Was a "Nam" campaign for CFS2 ever done? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Was a "Nam" campaign for CFS2 ever done?

dsawan
    Like jadg says, SF is good. You get the avionics, free addons, and enemy sams not to mention shrike missiles and bullpup agm's which dont always hit their targets.

I have Wings over Vietnam and its a pretty good Sim representing the Vietnam Air war. I still would like to see a CFS2 version.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/sim/wings...am/review.html

I have always given Dirtman a hard time here at the Outhouse. But the truth is, I have a lot of respect for his technical expertise and vision. I also know that he has a brilliant support team. Dirtman also has a certain social talent that has allowed him to pull these people together and discuss the project in detail. To sum, this project is going to be great because the CFS4 Vietnam team has a great leader. All of the shortcomings will be minimized and the strengths will become the focus of the project.

Now Dirtbag, pull your head out of your arse and get this project finished or I am going to make another bombing run on your house that will consist of fresh cow chips doused with gasoline and a few dead skunks just for proper etiquette. And next time, stop drinking so many fluids before bed!

Not necessarily....

Quote Originally Posted by klausreiss View Post
    Vietnam - does this make sense in CFS2, if you couldn’t use guided weapons like the sidewinder or the sparrow? A Phantom without these weapons is not a real Phantom.
    I’m not sure, but I think most of the Mig-kills in Vietnam are made with Sidewinder.
    The failure rate of all A2A missiles early on in VN led to the use of pod guns and later integral Vulcans, which accounted for many kills in VN. In fact, the first MiG kill in the conflict made by a USAF F4 was an unarmed/unguided Sidewinder fired in frustration at about 100yds range. Early on the NVN MiG pilots feared the Navy's Crusader (last of the gunfighters) with her four integral 20mm. The Crusader was more than a match for the MiGs in a dogfight, even though she carried the AIM-9 too. Dirtman has lent much realism to the VN scenario with the use of Tango's SA-2 G2A missile, as well as his 8-Second-Timed Sidewinder. The former is 'guided' by the mission-builder, while the later is unguided, but has a large blast radius and can be deadly. All in all, Dirt's crew can put together a pretty convincing set of missions.

SOH-CM-2013
    Madison County, Iowa (3rd Corn Patch On The Left)

For Just ONE Moment...

Quote Originally Posted by erufle View Post
    ...I have always given Dirtman a hard time here at the Outhouse. But the truth is, I have a lot of respect for his technical expertise and vision. ...
    Now Dirtbag, pull your head out of your arse and get this project finished or I am going to make another bombing run on your house ...

Erufle, you had me goin' for a bit... I thot mebbe the holidays had softened your outlook !!!

LOL
    SC
    "...And, When I died, They washed me out of the turret with a hose..."

Vietnam campaign?

Hi all, I haven't been on SOH for some time (I know - what's wrong with me) and I was wondering how progress was going with the Vietnam campaign that was being worked on a while back? The progress pics back then looked very good so hopefully it is still under construction?

Unhappy Re: Vietnam-4-CFS2

The Bad News

The Vietnam-4-CFS2 project is currently on hold due to extremely low framerate issues. My current PC simply does not have the resources to run the upgrade effectively.

3.0GHz Single core (478 "Prescott" w/HT)
    2GB DDR PC3200 RAM
    512MB DDR2 NVIDIA 7300GT

The Good News

I will be acquiring a much more powerful PC shortly and work will resume.

The upside is that this will set the minimum specifications that this package can be run on:

Dual core (minimum) or Quad Core (recommended) 2.8GHz and above.

3+GB DDR2 Ram

1GB Video card (minimum)

If your PC is below these specs; then installing this package will disappoint you & waste your time.

Version 1.5 has been tested on a 2.7GHz Dual core, 3GB RAM & 1GB NVIDIA video card and ran acceptably well; BUT was not completely tested for F/R's in certain problem areas.

=============================

Please note that Vietnam-4-CFS2 is not a campaign; it is an upgrade of CFS2 to a "stand alone" Vietnam only install. The first 3 campaigns are: USAF, USN & North Vietnam Air Force.

This upgrade is for skilled & experienced CFS2 users only. The basic sim has been extensively modified to work better with high performance jets (& helicopters) rather than props.

Also the entire screen interface has been modernized - right down to the buttons.

Thank You for your interest.

Attachment 28875
    Dirtman

~~ CFS2 Fulfills my need to "peacefully" blow things up ~~

Thanks for the reply Dirtman, I think my computer will run it nicely. Thanks to a recent upgrade I now have a 2.9ghz quad core, 4gb of RAM, 1 gb graphics card. It runs Modern Warfare very well. I will be waiting patiently for the project to be completed :cost1:

Fidenza, Northern Italy, 65 miles south of Milano

Question Was a "Nam" campaign for CFS2 ever done?

Hi everybody!

Morton's repaints of Vietnam-era jets made me wish to set up a CFS2 Vietnam install.

Although I found many other aircrafts suitable for it, a lot of FS8 material that can be successfully converted to CFS2 and used, I found only very few sceneries, 3 Ian Elliot's South Vietnam airoprts, and no missions/campaigns whatsoever.

