Mirage IIIB Alternate Afterburner

Thread: Mirage IIIB Alternate Afterburner

Mirage IIIB Alternate Afterburner

Attachment 87163Attachment 87162

Okay folks, a little quick & dirty throw together package to augment the excellent Mirage IIIB package's Afterburner effect for users who want a flame plume added to the already excellent built in effect.

At this point, all the needed files are readily available at Flightsim.com so all I am going to do is reference them here and show the install procedure. I thought about creating a package and uploading it but it would be delayed until I secured customary permissions for re-use and I wanted to get this out now. Also, I take into consideration that the RestuaraviaTeam might decide to update the Afterburner effect so I do not wish to supersede any plans they may already have or wish to update. I have tested the AB effect update and didn't run into to any problems with the gauge/effects interfering with the model or it's own effects. So I feel it is stable for use. In the above images, you'll see there is a thinner "Day Burner" flame plume and a wider "Night Burner" plume. Some may want the latter effect for all around use but you'll have the easy option to edit in/out the effect to suit your desired effect. The wide night burner plume does have a bit of glow built in enhancing the night effect.

1st things first:

You'll need to download these files from flightsim.com:

f-14dabh.zip --->effects only
    mig-21ab.zip --->effects only
    ab_f16_.zip use this gauge folder only-->KO_F16_FX

Use the contents of the 3 different download files (listed above in red). Place the effects contents in your FSX/Effects + Effects/Texture folders.
    Place the KO_F16_FX gauge folder in your FSX/Gauges folder

Next,
    open your MirageIIIB panel folder and open the panel cfg file and add the following at the bottom of the VC entries and save:

[Vcockpit05]
    Background_color=0,0,0
    size_mm=32,32
    visible=0
    pixel_size=32,32
    texture=$exhaust

gauge00=KO_F16_FX!F16_AB_THROGGLE, 0,0,1,1

Last,

Open the aircraft cfg file and scroll down to the lights section and add the following entries for your choice of day or night AB effects:

Daytime Afterburner
    light.2 = 9, -12.50, 0.00, 0.40, fx_21um_ab.flame.fx,
    //light.3 = 9, -16.50, 0.00, -0.30,fx_F14_Burnerflame //optional wide/night burner flame

Nighttime Afterburner
    light.2 = 9, -12.50, 0.00, 0.40, fx_21um_ab.flame.fx,
    light.3 = 9, -16.50, 0.00, -0.30,fx_F14_Burnerflame //optional wide/night burner flame

That's it!

BTW, I did not install this into the Multiplayer version and thus not test it but it should work okay with some renumbering on the entries.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Excellent work as always. Thanks for sharing!
    :ernae:

Sorry guys, but the Mirage has never had a visible AB flame in the daytime.
    This flame is visible only at night.

What say the authors:
    "Pour ce qui est de la flamme PC, nous rions un peu sous cape.... en effet, en réel le Mirage III ne fait pas de flamme de PC visible de jour, elle ne se voit que de nuit, mais nous ne l'avons pas modélisé, vieux comme nous sommes, la nuit, nous on dort."

Flavio - P3D v4.5 - MSFS 2020 - Win 11 Pro 64
    i912900KF 5.2ghz - ASUS TUFZ690 - AIO Cooler Master PL360 Flux Masterliquid - 32gb Kingston Fury 3600mhz - Asus RTX 2080 Super - AGON 32'' AG323FCXE 165mhz -
    MCP 737R 2015 Virtual Avionics - SSDs M2 2Tb+1Tb XPG

Sorry guys, but the Mirage has never had a visible AB flame in the daytime.
    This flame is visible only at night.
    Not so, I've seen them in person and seen a flame plume in broad daylight although depending on conditions and engine/fuel factors, it is more visible/less visible at times(also with different coloration from one to the other). The representation I did shows shock diamonds which seem more common to the M53 engine on the Mirage 2000/2000-5 but there was more than one occasion I saw a similar effect from III/V aircraft in full burner. Again, the way the effect I installed may seem overblown but it is optional and a good point here for more research and testing for options to suit different user tastes.

Attachment 87230Attachment 87231

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by StormILM View Post
    Not so, I've seen them in person and seen a flame plume in broad daylight although depending on conditions and engine/fuel factors, it is more visible/less visible at times(also with different coloration from one to the other). The representation I did shows shock diamonds which seem more common to the M53 engine on the Mirage 2000/2000-5 but there was more than one occasion I saw a similar effect from III/V aircraft in full burner. Again, the way the effect I installed may seem overblown but it is optional and a good point here for more research and testing for options to suit different user tastes.

What variant is that? I like the look with the canards.
    Cheers,
    Dave

Great shots Sion AB
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=81650&dateline=141228  2824

The same Swiss Mirage a few seconds earlier:

Attachment 87236

Quote Originally Posted by beercan View Post
    The same Swiss Mirage a few seconds earlier:

Attachment 87236
    Yes! Exactly, different flame plumes under different conditions. Sometimes the pilots utilize a lower burner zone on TO rather than full burner. I have seen this with many fighter types that have modulating afterburners.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by zsoltquack View Post

That is nice! A more subtle effect.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ok, so now that the effect is matched up to the pictures StormILM posted, where can we get it! Nice job zsoltquack!
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Quote Originally Posted by DaveKDEN View Post
    What variant is that? I like the look with the canards.
    This is the Mirage IIIDS
    Here are some Pics from last Week, we did some Afterburner Test's

Cheers Isra

For those wanting the more red effect, if you have the SSW F-104 series and kept the previous effects(look in your effects folder to see if ssw_fx_afterburner is there), then you you can add this:

light.X = 9, -10.50, 0.00, 0.40, ssw_fx_afterburner

As noted before, for users who prefer the standard non-flame plume effect (during day operations), just comment out which ever effect line you chose to use by adding // at the beginning of the line. For night ops, remove the // entries.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]