New FSX Polikarpov Po-2 (U-2)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New FSX Polikarpov Po-2 (U-2)

New FSX Polikarpov Po-2 (U-2)

"SWingman" has just made available his most recent production, a brand new FSX-native model of the Polikarpov Po-2.

Download here (if you don't know your way around the page, to download just click on the link that reads "HTTP EU Direct"):

http://www.avsim.su/f/fsx-originalni...ad&hl=swingman

It should also show up at Flightsim.com within the next day. According to Alex, the aircraft has 3d gages and sounds recorded from an M-11 engine. Getting ready to take my first flight with it shortly.
    Lenovo Legion T730 / Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6-5.0 GHz / 130W Liquid Cooling / GeForce RTX 2800 / 32GB DDR4 / MSI 550W PSU / 4K 43" TCL LED TV

Thanks John! Downloading now!

Jonathan

Great news John!

I hope there will be repaints
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Great stuff:ernae:

SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Here are some first impressions. Absolute excellence as always from Alex.

A few really neat details - the rocker arms and connecting rods on the pistons move up and down when the engine is running (which you can also see from the cockpit). Check El Super Ad and Family Dollar Ad. One of the views provided puts you in front of the aircraft, as part of the VC model, and allows you to click on the prop as if you were hand-propping it to get it started.

There are quite a number of these aircraft flying today, and with collections as well known as Shuttleworth, the Flying Heritage Collection, and Fantasy of Flight.

Lenovo Legion T730 / Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6-5.0 GHz / 130W Liquid Cooling / GeForce RTX 2800 / 32GB DDR4 / MSI 550W PSU / 4K 43" TCL LED TV

As has been the case with a number of aircraft lately, one can say "there's a Kermie Cam for that..."

Wow, looks good

Nice to see Swingman's talent evolving - and going FSX native.

I also find it very exciting to see him take on classic soviet aircraft (many to choose from that haven't been "fsxed"). Swingman, if you're reading this kudos to you sir!

Owen.

Swingman is really at the top of his game here. Fantastic work in every regard. All I can say is: keep 'em coming!!

I could only imagine the nerve it took to fly one of these at night into combat conditions.

[I also find it very exciting to see him take on classic soviet aircraft (many to choose from that haven't been "fsxed"). Swingman, if you're reading this kudos to you sir!
    +1
    -Mark

Looking very nice indeed !
    François A. 'Navman' Dumas
    Retired - FSAddon Publishing
    Umbria, Italy

https://fssupport.com/fsblog/

Thanks for the HU!!! Makes my rainy day Looks great!

Alex
    Dont grow up! ... It´s a trap!

Thank you for the HU, John !

Was hoping for this plane ever since I saw it in "Le Grand Duc" by Romain Hugault...

Now, if we could "womanize" the pilots' faces, we would be all set for the "Witches of the Night"...

Love the sounds and animations...

With a wee bit of imagination, one could sniff the oily Chvetsov ...

Thank you SWingman...

Fleurdelys

Thanks John!!! Been waiting for one of these.

Quote Originally Posted by fleurdelys View Post
    Now, if we could "womanize" the pilots' faces, we would be all set for the "Witches of the Night"...
    Yes. too bad the flight crew are male as my avatar would have felt quite at home again!
    Matt

Great job Alex. I love the attention to detail, and the engine animations. Great immersion factor.

Thank you.

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    Looks great, but it immediately overstresses as soon as the sim or aircraft is done loading......
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

[QUOTE=Bomber_12th;808290]"SWingman" has just made available his most recent production, a brand new FSX-native model of the Polikarpov Po-2.

Great Plane! For those having crashes upon loading. The default g limit in aircraft cfg are 0 which causes an immediate "overload". I dont know proper values but +2/-2 will avoid crashes in realism mode "hard"

Quote Originally Posted by Ferry_vO View Post
    Looks great, but it immediately overstresses as soon as the sim or aircraft is done loading......
    Found that too. Disabling crash detection works (also):mixedsmi:.
    TFZ-034
    "I fought the law and the law won ..."

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    [QUOTE=narah;808429]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post

Great Plane! For those having crashes upon loading. The default g limit in aircraft cfg are 0 which causes an immediate "overload". I dont know proper values but +2/-2 will avoid crashes in realism mode "hard"
    Thanks for the tip! It works great!
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Quote Originally Posted by OleBoy View Post
    Great job Alex. I love the attention to detail, and the engine animations. Great immersion factor.

