problem with guns

Thread: problem with guns

SOH-CM-2023
    Blog Entries

problem with guns

On a bomber I downloaded the main gun switch fires the rear (turret) guns, and the cannon switch fires the forward guns. I would like to switch them so that the main switch fires the forward guns and the cannon switch fires the turret. How can I do this? Is it in the DP? Is it one of the digits in the gunstations? Help! Anyone

Braveheart

Quote Originally Posted by braveheart77521 View Post
    On a bomber I downloaded the main gun switch fires the rear (turret) guns, and the cannon switch fires the forward guns. I would like to switch them so that the main switch fires the forward guns and the cannon switch fires the turret. How can I do this? Is it in the DP? Is it one of the digits in the gunstations? Help! Anyone

Braveheart

Easy...

Look in the DP...

you will see something like this
    gunstation.1=0,24,1,0.08,839,2,0.01,500,2,40,1d1*14,0.6,0.73,3.63,0.1 19651268759032,0,0,0,0,0,0,1.6

Change the number in blue to a 2 for cannons and 1 for guns

just set all of your forward guns to 1 and rear to 2.

easy as that.
    "Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose."-Tom Krause

My works Here: http://www.thefreeflightsite.com/JFortin.htm

Library Staff
    Hi Braveheart & BloodHawk,

Changing the number in blue does what you say, but if you want to keep the armament as machine guns only, you need to change the number after the = sign to designate which trigger on your joystick fires the guns: 0 for machine gun trigger and 1 for cannon trigger.

Here is a handy reference guide:

[GUNSTATIONS]
    gunstation.{A}0= {B}0, {C}2, {D}1, {E}0.01, {F}870, {G}4, {H}0.01, {I}1000, {J}2, {K}40, {L}
    1d1*16, {M}0.55, {N}0.25, {O}2.2, {P}0.128056, {Q}0, {R}0.1, {S}0, {T}0, {U}0, {V}0, {W}0.5

A. Gunstation number: (sequential) this will be the number to associate individual guns with (note
    that there is no particular weapon related to any particular gunstation number. Add as many as you
    want).

B. Trigger type: 0=Mach Gun 1=Cannon 2=Rocket 3=Bomb

C. System association (see last number for each entry in [SYSTEMS]

D. Gun type: 1=Mach gun 2=Cannon 4=Rocket 8=Bomb

E. Rate of fire (divide rounds/second into 1) Example: 50 rounds/sec = 1/50 = .02

F. Muzzle velocity: meters/sec (zero for Rockets & Bombs)

G. Round life (seconds round is tracked by simulation)

H. Muzzle flash: MS says flashes/sec. I disagree; I think this is actually 1/(flashes/sec).
    Typical values are .01 to .05

I. Range that AI aircraft begin firing (Meters)

J. Sound: 0= .303/7.62mm 2= .50 3= 13mm 4= 20mm 5= 30mm (set Bomb/Rocket to zero)

K. Tracer %

L. Damage dice: Typical values: 1d1*10 for .303, 1d1*14 for .50, 1d1*24 for 20mm, Rocket 1d1*300-
    3000, Bomb 1d1*600-6000 (this is the projectile's destructive power)

M. Gunstation X offset (Meters)

N. Gunstation Y offset (Meters)

O. Gunstation Z offset (Meters)

P. Pitch: angle of gunstation up/down (degrees) I suggest using similar angle values from other
    .dps in CFS. But if you must try calculating… The acceleration affects of gravity on objects is
    independent of their weight. If you disregard the aerodynamic properties of the projectile and
    assume it falls at the same rate as any dropped object, then you can use -4.877t2 (t is the travel
    time of the projectile to its target) to determine how far the bullet drops in horizontal flight.
    I would guess the average speed of the projectile is somewhere between its muzzle velocity and
    half that. I'm not going to add the plane's airspeed since the target is probably going just as
    fast. So let's take a target 1000 meters out, muzzle velocity of 870m/sec: t = 1000 / [(870 + 435)
    / 2] = 1.53 sec. This results in a drop of -4.877(1.532) = -11.42m. Now calculate an angle using
    tan ? = X/Z where X = X drop and Z = distance to target.
    Keep in mind this is a very simplified approach and not the proper way to do ballistic
    calculations, however I doubt the MS simulation is much more complicated or accurate. Also, all
    this does you little good in the heat of battle when you're pulling hard on the stick in a 20
    degree climb with 30 degrees of roll. That's what the tracers are for.

Q. Bank: angle of gunstation left/right (degrees) Again, I suggest using similar weapon/angle
    values from other .dps in CFS. If you really must calculate, remember: tan ? = X/Z where X = X
    offset and Z = distance to target.

R. Heading: heading of gunstation (degrees)(Example: A rear facing AI gunstation may have a
    heading of 180)

S. Constraint Angle left (max rotation angle for AI guns)

T. Constraint Angle right (max rotation angle for AI guns)

U. Constraint Angle up (max rotation angle for AI guns)

V. Constraint Angle down (max rotation angle for AI guns)

W. Round weight (oz)

Yeah the guns where from the FOXFOUR F86. so they are 20mm cannons. But for the point it works.

Good writeup KDriver.
    "Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose."-Tom Krause

My works Here: http://www.thefreeflightsite.com/JFortin.htm

SOH-CM-2023
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Guys

I saved the reference. I had my numbers and sequence wrong. The old memory ain't what it used to be>

Braveheart