80% of my shots would be useable, about 10% were well above average and slightly less than that were properly good ones.

ISO speeds varied. For the prop blur, I went down to 160 or 200 and upped the aperture to anywhere from f10 to f16. I had to change frequently depending not only on the variety of prop speeds of different aircraft, but also what they were doing at any given time. I have a lot of room for improvement, but that's why I love the hobby!

The 17-40 L can be utterly stunning. Some of the 100% crops are ridiculous!

Oh, and one other thing, as they said in Korea, if it smokes, it's friendly!

Great Work! :ernae:

And a salute to veterans :salute:
    When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.
    Henny Youngman

Hi, absolutely great shots! I was there too also trying out a new camera, couldn't afford to upgrade lenses at this point though!

Here's a couple of mine from yesterday of Miss Velma:

Attachment 87835

Attachment 87836

Attachment 87837

Great photo's guys,,thanks for all the info...i'd sent bud an email yesterday and was wondering why he hadnt answered me..hes usually pretty prompt...lol...now i see why....LOL...i was reading the latest issue of the "Mustangs magazine",and they have a great photo of him and three others (whos names escape me right at the moment),but Bud looks every bit his 22 years old that the author states his age to be...he had a real babyface in the two pics in the story...im sure bomber12 can back me up on this..he really looks young..

BTW..id didnt raz him..just said he looked "good" and "sprite"...lol

Wow, those pictures are fantastic. Looks like it was a great airshow.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]