Thank you.
    Nothing to add,fantastic work.
    Mike

re the Overstressing, I took the "g" settings from an earlier Po-2 by Designers: visual model - Goncharov Igor, flight model - Belov Aleksander from a 2005 model of this aircraft file name PO2-FSX.ZIP which I think I also got from Avsim.ru ages ago.
    They seem to solve the problem.
    Also for FS9 fans this a/c was covered by Ralf Kreibich to a very high standard in 2009 file name polikpo2.zip - probably at Avsim.

In case the first is hard to find the text for the g settings is a follows. I have no idea what the settings mean I just find they work.

positive_g_limit_flaps_up=4.000000
    positive_g_limit_flaps_down=2.000000
    negative_g_limit_flaps_up=-1.500000
    negative_g_limit_flaps_down=-1.500000
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Lovely detail on this, very nice VC, and it flies well. Ants Tiger Moth has got a new pal to fly with.

Quote Originally Posted by aeronca1 View Post
    Thanks John!!! Been waiting for one of these.

Yes. too bad the flight crew are male as my avatar would have felt quite at home again!
    Bonjour Matt,
    "Womanizing" works only partly due to all of your avatar's medals falling a wee bit "flat", if you follow my drift...

I placed two new faces (one of them being a younger Meryl Streep) on the pilot and copilot with acceptable success, I believe...

I wonder if the author would care making an option for female pilot figures...

I just love this biplane !

Cheers,

Fleurdelys

SWingman made a beautiful Po-2

I finally got around to downloading this old Russian kite and is it ever fine

even if you don't think you're a fan of this type of aircraft , you should still try it out - it might change your mind it's that good - and it's free
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

Here's a picture of Paul Allen's. I saw it at the Flying Heritage Collection last week.
    If a man speaks in the forest and there is no woman there to hear him, is he still wrong?

New Czech repaint released:
    http://www.avsim.su/f/fsx-livrei-i-t...n=download&hl=

For those flying this as much as I have, I made a couple of personal, quick modifications that increase my enjoyment:

1. Added a pop-up comm radio, transponder, and GPS. Add the following to your panel.cfg prior to the VC section:

[Window Titles]
    Window01=Radio
    Window02=GPS

[Window01]
    BACKGROUND_COLOR=0,0,0
    size_mm=545,354
    window_size=0.5,0.3625
    position=1
    visible=0
    ident=RADIO_STACK_PANEL

gauge00=Handheld_Radio!radio,0,0
    gauge17=Bendix_King_Radio!Bendix-King Radio Xpndr,22, 128

[Window02]
    size_mm=545,354
    window_size=0.5,0.3625
    position=2
    BACKGROUND_COLOR=0,0,0
    VISIBLE=0
    ident=GPS_PANEL

gauge00=fs9gps!gps_295, 0,0

2. Along with that, I noticed that partial electrical failures occur after a few minutes of flight. This is due to an alternator/generator function not being established in the aircraft.cfg and not being mapped to a VC switch. Without this, you may notice the inability to use the radio functionality after a few minutes, and the turn/slip indicator may stop functioning properly (the needle portion).

I added the following to the aircraft.cfg in the [electrical] section:

[electrical]
    electric_always_available=0
    max_battery_voltage=24.0
    generator_alternator_voltage=25 (was previously set at 0)

Additionally, I mapped the FSX function for generator/alternator to a joystick button, which I turn on when starting the aircraft.

3. Finally, as a personal choice, I swapped out the existing soundset with the FS9-era Curtiss Jenny sounds. I noticed the existing/included soundset sometimes "sticks" at certain power settings, so you can be at idle but the aircraft may sound like it is at full power, for example. Additionally, the full Jenny soundset sounds (to me) closer to how the real thing sounds when in the VC, based on the Kermit Weeks videos. Again, personal preference. Note: The already included soundset does use some files from the Jenny soundset, but I opted to use all of them.

Overall, it's a fantastic, enjoyable addon!

It is way past my bedtime, so this will be uploaded later today...

These textures represent a hack used by the Free French airmen of the Normandie-Niemen Regiment in the Autumn of 1943.

Hope you'll enjoy...

Fleurdelys

Members who have read this thread: 39