EasyEd The Occidental Tourist
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EasyEd The Occidental Tourist

EasyEd The Occidental Tourist

Hey All,

Time to get this show on the road. Was going to fly this last weekend but it was the first real taste of spring and summer to come.

Flew down from Nanaimo the other day.

Departing for Moon Island...

-Ed-
    My heroes have always been cowboys and they all carried guns-
    and they all rode horses-that is all but one.
    When he went to the rescue he flew a Cessna plane.
    His ranch was called the "Flying Crown" and "Sky King" was his name. -Jim Dilly-

The rich man writes the book of laws that the poor man must defend, but the highest laws are written on the hearts of honest men. - Ricky Skaggs-

Hey All,

Down safe at Moon Island - later named Bowerman after the WWII fighter pilot hero.

Nice flight but SSLLOOWW! I didn't load enough fuel and had to lean like mad and actually ran out of gas 3 nm or so from the airport - my first ever dead stick landing in flight simulator. Wasn't sure I'd make it across the lake but did.

-Ed-
    His ranch was called the "Flying Crown" and "Sky King" was his name. -Jim Dilly-

The rich man writes the book of laws that the poor man must defend, but the highest laws are written on the hearts of honest men. - Ricky Skaggs-

Welcome to the gang, Ed.
    -Mike

Hey All,

Might as well head for Hood River. The night time is the best time... Hope Hood River has lights... Should have an "extra" 1.5 gals on board this time.

-Ed-

Hey All,

Down safe and sound at Hood River. Even had 5% fuel left. I was a bit nervous with only a gallon in each side. So I leaned out a bit as I was kinda gun-shy. Nice night time flight.

Hmmm... how far to Clyde "Upside down" Pangborn's place?

-Ed-

PS What the heck launching for Clyde's...

Hey All,

And hello to all of you!

Down safe and sound at Clyde's. Clyde an I are gonna head for my favorite Mexican food place in Wenatchee and then wander up to Leavenworth for some German beer. Back flying tomorrow if all goes well.

The banker is on his own - seems he's a wall street insider - ain't got much use for them.

Nice flight kinda hard to tell how fast to descend down that ridge though. Even had a dash8 land over the top of me. I think these night flights are gonna slow me down but that is OK - real time real weather is how I like it.

-Ed-

Welcome aboard Ed. Don't forget, the flight isn't over until the paper work weight equals the aircraft gross weight...

We're using a Google Docs spreadsheet "log book" system to track flight data:

http://www.prbdatasystems.com/AirRacing/WR2013/WR.html

MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Hey All,

Prepping for KSFF departing in the next 5 or so.

Good to see ol Clyde Pangborn again - he seems to have gotten over his failed round the world speed flight that ended in Siberia but did get an airport named after him. Oh and the german beer at Gustav's in Leavenworth is a good as ever.

-Ed-

Hey All,

Down safe and sound Spokane. I graduated from high school in Spokane and actually have a reunion to go to in Sept this year. Nice to see the ol city - a major part of my life was here and my brother loved it so much he lived here till he passed away in Spokane 3 years ago. Not much else to say... Moving on to Kalispell. Launching in 3 or 4.

-Ed-

Hey All,

So what is the deal? Have any of you ever seen duenna fail to record a flight? I flew KSFF to S27 - see images - duenna was green when I took off like below - as I rolled down runway it showed the green bar and said Go - at the end no duenna output. It shows that I was as KSFF and all green but never recorded a thing and dropped the baton. There is nothing in the duenna output temp directory for the KSFF to S27 flight. I went up to 9000 and cruised at 8500. Dang!

I do have some a flash update nag (that never does anything but popup) and nagging antivirus ad that popup at the most inopportune times and my image capture program pops me out of FS every other image so I have to keep track and I fly consecutive legs without leaving FS or rebooting - wondering about resources on this 9 year -old computer. Dang.

-Ed-

Got a quick call from Ms. Murphy. "No problem." she said. "Just fly the leg again to produce the proper Duenna authentication. No penalty. This glitch is a 'non-event'."

"Please apologize to the pilot for the extra flying. He will understand that we need a complete Duenna record of each leg."

"And," she continued, "tell the young man that if he were tracking his flights on the Duenna server we would have a record of his leg. A wonderful backup, the Duenna server is not required but sometimes it proves useful."
    -Mike

Hey All,

Launching KSFF to S27...

-Ed-

Hey All,

Down safe S27 - launching KBZN.

-Ed-

Hey All,

Aborting real life stuff...

Had to leave for about 45mins to pick up my son getting off work and who's ride was not going to make it.

Launching for KBZN again in about 5.

-Ed-

Hey All,

Down safe and sound KBZN. Nice flight - that L is kinda embarrassing - stepped away from the computer for a min - came back - thought I was gonna crash - hard right then left - don't think I needed to. I fly air hauler a fair bit and my base is in Montana so I usually know my way around the state.

And of course a hat's off kudos to Sydney and Lauren for the Montana sceneries. Think I'll borrow that Chevy and run into town for some Mother's Day stuff.

-Ed-

PS I will get caught up on the spreadsheet.

Hey All,

Launching for KJAC

-Ed-

Ed, please note that you have to fill in your flight data for each leg here:

http://www.prbdatasystems.com/AirRacing/WR2013/WR.html

Also see the button at the top of the page labeled "Western Roundup 2013"

Thanks!
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Hey All,

Down safe and sound KJAC launching for Heber City.

In 2008 I was at a wildfire conference in Jackson Hole. Great time and the conference was about the Yellowstone fires 20 years later. Great stories like the one where the Senator thought he had the authority to direct retardant bombers since he was in the air - and the Congressman who wanted to build a pipeline from the Pacific Ocean to put out the fires - true stuff! Really!

Remember this country well. I was 4 at the time and we lived in Belfry Montana in a trailer house and my dad thought somebody had hit the tongue of the trailer in august when it was actually the earthquake that buried people and created quake lake. In 7th grade I lived in West Yellowstone and went to Hebgen lake alot - still remember the apple beer which was popular then which our 7th grade basketball team favored on road trips to Bozeman and into Idaho.

Love flyin my home country.

-Ed-

Hey All,

Down safe and sound Heber City. Will post details later - Mom's Day eat out now.

-Ed-

PS I will catch up on the spreadsheet stuff.

Hey All,

Details for flight to Heber City.

And launching for Canyonlands...

-Ed-

Hey All,

Down safe Canyonlands launching for KPGA ASAP.

-Ed-

Hey All,

Down safe in Page - errand to run.

-Ed-

Hey All,

Launching KGCN - trying to make tracks...

-Ed-

Hey All,

Down safe KGCN - launching for KLAS.

-Ed-

Hey All,

Down and safe Vegas... Does Death Valley have lights?

-Ed-

An edit: It does OK lets go... launching - canceling have to pick up my son from work...