WWII museum in New Orleans

Thread: WWII museum in New Orleans

WWII museum in New Orleans

If you ever get a chance to go - GO! It's very good as is and they are currently building on to it so it should be even better in the future. Allow plenty of time. I didn't have as much time as I would have liked to have when I went through it a few days ago but I still got to see most of it. Got to see the main things I wanted to see - the planes!
    XP Pro: Intel D975XBX2 /QX6700 @ 3.50GHz / 8800GTX / 2X2GB G.Skill PC2 8500 / Ultra 120 Extreme / 150GB Raptor / 320GB Seagate 7200.10 / PC P&C Silencer 750 PSU / CM Stacker 810 / LITE-ON 20X DVD / X-FI Music

Vista Ultimate 64: Intel D975XBX2 / Q6700 @ 3.6GHz / 8800GTX / 4X2GB G.Skill PC2 8000 / Ultra 120 Extreme / 150GB Raptor / 750GB WD Caviar / PC P&C Silencer 750 PSU / CM Stacker 810 / LITE-ON SATA DVD / onboard sound

The last time I was stationed in New Orleans, the Navy donated a LCVP landing craft to the museum. I worked on that boat the first time I was stationed in New Orleans which as far as I know it was the last time it ever ran as it mostly just sat around on the boat pier in the river then. They were making a big deal out of it's being a "Higgins" boat at the time. It was probably the last LCVP I saw in Navy inventory.

It's a shame the museum couldn't have latched onto the former USS Cabot when it was in New Orleans before it was scrapped. Cabot was the last WWII Independence class CVL in existence.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Members +
    Stephen E. Ambrose, Ph.D. Founder of this NOLA WW2 Museum,:salute:
    1936 – 2002

Author of the bestseller Band of Brothers and Executive Producer of the HBO miniseries, Stephen E. Ambrose wrote an acclaimed, multi-volume biography of Dwight "Ike" Eisenhower’s presidency and his service as the Supreme Commander of the Allied assault on Nazi Germany. Among Ambrose’s numerous other New York Times bestsellers are D-Day and Citizen Soldiers. In addition to founding The National WWII Museum, Dr. Ambrose served as a historical consultant for the film Saving Private Ryan and was a recipient of the National Humanities Award from President Bill Clinton.

Stephen Ambrose inspired and guided the development of The National WWII Museum. He dreamt of a museum that reflected his deep regard for our nation’s citizen soldiers, the workers on the Home Front and the sacrifices and hardships they endured to achieve victory. When The National D-Day Museum opened on June 6, 2000, Ambrose’s dream was realized, but it represented only the first stage of the truly comprehensive institution he envisioned. On September 25, 2003, the United States Congress awarded the Museum the designation of "America’s National World War II Museum."
    The Stephen E. Ambrose Memorial Fund supports the development of the Center for the Study of the American Spirit, its educational programs and oral history and publication initiatives. For more information or to make a donation in Dr. Ambrose’s honor, please call 877-813-3329 x 329.

If you have a Facebook account you can see some pictures I took here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...7961346&type=3

They aren't the best pictures in the world.... All I had with me was my phone - no real camera (probably wouldn't matter as my digital camera is about 10 years old).
    XP Pro: Intel D975XBX2 /QX6700 @ 3.50GHz / 8800GTX / 2X2GB G.Skill PC2 8500 / Ultra 120 Extreme / 150GB Raptor / 320GB Seagate 7200.10 / PC P&C Silencer 750 PSU / CM Stacker 810 / LITE-ON 20X DVD / X-FI Music

Vista Ultimate 64: Intel D975XBX2 / Q6700 @ 3.6GHz / 8800GTX / 4X2GB G.Skill PC2 8000 / Ultra 120 Extreme / 150GB Raptor / 750GB WD Caviar / PC P&C Silencer 750 PSU / CM Stacker 810 / LITE-ON SATA DVD / onboard sound

nice pics..glad you included the halftack..you dont see them very often with the rear door open..

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    The last time I was stationed in New Orleans, the Navy donated a LCVP landing craft to the museum. I worked on that boat the first time I was stationed in New Orleans which as far as I know it was the last time it ever ran as it mostly just sat around on the boat pier in the river then. They were making a big deal out of it's being a "Higgins" boat at the time. It was probably the last LCVP I saw in Navy inventory.

It's a shame the museum couldn't have latched onto the former USS Cabot when it was in New Orleans before it was scrapped. Cabot was the last WWII Independence class CVL in existence.
    Yes, it is a shame they couldn't have saved the USS Cabot. I would have liked to have seen it. The USS Alabama is at Mobile, AL - about 6 1/2 hours drive for me - and the the USS Texas (I've toured it) is just out of Houston - about 4 1/2 hours for me. It would be great to have a carrier in the middle! I would definitely have already been down to see it. (My daughter has been going to school at UNO the last two years. She'll soon have her masters and will be moving to Lincoln, NE to work on getting her PhD so my trips to New Orleans will very limited, if at all, once I get her moved in August.)