Paiken's paralyzing plunge... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Paiken's paralyzing plunge...

Leaving KGCN for VEGA$. The intern is super excited to get to Sin City for the first time. Looks like there could be a bit of a layover! The 12 kt crosswind will make take off interesting.
    http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ShowFli...a8lYn2J6KzBrZ0
    Expect banging, belching and an occasional manly fart as you roar down the runway at full power. (I have found that the engine can make similar noises)

Down safely in Vegas. The crosswind takeoff at KGCN was a little hairy; I nearly trimmed the tops off a few trees, but once we were over the top of them the flight settled in. No problems for the rest of the flight. Little Miss Intern (as I've been calling her) has booked us rooms at Mandalay Bay for the night. Time to call a cab.
    Distance 144.8 nm
    Time 50:41
    Fuel used 80 lbs.
    Attachment 87334Attachment 87335
    Attachment 87336Attachment 87337
    Expect banging, belching and an occasional manly fart as you roar down the runway at full power. (I have found that the engine can make similar noises)

Departing Las Vegas for Furnace Creek. I'd like to tell you what happened last night, but as the commercial says, "What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas."
    http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ShowFli...EOHwOxqW7JunTA

Down safely at Furnace Creek in lovely Death Valley. Uneventful flight...no turbulence, and the intern was still nursing a hangover.
    Distance 87.9
    Time 31:41
    Fuel used 50 lbs.
    Attachment 87385Attachment 87386

Leaving L06 for O24. Mono Lake, here we come.
    http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ShowFli...TzpR4bBOHuYEVc

Down safe at O24.
    Distance 139.3 nm
    Time 48:54
    Fuel used 82 lbs.
    Attachment 87443Attachment 87444

Departing Mono Lake for Mariposa...
    http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ShowFli...e9d4sLaHyt66D8

Well, I made it to O68. Quite an adventure. 15 kt crosswind on takeoff turned into 38-40 kt headwind once I reached the peaks outside of Mono Lake. I made a wrong turn somewhere and nearly ate the side of a mountain. Topped out at 11,696 ft, just barely clearing the ridge in front of me. Time above the soft ceiling was about 45 seconds, although it seemed much longer. Alexa was yelling in my ears to watch out for the mountain. I asked her to please shut the up and let me fly the plane. Once we cleared the ridge it was smooth sailing through Yosemite.
    Distance 51.8 nm
    Time 22:25
    Fuel used 36 lbs.
    Years taken off my life...7
    Max altitude 11696 ft
    Attachment 87555Attachment 87556
    Attachment 87557Attachment 87558

Time to wrap this thing up. Departing O68 for KSQL.
    http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ShowFli...vcTPWs8OvNHaDs

Down safely at San Carlos. It was a nice, easy flight with no complaints from the intern. I'll be heading over to the Top of the Mark once I button up the plane. Won't be telling too many tales though, I'm bringing the intern with me. If you see a slightly greying guy with a twenty-something strawberry blonde stop over and we'll buy you a drink.
    Distance 105.3 nm
    Time 38:10
    Fuel used 61 lbs.
    Attachment 87705Attachment 87706

Congrats Pat. Sounds like you had an interesting time.

Great runs, Pat. Glad to have you on board with the rest of the gang.
    -Mike

It was fun. Hope I'll have time to participate in another event. Working for the Post Office makes the RTWR all but impossible for me, but having this event take place over a span of weeks makes it do-able for me. It was also interesting making up stories (not lies, more like creative fiction) to go with the flights.

Quote Originally Posted by paiken View Post
    It was fun. Hope I'll have time to participate in another event.
    Yeah we hope so too... for all the "new and old" alike.

Quote Originally Posted by paiken View Post
    Working for the Post Office makes the RTWR all but impossible for me
    Interesting you should mention this... we (RTWR's) have sort of this creed we fly by -- something I think you could appreciate...

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these racers from the swift completion of their appointed routes.

Works for me.