There are modern payloads available for both sides, SAM missile AA objects, Russian MiG-17s and 21s in North Vietnam colours, there's even a stock C-47 converted into a Vietnam guerrilla night interdiction gunship!

What stirres my curiosity is that in many aircraft downloads I found comments about a "forthcoming" Vietnam campaign. Was such a campaign ever put together, and, if yes, where can it be downloaded from?

Thank you!
    KH
    :ernae:
    My wee mods here at the Outhouse:

FileUploadName=kelticheart

I don't know what it's like, but there are a couple of payware copies here:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vietnam-Air-.../dp/B000065BMV

Was thinking of getting it a few years back but tried the opposition instead - CFS2 lacks a bit in missile capability.

Regards, SGV

I think Tango had it last. there was another post on it somewhere.
    "Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose."-Tom Krause

My works Here: http://www.thefreeflightsite.com/JFortin.htm

Reply...

Hey guys,

I did a little tunneling through past threads and came up with some info for you...feast away. I combined them all in this thread to make it easier for you!
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Quote Originally Posted by Rami View Post
    Hey guys,

I did a little tunneling through past threads and came up with some info for you...feast away. I combined them all in this thread to make it easier for you!
    Thanks Rami!

It looks like heck knows when such thing will ever be released, not counting that I haven't seen posts from Dirtman in quite a while, his last post to this thread dates back to January 2011......

At least, when the time will come, I'll be ready with the aircraft fleet!

Cheers!
    KH

Vietnam sceneries H.U!

To Whom It May Concern:........

I am finding over at Flightsim.com a large amount of Vietnam war airport sceneries designed for FS2002, which, if I'm correct, shouldn't have many conversion issues with CFS2. I haven't installed any of them yet, but I quick look inside the downloads shows the same file structure, with *.bgl in \scenery and texture files in \texture, we usually find in CFS2 sceneries.

Thay are all designed by George Knowles, and, other than the fact they are not GSL sceneries, I think they can be collected.

To find them, just select "File Library" from Flightsim.com, do a "File Search" and enter "George Knowles" as a search key. You'll get all 38 of them.

Cheers!
    KH

Hi Kelti,

Thanks for the heads up! Ian Elliot did several Vietnam air bases, but no where near the extent Mr. Knowles has done. Now I'll have some bases in Thailand from which to fly my F-105Ds that Morton has so wonderfully painted!

TW
    Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap!

Thai sanam bin

Let us know how those FS 8 airfields in Thailand work out Typhoon.

I've flown out of Takli, Udon and Khon Kaen on various assignments.

Chok di (good luck).
    Keep your airspeed up,

Jagdflieger

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...me=Jagdflieger

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty
    to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
    deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Benjamin Franklin

In addition to George Knowles sceneries...

Also look for Chu Lai Airbase by Al Simms for both FS8 and FS9. Al Simms also provided 'Nam era military buildings, huts, bunkers, macros and objects too.

Not sure if FS9 AFCAD files for George Knowles Thailand Military bases by Larry Steinborn will work in CFS2. However they can be found on AVSIM, Flightsim and Simviation. Those bases included are:

VTNP Nam Phong RTAFB nkp-rtafb.zip (Avsim)/(Simviation) Pg. 63
    VTUD Udorn RTAFB Udorn rt.zip (Flightsim)/(Simviation) Pg. 63
    VTPI Takhli RTAFB TakhliRTAFB.zip (Simviation) Pg. 64
    VTUN Khorat RTAFB KoratRTAFB.zip (Simviation) Pg. 63
    VTUU Ubon RTAFB UbonRTAFB.zip/Ubon2_zip (Simviation) Pg. 61
    VTUW Nakhom Phanom RTAFB NKPRTAFB.zip (Simviation) Pg. 63

Da Nang Area, Vietnam 1970: danang70.zip for FS98 by André Lederer & Udo Entenmann (This is in addition to Knowles Danang AB scenery).

*Trees_v3.zip by Gerrish Gray will be needed for George Knowles sceneries.

:USA-flag:

Well, did an install of the Takhli scenery with trees_v3 and kept getting a ctd. Crap.

it might be able to be converted. I've never tried but maybe.
    "Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose."-Tom Krause

My works Here: http://www.thefreeflightsite.com/JFortin.htm

IIRC.....

didn't Xavier do Indochina, Hainandao add-ons as GSL and also a SouthChina GSL? Could those form a basis for a Indochina/Vietnam campaign/mission add-on. Some reading I had done was that some of the early NVA bases were actually Japanese bases from WW2 and just modernized.
    Haven't found any missions for those bases but if available wouldn't be too hard to reconfigure the "calls" for some more modern a/c.

Just a thought on my part and probably not worth a darn.

Also I tried some of those FS9 bases and they caused alot of problems as they are now. Converting them is well above my paygrade of peon.

Good idea, but....

Quote Originally Posted by Fibber View Post
    didn't Xavier do Indochina, Hainandao add-ons as GSL and also a SouthChina GSL? Could those form a basis for a Indochina/Vietnam campaign/mission add-on. Some reading I had done was that some of the early NVA bases were actually Japanese bases from WW2 and just modernized.
    Haven't found any missions for those bases but if available wouldn't be too hard to reconfigure the "calls" for some more modern a/c.

Just a thought on my part and probably not worth a darn.

Also I tried some of those FS9 bases and they caused alot of problems as they are now. Converting them is well above my paygrade of peon.
    Hi Fibber,

although yours is in theory a good idea, considering Xavier's Far East sceneries are all GSL-ised, I had my share of so-so experience coupling the sceneries which came with Fox4's KoW addon with Xavier's WWII Korean strips.
    Mine was the usual CFS2er's attempt for a richer environment than the bare CFS2 world, in some case the same location airbases just stood side by side without interferring with each other, in other cases they overlapped with a poor visual result.

The real issue came with the length of Xavier's WWII strips and the fact that they all feature a rough, dirt surface, which was not very well accepted by the Sabres and the Panthers. All other aircrafts, naturally all WWII derived piston-engined planes like Skyraiders, had not a single problem, but I experienced some jet blowup landing or taking off from Xavier's Korean strips.

Since I always fly with the flight model set to "hard" and all reality features on for maximum immersion factor, in a couple of instances I blew up my Sabre just taxiing towards the hangar or parking spot, shooting to hell an otherwise good mission.The jet I had more difficulties taking off with, for its unfavourable power-to-weight ratio, is the straight-winged F-84G Thunderjet, which always ate up the entire dirt strip length, sometimes even overshot it.
    The length of runways cannot be modified, as all the data one can tinker with in the airbases.dat is all dedicated to AI planes, not affecting the main plane at all. Besides, as far as my knowledge goes, the natural roughness of a dirt strip cannot be modified either.

I gather in Vietnam we'd have the same problem. Heavily loaded fighter-bombers would have a rough life taking off from a dirt strip, let's not talk of the runway length a B-52 would need.
    I am so sorry for dismantling your suggestion, but I think we'd need paved, long runways in Vietnam more than in Korea and Xavier's beautiful WWII-era sceneries cannot provide them.

TYPHOON WILLY:

Did you install the FS9 sceneries suggested by p14u2nv, or the FS8 from Flightsim.com? As far as I know FS9 sceneries, as well as CFS3 ones, are not compatible with CFS2, while the senior sim can digest FS2002 sceneries and gobble up FS2000 ones with no problem.

Cheers!
    KH

KELTI.........

.....forget about the "Buffs" having their feet on the ground in SNAM. No way shape or form were the bases able to handle them. By the time they got airborne they were already at minimum over NVam.
    Dirt strips the "fan guys" could handle. Shorter stips were usable for the likes of the F-5's. That is beside the bases like Dang(Damn)Nahn(sp) which could service the jets.

Beside my thought about Xavier bases was just that ... a thought.

Hi Kelti,

I wasn't able to get the FS2002 Takhili Airbase to work, kept getting a CTD. I even installed the trees but still no go.

TW

Oh The Good ol' Days of Dirt and Humor

I used to Skype with Dirtman once in a while, and I know Rami and some of you other guys did so on a more regular basis. I seem to recall him offering me a beta of what had been done on the project so far, but that was a couple of years ago. I turned down the beta because he said the FPS were too low. Now, I have no recall regarding what the beta included but I had assumed it included some scenery (hence the FPS issues).

I haven't heard from Daddy Dirt in a year or so because my wife . . . well . . . you see . . . how do you say . . . oh yea . . . yo no tengo machismo . . . but GOD I LOVED THAT MAN! What fun we had jousting back and forth in the CFS2 forum! At one point I think we were both about to be banned but it was all in fun . . . SO MUCH FUN! Those days were the pinnacle of fun and laughter here at the SOH CFS2 forum . . . at least IMHO.
    Here's to you Daddy Dirt:ernae: wherever you are!

Has no one been in touch with Dirtman and asked him for whatever files he may still have regarding the project?

Just thinking about those good old days makes me want to get in touch with him. I will ask about the project but bear in mind he may not have everything that was supposed to go into the project. Some of the SOH members who were active a couple of years ago, but are no longer, could probably tell us what happened to the files from that unfinished project. If you know who they are, try to get in touch with them and maybe we can upload parts of the project instead of waiting two more years for a HUGE project that will probably never get finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Typhoon Willy View Post
    Hi Kelti,

I wasn't able to get the FS2002 Takhili Airbase to work, kept getting a CTD. I even installed the trees but still no go.

TW
    Sorry, TW, I can't help you because I haven't installed any of those sceneries yet. I am only collecting all the Vietnam related materials so that, one day, I can set up a Vietnam CFS2 install.

At any rate, if a scenery bgl file creates conflicts with CFS2 engine there's nothing much that one can do, apart from storing the scenery for future reference. I also have FS2002 but it's not installed. If you happen to have it as well, I would use it to test if the scenery is any good at all. Unfortunately, not everything we download is bug-free!

Cheers!
    KH

Members who have read this thread: 2